Vintage Klipsch / Heritage

bkevind

On 11/12/2017 at 6:13 PM, Dave A said:

I wish I could find prices as low as you are always talking about. For the past year and a half I have never seen Fortes or Chorus I's or II's or La Scalas for sale even close to your "average" prices in the middle Tennessee area. How do you generate your averages?

Hi Dave.

I like engaging in talks on valuating speakers and pricing, but everybody seemed to have their own opinion which meant everybody had a different idea.  I started noting prices on a spreadsheet just for fun because my memory is so bad.

I don't keep track of every Heritage out there, just the ones that come across my computer screen, usually from Klipsch forumites posting FS ads or deals they've found.  To that end I have Craigslist, Ebay, Audiogon and a couple of on-line auction listings.

I am happy to share my info with anybody who asks but I don't post it on-line so I don't interfere with forum members making a sale.

-Dave

PM with research tool sent.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have become addicted to looking for heritage Klipsch.  Still have an itch to scratch with Heresy.  They go quick on my local CL, but I noticed a pair of HIP-2 for sale.  Will be taking a look at them tomorrow.  

I will probably put them in the garage assuming all goes well.  Perhaps a fitting place for them.

I did the deed.  I picked up a pair of HIP-2, from 1985.  A little rough on the outside, but nothing paint wouldn't fix.  Frankly my dear, I don't care and do not plan to paint them.  They have "patina".  They are in the garage now and IMO the look suits the space just fine :D 

Even just sitting on the floor in the garage they sound much better to me than the Polk Audio T50.  I have them crossed over at 80hz, and they work really well that way, with my old Outlaw LFM-1 taking care of the low stuff.   Honestly they sound better than expected since I assumed they are basically intended for cheap-ish PA use.  The lively sound is so much better in the garage now, and blends well with the little r-14m's I have on the wall in the back.  I took the gamble on them for the fun of the hobby, love to experience new-to-me/different speakers.  These will be staying around in the garage for sure.

I will be finding something to place the HIP-2 on or using an on wall shelf / mount to lift them off the floor and out of the way.  The T50 is the cheapest Polk tower  - great for the money (when they're on sale like they are now, I bought them last year during the 50% sales), easy to listen to but a bit too sedate if you have a taste/ear for Klipsch sound. Might be good for chill bedroom tunes, and they have a small footprint.    

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Congratulations!!!!

Hah thank you!  Originally I was looking for Heresy for the office, which thankfully turned into Forte II's.  The Forte II's are now my favorite speakers in the house.  But that didn't stop me from monitoring craigslist.  I don't need anymore speakers.  But I do. :D  Happy to expand my collection with the HIP-2.  Never thought I'd have so many Klipsch speakers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done! I've also made my way into heritage with industrial Heresies, mine are KP-201.

I probably created a similar story for someone else when I got them, I happened to see the listing within an hour or two of when it went up and contacted right away. The guy had them for $200, I didn't even bother trying to get him to go lower.

When I got there the next day (wasn't letting that one sit) he told me he'd heard from a few other people by then, including a guy visiting from Texas (I live in NJ) who wanted to take them back with him.

I wondered on the drive back if I really needed to spend $200 on more speakers, I had already gone from F20 to RP-280F. They're my favorite speakers now though, I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, bkevind said:

I did the deed.  I picked up a pair of HIP-2, from 1985.  A little rough on the outside, but nothing paint wouldn't fix.  Frankly my dear, I don't care and do not plan to paint them.  They have "patina". 

Oh, so that's what it is, "patina".

I'll remember that if I should ever sell my Chorus II's.

(All I know is they had a rough life before I came to their rescue)

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2017 at 5:09 PM, rah said:

Oh, so that's what it is, "patina".

I'll remember that if I should ever sell my Chorus II's.

(All I know is they had a rough life before I came to their rescue)

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

That's a real shame. Do you have "after" pics?

Haven't done anything to the cabinets, will let the "patina" remain for now, these are my office speakers.  I only paid $350 for them, but did buy new grills from Klipsch that you see in the pics because the originals were trash.  That helped a bit.

Did maybe overpay for a pair of Quartets for the house, but those are in mint condition.

(Funny that spellcheck here wants to replace "Klipsch" with "Lipstick")