Epson 5040UB vs ???

rplace

In the $2-3K range is there any other projector to consider? Pretty good reviews for the Epson 5040UB . I like the 10 preset zoom levels as I have a ultra wide constant height screen and lots of different sized movies....read older/narrower....and many newer wider ones. I don't have the budget for a true 4K projector. I've always been a Panasonic fan. Currently running a Panasonic AE700u from around 2004. Panasonic had a good run with the 500/700/900 and I've not kept up with things since. Epson from what I remember has always had a solid reputation. I was budgeting right at $2K so the 5040UB is already pushing that quite a bit.

I haven't jumped into the 4K ring as of yet but I can say that the Epson projectors are solid performers. I've been using the 6030UB (5030 pro model) for a few years now and have had zero issues.

Sending a PM to pursue further....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rplace said:

Thanks!

Are there any differences between pro and consumer models beyond color and included accessories? Are the guts/specs the same? Until now did not even know pro models existed.

Same guts on both models. IIRC, the pro model includes the mount, anamorphic ready lens, additional bulb, and an additional year of warranty.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Pro_Cinema_6040UB.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home_Cinema_5040UB.htm

Take a look at JVC.  I ended up getting one in your price range not that long ago (via model closeout sale) at the recommendation from MetroLake.  In addition to the fantastic blacks, it also has the lens memory feature that allows switching from CinemaScope to 16:9 format and back at the touch of a button.  A CinemaScope format screen is needed to take advantage of this feature.  If you watch a lot of movies, you should consider this -- what a difference it makes!  I wasn't aware of this until someone recommended that on this forum (can't remember who, but you can search the forum for CinemaScope).  Man-oh-man, am I glad I did this.  I'm extremely pleased with the projector as well as the screen format!

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/jvc-dla-x500r-d-ila-3d-projector-review/

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JMON said:

Yes, they are more expensive, but they can be found within his price range as I was able to do.  I think I paid $2400 before taxes and the original price was $5k.

No doubt.  This was in 2009 when I was comparing Panny and JVC.

Thanks guys, I do have a constant height screen set up. So that lens memory is important to me. It will be nice to no manually fiddle with it before every show. IMO it just feels so much more like going to the movies with a projector and a picture that fills the screen top to bottom.

I'm sure like so many things when you have not upgraded in a long time there is a huge jump in performance and convenience. So anything will likely be a nice improvement - to me! I tend to buy things and keep them for a long time so I like to get it right when I do buy. I don't think I've bought any gear for the HT since 2004 or there about. Last year, in December, I bought a new 2016 vehicle. I had not bought a car since the new 2001 model I got right as they came out in October of 200. So over 16 years. That 2001 Yukon XL still had a cassette deck. Almost a year later and I'm still discovering things on my 2016! It is like a space ship. I'm hoping to have the same "blown away" feeling with a new projector.

• Moderators

One feature I really like about the Panasonic AE8000u over my previous AE3000u is it automatically senses and chooses the correct lens memory depending on what aspect ratio is detected.  So when you load up a movie, the bluray menu is typically in 16:9 so you have grey bars on the left and right of the image on a 2.35:1 screen but when I hit Play Movie and the movie starts, within 4 seconds, the Panny detects and switches to 2.35:1 and fills my entire screen.  Now that's awesome to me! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. On my current Panasonic 700 (so old I'm missing an entire digit :o) It has a manual up/down left/right sort of joystick thing. How does your Panasonic, or any automatic lens for that matter, know where the top of your screen is? I'm guessing there is some sort of calibration. Having a hard time envisioning how that works; because I'd swear on any or very few of my DVDs have the top edge of the picture ever been in the same spot. Seems like in addition to zooming manually I always have to adjust up down for various formats 4:3, 1.66:1, 16:9, 1.85:1 2.35:1, etc

If I was forced to buy a 4k projector today it would probably be between the the new Optoma UHZ 65 (Laser + full 4k) https://newatlas.com/optoma-uhz65-4k-laser-projector/51639/

Sony  VPL-VW285ES 

And Epson 5040UB. 

I really want 4k, but I want better prices, more 4k content, full 4k and possibly laser / better HDR implementation before buying. Going to hold off for at least another year.

Thanks for all the info guys. I was looking hard at the Panasonic 8000 since Youthman has such an amazing set up...in the end I got the Epson 5040 hoping to once again be set for a long time. First impressions:

• man have projectors changed
  • Check out the size difference
  • Nice that the lens cover opens and closes automatically
  • Stunning picture compared to my old one...which I was more than happy with for ~10 years

Bad new my universal mount was not so universal. Another order and another day of waiting to mount it, plus more $$$. Bigger/taller so I needed a new (shorter) 1.5 inch pipe to hang if from and had to wait for the black paint to dry. I baked it in the oven so don't tell my wife :o Also had to pull HDMI wires from the rack, through the ceiling and down. Got rid of composite video and s-video in the process. Kept the component video, not really sure why.

IMG_20171026_165944342.thumb.jpg.55672aeb491c71a7e057b6d4bb007e4a.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:51 AM, rplace said:

Interesting. On my current Panasonic 700 (so old I'm missing an entire digit :o) It has a manual up/down left/right sort of joystick thing. How does your Panasonic, or any automatic lens for that matter, know where the top of your screen is? I'm guessing there is some sort of calibration. Having a hard time envisioning how that works; because I'd swear on any or very few of my DVDs have the top edge of the picture ever been in the same spot. Seems like in addition to zooming manually I always have to adjust up down for various formats 4:3, 1.66:1, 16:9, 1.85:1 2.35:1, etc

I have an AE8000.  There is still a joystick present, to get the picture close, then you can use the onboard calibrations. 

• 2 months later...

my kid is having serious problems with the 5040UB      bought it  2 weeks before christmas and it lasted 2 weeks   #2 arrived and it lasted 2 weeks.  #3 arrived today and its a refurb unit and they said they were going to send a brand new unit but didn't. original purchase was from Dell but Epson keeps sending replacements

AVS forum says Epson is having power supply issues. it won't turn on