Tidal lossless....control desktop from phone or tablet?

avguytx

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the past experiences I had trying to like Tidal, I never thought I'd get to this point.

Spotify user from the beginning, I've tried all the others. Spotify has always (and still is) been 100% reliable. I like everything about it except for the fact that they still don't have a lossless option.

Recently, I've been checking out Qobuz and Amazon HD. Both of them on my Windows 10 laptop as well as Android casting to Chromecast Audio are just too flaky to waste my time on. Qobuz wins when it comes to sound quality but falls short when it comes to usability. Especially on the desktop app.

In the meantime Spotify Premium just keeps humming along....problem free.

I decided to give Tidal another shot. Wow, am I impressed so far.

No buffering issues. Almost everything I've looked for has been there (except Metallica, arghh) and the sound quality is excellent. The UI is very nice and functions closer to Spotify's than Qobuz or Amazon HD.

I'm gonna roll with Spotify and Tidal for a while....get a better feel for Tidal. Unless Spotify gets with the program as far as lossless playback, I might just stick with Tidal from here on out.

We'll see how the dependability plays out. So far it's promising.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh, and as far as using a smartphone to control Tidal on a desktop app.....I've been using the Tidal app to cast to Chromecast Audio. It works well but I'd rather use my phone to control the Tidal desktop app like I do with Spotify.

I have to wonder why, of all the streaming services is Spotify the ONLY one that has this option? They should ALL have it.

• Like 1

I'm using Spotify premium too. Very pleased with it, never a hiccup for me.

Now amazon and youtube are getting in the streaming music business too. Amazon is currently offering free 30 or 45 day trial of their services. None of these options I mentioned are lossless to my knowledge. 

• Like 1

I've tried most as well and keep coming back to Spotify. You would think that they must realize that their primary competitors are the ones that offer lossless audio. If they were to employ that into their platform, they could gain so much more market share imho

I remember when Spotify had another platform called Fidelify but was (and looks like it still is) in Beta. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they jump on the bandwagon...

https://fidelify.net/

4 minutes ago, TasDom said:

I've tried most as well and keep coming back to Spotify. You would think that they must realize that their primary competitors are the ones that offer lossless audio. If they were to employ that into their platform, they could gain so much more market share imho

I remember when Spotify had another platform called Fidelify but was (and looks like it still is) in Beta. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they jump on the bandwagon...

I'm sure they (Spotify) will offer lossless streaming when market demand warrants such. Heck, many of the younger folks are content with low quality mp3 and bluetooth....lol. Music via smartphone.

• Like 1

Simple dimple question. Know I can get Other services but, have been quite happy enough using my

Android headphone jack to auxiliary input to vintage integrated amplifier. What am I missing? Should I try their you tube streaming? Would that eliminate commercial s...

Like the Videos and quite surprised by the decent sq so far...used an external DAC previously and helped alot with noise floor.

Thanks

50 minutes ago, SWL said:

Oh, and as far as using a smartphone to control Tidal on a desktop app.....I've been using the Tidal app to cast to Chromecast Audio. It works well but I'd rather use my phone to control the Tidal desktop app like I do with Spotify.

I have to wonder why, of all the streaming services is Spotify the ONLY one that has this option? They should ALL have it.

I still have a hard time paying $20 a month for Tidal, or anyone else for that matter.  What I didn't like before was the rap crap that seemed to dominate all the suggestions that came up.  That would be the very LAST genre of music I'd ever listen to.

Yes, if Spotify would just go lossless, the world would be a much better place.  lol.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I'm sure they (Spotify) will offer lossless streaming when market demand warrants such. Heck, many of the younger folks are content with low quality mp3 and bluetooth....lol. Music via smartphone.

It's said that Spotify hit 100 million subscribers now.  How many more do they need to see it could mean more to their bottom line?  I do agree that many, if not most, listen with ear buds BUT there has to be a great many that have rather pricey ear buds used out there.

I still have a hard time paying $20 a month for Tidal, or anyone else for that matter.  What I didn't like before was the rap crap that seemed to dominate all the suggestions that came up.  That would be the very LAST genre of music I'd ever listen to.

Yes, if Spotify would just go lossless, the world would be a much better place.  lol.
I couldn't agree with you more. As far as the price....I just keep reminding myself of how much more money I'd be spending on cd's and/or vinyl if I wasn't able to go this route.

12 minutes ago, avguytx said:

It's said that Spotify hit 100 million subscribers now.  How many more do they need to see it could mean more to their bottom line?  I do agree that many, if not most, listen with ear buds BUT there has to be a great many that have rather pricey ear buds used out there.

I have not tried Tidal. Can you hear an audible difference between Tidal and Spotify premium? I mainly use Spotify @ my desktop pc, listen to music while browsing the net or playing cards. And my desktop sounds pretty good, Elac 6.2 bookshelf speakers and a small chinese (Fosi with tone controls) chip amp pushing 30-40 wpc. The speakers are 2-3 feet from my head. Occasionally I do Spotify to my LR AVR/corns. My hearing is damaged above 5khz so that is a factor for sure.

5 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I have not tried Tidal. Can you hear an audible difference between Tidal and Spotify premium? I mainly use Spotify @ my desktop pc, listen to music while browsing the net or playing cards. And my desktop sounds pretty good, Elac 6.2 bookshelf speakers and a small chinese (Fosi with tone controls) chip amp pushing 30-40 wpc. The speakers are 2-3 feet from my head. Occasionally I do Spotify to my LR AVR/corns. My hearing is damaged above 5khz so that is a factor for sure.

I'm in that same boat; I have tinnitus so I'm rather limited on upper frequency response.  I miss my 30's, and younger, back where I could hear a fly fart at 100 yards on a windy day.  lol.  This tinnitus crept in on me almost right after turning 40.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billybob said:

Simple dimple question. Know I can get Other services but, have been quite happy enough using my

Android headphone jack to auxiliary input to vintage integrated amplifier. What am I missing? Should I try their you tube streaming? Would that eliminate commercial s...

Like the Videos and quite surprised by the decent sq so far...used an external DAC previously and helped alot with noise floor.

Thanks

Not much imo. I use two Cowen music players, one of which is a high res (plays flac, wav, alac, wma file types) via the 3.5 mm headphone jack to my two receivers. I have listened to HQ mp3 and wav files back to back, they both sound good. The lossless seems to have better high frequency playback to me but its like splitting hairs. I listen to a lot of mp3 files @ best quality (320 kb/s).  Using a portable high res music player via your 3.5mm input, or split to rca inputs offers a lot of quality and options. A lot depends on the AVR or receiver clearly. My little Plenue is 32 gb mem but also takes a micro sd card up to 128 gb. So you can load a LOT of lossless files if you want to.

I'm all about wired input/transmission versus bluetooth. Earphones too, have a pair of Sonnheiser wired. That small thin wire doesn't bother me. Bluetooth no doubt would be great for working out at the gym, or being active like jogging or something.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I'm in that same boat; I have tinnitus so I'm rather limited on upper frequency response.  I miss my 30's, and younger, back where I could hear a fly fart at 100 yards on a windy day.  lol.  This tinnitus crept in on me almost right after turning 40.

I'm right there with you. For me its aging (i'm 61) plus years of self abuse via loud music/concerts, hobby drag cars/open headers, shooting, and my job for 30 years. I take care of my hearing like its supremely precious for the last 10-15 years. I wear earplugs or earmuffs 100% to mow the lawn, use a skil saw, blower, go to the drags, or recreational shooting. I was young and dumb, especially around ages 16 to 21.

Tinnitus...sometimes bothered by light ringing in the ears when its quiet room, like right now. Low level ringing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TasDom said:

6 hours ago, STSOE said:

This is a joke right? Get a proper dac and Tidal.

Spotify don't give a ****. They have a whole bunch of dumb motherfuckers already. 

Tidal are for the real players.

Hint to the owner. My english is a hell of a lot better usually.😉

With all that said and done. Just go Qobuz you dumb *****.

Your English is fine but apparently your reading comprehension sucks.

• Like 1