Tidal lossless....control desktop from phone or tablet?

avguytx

On 12/26/2019 at 3:28 PM, polizzio said:

I have not tried Tidal. Can you hear an audible difference between Tidal and Spotify premium? I mainly use Spotify @ my desktop pc, listen to music while browsing the net or playing cards. And my desktop sounds pretty good, Elac 6.2 bookshelf speakers and a small chinese (Fosi with tone controls) chip amp pushing 30-40 wpc. The speakers are 2-3 feet from my head. Occasionally I do Spotify to my LR AVR/corns. My hearing is damaged above 5khz so that is a factor for sure.

If you have hearing issues stay with Spotify. I'm 67 and don't ....yet and but you can't predict the future. 

Streaming can be quite confusing, yet can be done quite simply. I use an Arcam rPlay with the PlayFi app. The app allows access to all of the streaming services and internet radio. I control it from my iPad. I'm using Tidal. I have a MHDT Labs Orchid DAC , a tube amp and preamp driving Heresy III's.

Tidal sounds excellent if the recording is good. Not all analog to digital transfers were remastered so some albums are so so. I have not had any significant issues with this set up.

19 minutes ago, polizzio said:

@Les Lammers

Thanks for the input, Les. 

You're welcome. I liked the Spotify interface more than Tidal's but to me Tidal sounds better. The problem I had with streaming is all the techno babble etc. A friend told me about the rPlay and I got it on sale from Parts Connexion for $299.  It was simple to get up and running and I'll keep it a long time. 

Spotify Premium was easy to work with and to borrow play list from others but when I compared it with CDs the quality was lacking.  I really don't want to contribute to Jay-Z so I'm considering Amazon UHD streaming. 

When I was using Spotify I went from my lap top to a dac and that was it.  Is there a better way to go for sound quality?  I really am a beginner here.

6 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Spotify Premium was easy to work with and to borrow play list from others but when I compared it with CDs the quality was lacking.  I really don't want to contribute to Jay-Z so I'm considering Amazon UHD streaming. 

When I was using Spotify I went from my lap top to a dac and that was it.  Is there a better way to go for sound quality?  I really am a beginner here.

What is the rest of your system and will streaming be your only source?

On 12/29/2019 at 8:51 AM, Tarheel said:

I tried Amazon Music HD for a couple months but decided to go back to Spotify.  I do agree about not wanting to support Jay-Z either plus the hacked up playlists. Same with Amazon Music...the interface was just too clunky and I despised trying to find anything to listen to; it was no easy task.  Amazon did sound good though but just wasn't worth keeping for the clunky control. 

Just my experience. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 2:02 PM, avguytx said:

I still have a hard time paying $20 a month for Tidal, or anyone else for that matter.  What I didn't like before was the rap crap that seemed to dominate all the suggestions that came up.  That would be the very LAST genre of music I'd ever listen to.

Yes, if Spotify would just go lossless, the world would be a much better place.  lol.

Just an FYI, if you are a Military Veteran you get Tidal Military Hi-Fi (Masters) for $11.95 a month.  Same price for First Responders.  I just signed up.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Well, I've been rolling with both Spotify Premium and Tidal lossless for a few months now. Spotify is my main streaming service but Tidal is still hanging in there because it has become worthy of critical listening sessions......it definitely has the edge over Spotify in this regard. It has also become more stable and reliable.

The thing that really sucks is STILL not being able to control the Tidal desktop from a smartphone. This is something I have gotten so used to with Spotify. I've gotten to the point.....screw playing with album sleeves/artwork etc....I'd rather browse the catalog of over 100 zillion songs and just go to town while sitting in the sweetspot totally digging it. If I want to look at album covers Google has that covered for me as well as artist info etc etc etc.

I really wish Tidal would make this option available. Better yet, I wish Spotify would just go lossless already.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1