Wireless home security system

wvu80

I'm so new to this I don't even know what to call it but I know what I want to do.  I want to turn lights on and off from my iPhone when I am coming home.  I don't know what system is best, do I need a hub, is a security sensor worthwhile?  How about a camera?  Budget is $200 but feel free to recommend either up or down from that.

I'd like to stay within industry standards but there are a bunch of new terms I'd never heard of, Z-wave, Zigbee, Insteon, X10.

Here is an example of what I think I want.  Not necessarily this particular product, but this class of product.

81-151-226-01.jpg?ex=2

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881151226&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Automation+-+Controllers+%26+Kits-_-N82E16881151226&gclid=Cj0KCQjwybvPBRDBARIsAA7T2kjvKS_BLAPTxd_l65XTPTLjETBW4VB_bi9dewqVnJFyroocdPmUuYAaAsAwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

lately, i’ve been considering a service animal to help me. My hearing is over 85% gone. When i take out my hearing aids at night, i don’t hear a thing. Was watching a television show about service animals, and they have some for deaf people. The dog can be trained to alert me to the smoke alarm, telephone ringing, doorbell or knock, etc...

That would be a relief for me.  I’ve already told my kids that if there is an emergency at night, don’t expect me to be there until morning because i won’t hear my phone or knock at the door. 

I like the Bullmastiff because they can also be a bit intimidating. This may come as a surprise; but, I’m past my peak fighting age -- time to let The Professor deal with the bad guys. 

Good luck picking your security system -- keep your pirate’s treasure safe.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Is a security sensor worthwhile?

It used to be that house cats could set off some movement sensors.  Under rug electrical pads would trigger the alarm if a pet home alone would jump off of a shelf onto one.  It's been a couple of decades, so things must be much improved, right?

I too have been considering a home security system with cameras, remote notification to phone, recording capability, blah blah, blah. I feel inundated with information when I try to research to see what I want / need versus what I can afford. I do know that I do not want a "service" though (I think). Too many choices. Might just stay home, turn on the stereo and keep my .45 handy.

• Haha 1

I installed a SimpliSafe wireless security system in my mothers house.

Easy to install and operate with decent monitoring fees that you don't have to subscribe to if you do not need.

This is a security system, what you are describing sounds more like a home automation system.

• Like 1

I use a Wink hub to control some Sylvania OSRAM LED lights. Chamberlain MyQ controls the two garage doors. Ring does the front door bell/cam and two LED floodlight cams. I have some analog over coax cameras but I am currently trying to learn the setup on some Ubiquiti IP cameras.

None of those are in the budget range although I really like the lights. Adjust and set color and brightness / zone / activity. I screw with the family from work over cell phone.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gottajam said:

Might just stay home, turn on the stereo and keep my .45 handy.

LOL!

In West Virginia "gun control" means you have a steady hand.

+++

Agree with your whole post and the reason I started the thread.  There is so much information it's overwhelming.  I would prefer to listen to those on this forum I trust and go from there.

6 hours ago, garyrc said:

It used to be that house cats could set off some movement sensors.  Under rug electrical pads would trigger the alarm if a pet home alone would jump off of a shelf onto one.  It's been a couple of decades, so things must be much improved, right?

You would think so, but in some cases no.

In my little bit of reading Amazon comments on the Samsung Sensor I found a huge amount of Buyers who gave it a one-star rating.  It wouldn't detect someone more than 10 feet away and there were false positives.  Then the wireless component would quit working and need to be re-booted every two weeks.  Sometimes it wouldn't find the router.

57 minutes ago, Davis said:

This is a security system, what you are describing sounds more like a home automation system.

Yes, I think that is what I want.  I want to use a smart phone to turn a couple of lamps on before I get home was my original intent so those wi-fi plug-in outlets is what I had in mind.  I was vaguely aware of the Smart Hub's so I wanted to explore that if it's a better, or more integrated solution.

Now that I've found that sensors can hookup to the wi-fi and send me a notice if something is disturbed that also sounds like a decent idea.  I would not be against a couple of wireless cameras either.  There are no pets in the house.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I would recommend looking at the Arlo system.

I am reading now.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Davis said:

I installed a SimpliSafe wireless security system in my mothers house.

Easy to install and operate with decent monitoring fees that you don't have to subscribe to if you do not need.

If you go online to Simplisafe/Tom, you'll get a 10% discount.

24 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Two dobermans don't have any problems with wireless cyber criminal interference. -JJK

Can they turn on the lights if you are late coming home?  :P

+++

I am getting an education, fast!  I have found the best information on Amazon by reading the One-star ratings.  A lot of people are very un-happy and very specific on what does NOT work and why.

I have already put Lutron on my Do Not Buy list.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00XPW67ZM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=critical&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

On to Amazon Best Seller, Phillips Hue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3QXSGX/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b74S8Ed_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=G8H4SRV0YEB4S95TMV2W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=ba4b5d4b-4627-5e9f-8015-4f4701dec4c3&pf_rd_i=6478740011

71OdFT--5aL._SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

The epitome of laziness.  

I am a gentleman of leisure.  Surely you don't expect me to wander about my premises poking random switches with various digits?  How uncouth!

+++

I am reading but this isn't the most interesting stuff.  What I've found so far is none of this technology is mature.  Every system seems to have its problems.

What I may go for is short term goals with a couple of lights on/off via iphone and not worry about future-proofing the entire house with expensive hubs that may or may not become obsolete.

Dave

I bought the Samsung smartthings hub and a couple zwave switched outlets from monoprice just to test if this is something we would find useful. The ability  to schedule when lights turn on and off is awesome. My wife loves the fact that when it's dark out the lights are on when she gets home.

33 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Dave

I bought the Samsung (smart) things hub and a couple zwave switched outlets from monoprice just to test if this is something we would find useful. The ability  to schedule when lights turn on and off is awesome.

My wife (likes) the fact that when it's dark out the lights are on when she gets home.

I autocorrected the autocorrect from your phone.  I knew what you meant. B)

I didn't want to over explain but this is all about getting lights turned on at the house for my wife via her Iphone 6.  She hates coming home to a dark house, just as you said.  I envision her being away from the house, turning the lights on with her Iphone so when she gets home a half hour later there are lights on.

I want to do exactly as you did, buy a few wifi wall switches for lamps and test the waters.  So you think the Samsung Smart Hub and the Zwave outlets are the way to go?  The Samsung has a starter kit, when you get a chance let me know your opinion on that, or if I should buy the Smart Hub as a stand alone, and Zwave switches like you did.

As I read further, even with Amazon best selling products with high ratings, there seem to be thousands of negative reviews from frustrated users.  I'm not sure what to do.