Vintage Klipsch / Heritage

bkevind

Just venting for a moment.  I've been on the hunt for Heresy speakers for the office.  I have a desire to spin some nostalgic vinyl with vintage Klipsch. In my area they are not coming up often, and when they do they are priced higher than what seems to be reasonable to others.

Yesterday, a nice looking pair of Heresy's came up for sale, I saw the ad within 2 hours of posting and texted right away.  Response within seconds was "they are sold".  Huh?  2 hours?  He was asking $400.  Another guy is selling a pair of so-so looking Heresy for $700.  WTHeck is going on 'round here...

Today, a nice looking pair of Forte II have showed up - he is asking $800.  That seems on the very high side.  I'm somewhat tempted anyway, even though I want them in the office where they won't have the space to really open up.  (where maybe Heresy makes more sense).

Those Belle's are still listed for $2500.  Austin area prices are silly.

Perhaps I will let it rest.  I have excellent speakers in the office already.

/end vent.

11 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Just venting for a moment.  I've been on the hunt for Heresy speakers for the office.  I have a desire to spin some nostalgic vinyl with vintage Klipsch. In my area they are not coming up often, and when they do they are priced higher than what seems to be reasonable to others.

Yesterday, a nice looking pair of Heresy's came up for sale, I saw the ad within 2 hours of posting and texted right away.  Response within seconds was "they are sold".  Huh?  2 hours?  He was asking $400.  Another guy is selling a pair of so-so looking Heresy for $700.  WTHeck is going on 'round here...

Today, a nice looking pair of Forte II have showed up - he is asking $800.  That seems on the very high side.  I'm somewhat tempted anyway, even though I want them in the office where they won't have the space to really open up.  (where maybe Heresy makes more sense).

/end vent.

Lol, just face it, you may well not be happy until you get some Klipsch.

You could start a WTB ad in the Garage section here if you want to, and then there

would be more eyes looking. Who know, a member here may have a 

pair with your name on it. Location appears to be the case at times

and just plano good fortune.

20 minutes ago, bkevind said:

I track Heritage prices and your observation is correct, Klipsch seems to be in short supply in the Lone Star state and when they do show up, IMO they command higher prices than the "average" I have from nationwide sales.  I keep prices and notes for research purposes and I'd be happy to send you the spreadsheet if you shoot me a PM.

I show Forte II average $472 and Heresy at $382.  Belles check in at an average of $1762. 

However, you are in Texas, and a pair of speakers is worth whatever a willing Buyer and Seller agree to.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bkevind said:

/end vent.

1.  So-So looking Heresy's for $700 is high.  There are several pair listed around the Chicago area for that and higher.  Doesn't mean they are going to sell at that of course...

2.  Nice Forte II's for $800 is not too bad.  Depends on walnut/oak/black and closer inspection....

3.  Nice Belle's for $2500 is reasonable.  What is silly are the prices that are asked for not-so-nice.....

46 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lol, just face it, you may well not be happy until you get some Klipsch.

You could start a WTB ad in the Garage section here if you want to, and then there

would be more eyes looking. Who know, a member here may have a 

pair with your name on it. Location appears to be the case at times

and just plano good fortune.

Yeah it's stuck in my head so this may not be a problem that I can just let go of haha.

35 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I track Heritage prices and your observation is correct, Klipsch seems to be in short supply in the Lone Star state and when they do show up, IMO they command higher prices than the "average" I have from nationwide sales.  I keep prices and notes for research purposes and I'd be happy to send you the spreadsheet if you shoot me a PM.

I show Forte II average $472 and Heresy at $382.  Belles check in at an average of $1762. 

However, you are in Texas, and a pair of speakers is worth whatever a willing Buyer and Seller agree to.

That's the key, a thing is worth what a buyer is willing to pay ultimately.  Supply/demand influence that, and buyer patience.

I have very little patience for buying or selling, hence I tend to buy high and sell low.  

37 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

1.  So-So looking Heresy's for $700 is high.  There are several pair listed around the Chicago area for that and higher.  Doesn't mean they are going to sell at that of course...

2.  Nice Forte II's for $800 is not too bad.  Depends on walnut/oak/black and closer inspection....

3.  Nice Belle's for $2500 is reasonable.  What is silly are the prices that are asked for not-so-nice.....

I did a sanity check on Ebay, but that turned out to be an insanity check.  Crazy prices there, but like you said, that doesn't mean it will sell at that price.

The Forte II I'm thinking about are oiled walnut. Self described in great condition. Can't really see the cabinet in the pics.  The passive radiator have their dust caps dented in a bit:

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-forte-ii-speakers/6357380825.html

• Like 1

Dust caps are easy to fix with a very gentle vacuum, or, easy and cheap to replace.

IMHO, oiled Walnut are probably the most desireable on the market.  Go and listen, validate all the drivers, if the cabinets are truly nice, offer $625, settle on $700.  (If you REALLY want them....)  Very good condition walnut Forte II's actually don't come around all that often....

As an aside, I had something sort of funny happen to me this past weekend...(related to the asking/offering price)  Went to an estate sale, where the gentleman was an avid golfer.  He had probably 50-75 different  putters in his basement, along with hundreds of other clubs, bags, shoes, etc, etc.  I found a nice "vintage" putter that I was interested in, and took it upstairs to the checkout table.  All of the clubs were priced at $11.00.  I also had two vinyl albums which were priced at $4.00 each.  I got to the table, and said to the lady "Will you take $15.00 for all three of these?" She said, "Well, I'm a pretty tight budget, so I'll take $13.00"......Pause, pause, pause......How could I resist?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Schu said:

I think we may have seen the bottom of the market for vintage Klipsch gear... prices will probably stay stable or trend upwards slightly for the foreseeable future. Unless something tragic happens.

I completely agree with this statement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkevind said:

/end vent.

I am really sorry you were not faster on the trigger and lost out on the $400.00 Heresys.  If in good shape, IMO $400.00 is fair.  In okay shape, $700.00 is not fair IMO.  I paid $70.00 for mine and $365.00 for my Heresy II's.  Both version 1 and 2 pop up often enough that you will have another chance.  

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I think we may have seen the bottom of the market for vintage Klipsch gear... prices will probably stay stable or trend upwards slightly for the foreseeable future. Unless something tragic happens.

I agree.  Hipsters are in and so is vintage.

Bill

6 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I got to the table, and said to the lady "Will you take $15.00 for all three of these?" She said, "Well, I'm a pretty tight budget, so I'll take $13.00"......Pause, pause, pause......How could I resist?

You drive a hard bargain!  :lol:

• Like 1

Ok.  Scratched the itch finally.  Forte II.  Yes I overpaid :rolleyes:

I figure, +/- $200 is not worth agonizing over.  If it was a problem, then I shouldn't be shopping in this ball park anyway. These are forever kind of speakers.  Especially when I invest time/effort in recapping the xo's and whatever else can be done (Crites maybe?).

Whatever the case.  I have them, now in the office.  They are too big for the office. Hence, they are perfect for the office :D

Will take my time getting to know them.  First through them was Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (vinyl).  Very enjoyable to say the least.  I do get the sense they want to be cranked louder, and want more space to stretch into.

• Like 4