Tidal lossless....control desktop from phone or tablet?

avguytx

I really enjoy Tidal.  

I use it different ways.  I have a media pc connected to a Schiit Modi multibit DAC then connected to the integrated amp in the office for my 2 channel enjoyment.

I use a play-fi streaming device I have connected to the receiver for the main family room.  Although now I've started using the direct connection on my Yamaha receiver with multicast.  Yamaha supports Tidal after a recent firmware update. Sounds great. 

7 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Doesn't jay z and beyonce own some of Tidal?

Yeah.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/203055651-Who-owns-TIDAL

"TIDAL has the commitment of artist owners that believe in creating a more sustainable model for the music industry. The TIDAL artist-owners are Alicia Keys, Arcade Fire’s Win Butler and Regine Chassagne, Beyoncé, Calvin Harris, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Daft Punk, Damian Marley, deadmau5, Indochine, J. Cole, Jack White, Jason Aldean, Shawn “JAY Z” Carter, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, T.I. and Usher."

I've definitely noticed there's a bunch of rap crap on Tidal. Would be nice if I could hide it all as to not clutter the screen with stuff I'll never listen to. I wonder if you can delete a genre or ten? Lol. 

Still learning the desktop app.  Not as intuitive as Spotify but definitely sounds good. Can you alphebetize album lists in Masters, etc., instead of having to go through every one of them? 

• Like 1

So far, it's ok with just keyboard/mouse combo. I still use Amazon Prime Music, since I'm a Prime member, for all the lossy files and cheap factor. I don't know how much I'll listen to Tidal on my phone thru the factory stereo but it's there. I'll have to get use to Tidal not having recommended playlists which is nice on Spotify. Oh well. 

I really wish there was a way to block the rap/hip hop genre from showing up altogether on Tidal as that's going to be the one thing I don't like.  I hate that genre of music and hate seeing this Jay Z person, whoever he/she/it is, all over the main screen every time I open up Tidal or it always sitting in my "What's New" list.  I'd rather listen to new country (which I also can't stand) than this stuff showing up.  Maybe Spotify wasn't so bad after all...at least they tailored what showed on my screens as what I've listened to instead of showing a bunch of crap I don't. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I really wish there was a way to block the rap/hip hop genre from showing up altogether on Tidal as that's going to be the one thing I don't like.  I hate that genre of music and hate seeing this Jay Z person, whoever he/she/it is, all over the main screen every time I open up Tidal or it always sitting in my "What's New" list.  I'd rather listen to new country (which I also can't stand) than this stuff showing up.  Maybe Spotify wasn't so bad after all...at least they tailored what showed on my screens as what I've listened to instead of showing a bunch of crap I don't. 

It would be nice to be able to customize the home screen, and customize the whats new and upcoming to only show genres of interest.

It's not a big deal to me at the end of the day. I'm one click away from genres, or my music, or my playlists.  I do kind of miss the heuristic algorithms used by Spotify and Pandora that will build a playlist for you based on an artist or whatever.  What you get with Tidal feels more like going into a record shop and you're left to your own devices to find what you want to hear, or discover new things.

Yep.  That's pretty much how I look at it too.  Just to be able to hide genre's would be great.  Maybe I'm wanting too much; it would be nice to have Spotify's control, UI, recommendations, etc., etc., and have Tidal lossless which is about the only thing I can find to like about it.  I guess you can't have it all.  I do feel like Tidal sounds a little better, for what my tinnitus lets through, but I will need to figure that out over the next 30, or 60, day trial that I'm on.  Tidal's search engine is awful and really hasn't gotten much better than the last time I tried them over a year ago.  Seems like they've always had some sort of trouble and are on the verge of someone needing to buy them out but so far, no one has bitten.

I emailed asking them about blocking a genre, artist, etc., and got a reply from their apparent usual reply platform.  It was pretty much what I thought.  No, you can't block an artist or genre.  Figures.  So out of 12 tabs of 4 artists on the "what's new" thing at the top, the majority of it is (c)rap and hip hop.  Awful.

And this....Albums...Top 20.  Guess what they all are.  Yep...(c)rap or Hip Hop.  And there's no way to sort anything out like A - Z, etc. 

image.thumb.png.fc8884b3d75bfc5379ccef7638274849.png

I may not be playing in their sandbox very long.

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I wouldn't take anything from Jay Z if he was giving it away for free.....Spotify Premium for me.

If I based all of my purchases off how I feel about the politics of the company or it's ownership I'd be stuck with a year around garden and nothing but DIY which would no doubt be difficult to source parts so....

I'm no JayZ or hip hop fan. That's for sure. 

12 minutes ago, mojomc said:

If I based all of my purchases off how I feel about the politics of the company or it's ownership I'd be stuck with a year around garden and nothing but DIY which would no doubt be difficult to source parts so....

I'm no JayZ or hip hop fan. That's for sure. 

A year round garden would be fun....

I'm not basing it on who owns the company as I don't have a clue who he is.  I'm basing it on the fact that they seem to push that music at everyone first and offer a lack luster way to explore music in whatever style one chooses.  I guess I'll use up my trial and listen to some things but when it's done, I'll just stick with Spotify.  All of the streaming companies are still in their infancy overall in offering lossless. 

It doesn't bother me what's suggested or is on the front page. All I do is search for what I'm in the mood for and from there use the similar artist dealio. I also like what their song/track radio brings up. The sound quality is very very good, especially when played on my Oppo Sonica. Being able to control it with the app makes it that much better.