Tidal lossless....control desktop from phone or tablet?

avguytx

I've given Tidal sooo many trials. I really wanted to like it and have it be my 'go to' streaming service.

In my experience, it's just not what it's all cracked up to be.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, SWL said:

I've given Tidal sooo many trials. I really wanted to like it and have it be my 'go to' streaming service.

In my experience, it's just not what it's all cracked up to be.

At a recent GTG, I heard Tidal for the first time.  We used it as our digital source of music and I was not overly impressed.

At a recent GTG, I heard Tidal for the first time.  We used it as our digital source of music and I was not overly impressed.
The sound quality was decent but not consistent. There's a lot that IS NOT lossless. The lossless stuff sounded decent but unfortunately, the soundstage was collapsed compared to my cd player, WAV files and yes....Spotify Premium.

A lot of music I have on Spotify I couldn't get on Tidal. The last time I tried Tidal they did seem to improve some of the slow buffering and lock-ups.....but not entirely.

Just not worth twice the cost of Spotify. Actually, for me personally.....it was only worth probably half the cost of Spotify.....everything considered.

• Like 1

Tidal works great for me. I use the Tidal app from my phone in my car and Oppo Media Controller from my phone, iPad or laptop with my system at home. Haven't had an artist come up empty yet. I agree with avguytx that hi rez streaming is just beginning. My concern is most gen x, y and z's couldn't care less about music fidelity. Much of what they listen to can barely be described as music and is usually highly synthesized and/or auto tuned.

• Like 2

Today I hooked up an Imac to my Sonica dac via the usb type B connection using a decent Audioquest Cinnamon cable. The Oppo does not pass MQA but will stream at 96/24 when playing Tidal Master selections.  It sounds very good. It definitely defeats the simplicity of the streaming aspect but the higher resolution streaming is pretty nice. Just something else to play with I suppose.

• Like 1

Tidal sound quality is the best I've heard.  I've had Spotify, Pandora 1, and a Deezer trial.  For me, Tidal exceeds them all in quality in my experience.  I keep it on HiFi of course, maybe for those that heard lesser quality didn't choose that option?

I like Spotify interface, but at the time I was primarily using Play-Fi devices throughout the house to play music and the Spotify interface for that was a P.I.T.A.  Now that I've had Tidal for quite a while (about a year) I'm not looking back.  Actually I cancelled it for 3 months, not because I didn't like it, but because I thought it wasn't worth the cost.  I finally got fed up with NOT having Tidal and signed up again, for the family pack.  It was so nice to get my audio quality back.

• Like 2

I tried listening to a few tracks on Tidal tonite while working on the MC250. Wasn't a great experience. They sounded great but would play for a minute, then it was buffer...buffer....buffer. Did it on about 4 songs for 30 seconds then would start back. I'm on 100mb download so speed is fine. Sheesh. 

21 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I tried listening to a few tracks on Tidal tonite while working on the MC250. Wasn't a great experience. They sounded great but would play for a minute, then it was buffer...buffer....buffer. Did it on about 4 songs for 30 seconds then would start back. I'm on 100mb download so speed is fine. Sheesh. 

Ah that stinks.  I have had buffering on occasion, recently in the past few weeks but never before that.  Hmm now that I think about it this only started happening to me after the recent updates.  Googling "Tidal buffering issues" shows some similar issues in 2015.  I hope they get that sorted because it ruins what has been for me a great experience.

I canceled my trial with Tidal.  Way too quirky on buffering for listening to anything, can't control it from a tablet or phone easily (like Spotify) and I just couldn't substantiate the cost difference to SQ and tolerate the quirks.  I've not once ever had a buffer problem listening to Spotify in the last 3 years and that was at 25mb download speed.  Now I'm on 100mb with very good QoS since I'm close to the hub.  No loss.   Maybe Spotify will go HiFi eventually after all this mysterious beta testing people post about and all will be good.

• Like 2

Cool, gotta use the tools that work best for you.  

I don't really have any quirks to worry about with my use of Tidal.  The song that buffers maybe twice a week (lately) for me hasn't been a hindrance so far, I'll just skip to the next song I want to hear, and it resolves.  My two receivers stream Tidal directly, and is controllable from phone/tablet app (Yamaha has excellent apps) Actually haven't had any buffers via Yamaha, oddly enough.  My office streams tidal through a PC (which is where the sometimes buffers happen), to which I connect to via RDP.  All works great for me (shrug).

I'm neutral on the Tidal interface, and would like for it to be better at things (searching, playlists, etc), but have gotten used to it.

I might have to give Spotify another whirl, it was similar in that it had pros/cons for me.

Trying out Deezer hifi lossless and really liking it so far. I like their Flow part as it learns what you like as you're listening. Been playing it for about 5 hours while prepping thanksgiving stuff and teaching it what I like. So far so good and sounds great. Their new desktop app works very good and much easier than Tidal without all the Jay-Z crap. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...