Tidal lossless....control desktop from phone or tablet?

avguytx

I'd seriously thought about switching from Spotify to Tidal for the lossless part until the more I research, it seems that Tidal can't be controlled from an app (Android in my case) like Spotify or JRiver/Gizmo.  It appears you have to use a keyboard/mouse to control it?  If it could be controlled by an app, I'd spend the extra 10 ducks on it per month.  If not, I'll just stay with Spotify for the convenience.  Maybe they'll go lossless one of these decades.  Ironic that Spotify can be controlled by an app but isn't lossless and Tidal is lossless but can't be controlled from an app.  Maybe they should go bowling and share the info.  Anyone know any different?  Other than some BubbleUPnP controller thing?  Can't do Air Play....I'm not an apple fan at all.

I know that Tidal has the android app and I downloaded it, but, nothing points to it being able to control the desktop like Spotify can. So far. With Spotify,  I can tell it where I'm listening and my phone is the remote, per se, for it.  Was just curious if anyone else had tried and had success. 

I looked up what you're talking about. I don't think there's a remote control app for Tidal like the one for Spotify. The closest I can think of is using Roon (or perhaps Lightning DS, Auralic devices only) and control the hardware through that. I use Roon to play through three different systems simultaneously in my home. Tidal integrates seamlessly with Roon so I have control of Tidal from a smartphone or tablet. 

Mark

Well, the Sprint thing won't work as my phone is supplied by the city where I'm the network administrator and it's Verizon.  My wife and daughters phones are AT&T which I've been with for 20 years.  Plus, they have the best coverage for where we live.

I got an email back from Tidal in regards to remote controlling the desktop app from a tablet and they confirmed they don't have anything.  So, I'll just stay with Spotify and go from there.  Thanks for all the replies.

Your Onkyo P-3000r has a usb input you may be able to run a usb cable from a laptop or desktop to the preamp.  You would have to figure out a control method.  

I have a HDMI cable from my desktop computer in the bedroom thru the bedroom wall into my 55 tv.  I take my wireless keyboard and mouse put on the living room table and they wireless thru the wall.  I then have a optical cable from my tv to my preamp/AVR for sound.   

This also lets me use my 55 Sony as computer monitor.:P 

If you have a laptop then run a usb cable to the preamp.

That's how it's already setup. I have a Dell SFF i7 with an SSD drive that is the "server" and is used for the JRiver app and accesses files from my NAS and is connected via usb. I use a wireless keyboard/mouse to control the usual things but it's much more convenient being able to look on my phone for music instead of the other way. Especially since I leave the tv off a lot. 

But since they don't have easier access, it's not really worth switching yet. 

I guess that's another route I can go; using the Chromecast Audio and feed the optical into the P-3000R.  $35 isn't too bad of a cost to do so.  I could buy one, try the 30 day trial and see how it sounds.  That is, IF they give you the lossless files in the 30 day trial and not 320k or so.  I'd switch from Spotify if that would work. 

But from what I've read, the CCA won't cast the Masters stuff...only the HiFi.  Masters only works on the desktop app which puts me back to the keyboard.  I guess when it gets right down to it, if I'm actually getting to sit there and listen to music, using the keyboard and mouse wouldn't be the worst thing ever to have to use.  I could still use the CCA and my Galaxy S7 for the lossless files. 

Ok...signed up for trial run of Tidal and will see how it goes.  I looked through some of the Masters stuff and it's pretty good.  I can't listen to anything since I'm at work remoted into my desktop PC in living room, though.  lol  Maybe I can listen to some things at lunch time.

I recently joined tidal Hi-fi. I cast it to my tv and play through my receiver. I'm using it on android and works great. Haven't found a song I couldn't find yet. I didn't think there would be as huge difference it made. But wow really sounds awesome on my Forte II's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk