Vintage Klipsch / Heritage

bkevind

On 10/23/2017 at 1:53 PM, Schu said:

I think we may have seen the bottom of the market for vintage Klipsch gear... prices will probably stay stable or trend upwards slightly for the foreseeable future. Unless something tragic happens.

I think having Klipsch come out with the new Forte III's (at $3,600/pair) is causing a renewed interest in the older used Heritage speakers which don't cost near $3,600/pair.  Forte and Chorus speakers seem to have increased in price in the past year, at least what I see here in Houston and on eBay.

I think I contributed to it also, as I probably overpaid for a pair of mint Quartets I just bought.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, bkevind said:

recapping the xo's and whatever else can be done (Crites maybe?).

Hi bkevind, 

Highly recommend the Crites Ti diaphragms on your new Forte's ... BTW; congrats! :)

I got a pair of Forte's about a month ago and thought they were "missing something." (Did not even sound as good as my KG4's.) Yes; missing Crites Ti diaphragms ... they sound awesome now.

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 2:08 PM, wvu80 said:

I track Heritage prices

Hi wvu80,

Think I need a pair of La Scala's ... yes; like a hole in the head :) Found some locally for $2000 (Tampa Bay, FL). Reasonable or??

But maybe don't need them :( as they would replace my (just upgraded) Cornwall I's.  Less base ... is the sound that much better?

Many Thanks,

Cheers, Emile

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Emile said:

Hi wvu80,

Think I need a pair of La Scala's ... yes; like a hole in the head :) Found some locally for $2000 (Tampa Bay, FL). Reasonable or??

But maybe don't need them :( as they would replace my (just upgraded) Cornwall I's.  Less base ... is the sound that much better?

Many Thanks,

Cheers, Emile

Emile, IMHO: Need is a strong word! $2000 is too high (especially if the xovers need updating). Less bass, yes, but better bass. Yes, sound is that much better.

Your mileage may vary but that's my 2 cents.

Note: all of the above answers are subjective.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

that's my 2 cents

MookieStl,

Many thanks! Worth $100; not 2 cents. :) 

But ... have owned my Cornwall's for almost 40 years ... and love them. The La Scala's need to be "much better." :) 

Cheers, Emile

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

MookieStl,

Many thanks! Worth $100; not 2 cents. :) 

But ... have owned my Cornwall's for almost 40 years ... and love them. The La Scala's need to be "much better." :) 

Cheers, Emile

Emile,

If you love the Cornwall's stick with them. The upgrades/updates you have done has kept them up to speed. If you ever get a chance to audition a pair of La Scalas, give them a try. I think they are better by a clear margin, but you will need to see if it qualifies as "much better"! It would be a fun listen either way. If your ever near St. Louis, I would be happy to give you an audition. Best would be in your normal listening room with your equipment, but.......

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rah said:

I think having Klipsch come out with the new Forte III's (at $3,600/pair) is causing a renewed interest in the older used Heritage speakers which don't cost near $3,600/pair.  Forte and Chorus speakers seem to have increased in price in the past year, at least what I see here in Houston and on eBay.

I think I contributed to it also, as I probably overpaid for a pair of mint Quartets I just bought.

Me too, I over paid for my Forte II.  I don't care.  I wanted them, I bought them, I love them.  

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Hi bkevind, 

Highly recommend the Crites Ti diaphragms on your new Forte's ... BTW; congrats! :)

I got a pair of Forte's about a month ago and thought they were "missing something." (Did not even sound as good as my KG4's.) Yes; missing Crites Ti diaphragms ... they sound awesome now.

Cheers, Emile

I have them in hand already!  I ordered Bob Crites crossovers, and the Ti diaphragms.  I installed the crossovers, and just enjoying them for now.  I have no complaints.  Will eventually install the Crites Tites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Hi wvu80,

Hi Emile, 

It's not that the La Scalas don't sound that good, they really do.  It's just when you get into that $2000 range you are into Klipschorn territory which is a big upgrade over the LS.

Those LS's have had the cabinets modded.  I think it looks good, but a lot of people like the factory look.  You ought to be able to pick up a nice set of La Scalas for about $1250 and they come on the used market all the time.  I would wait for a better deal.

PM  sent.  B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rah said:

I think having Klipsch come out with the new Forte III's (at $3,600/pair) is causing a renewed interest in the older used Heritage speakers which don't cost near $3,600/pair. 

Forte and Chorus speakers seem to have increased in price in the past year, at least what I see here in Houston and on eBay.

Don't go by Houston prices.  Used prices in Texas seems to be retail plus 10%!  It's hard to find a deal where you are.

2 hours ago, rah said:

LOL!  :lol:

6 minutes ago, bkevind said:

NOW an interesting pair of Heresy show up locally :|  Well, I can't complain about my sweeeeeet Forte II :)

I just need to stay off CL and I won't have any problems.... haha

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-heresy-vintage-hi-fi/6378892095.html

Dang, lol looks like some just about what you may have been able to live without. Let know how they sound.:emotion-21:

• Like 1

" Don't go by Houston prices.  Used prices in Texas seems to be retail plus 10%!  It's hard to find a deal where you are. "

Don't go by middle Tennessee prices either because by your standards we are 10%++

I wish I could find prices as low as you are always talking about. For the past year and a half I have never seen Fortes or Chorus I's or II's or La Scalas for sale even close to your "average" prices in the middle Tennessee area. How do you generate your averages? Speakers are scarcer now than a while back and more expensive unless they are beat up. Heresy's sometimes can be bought for $400 never less if in good shape.

So where are the deals located that generate your low averages? Maybe there are some around here that have sold as cheap as you claim but they must go really fast.