Wireless home security system

wvu80

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I didn't want to over explain but this is all about getting lights turned on at the house for my wife via her Iphone 6.  She hates coming home to a dark house, just as you said.  I envision her being away from the house, turning the lights on with her Iphone so when she gets home a half hour later there are lights on.

you’re a much better husband that i was -- probably why you’re still married.  My wife worked at night, she’d get home after 11 pm.

one night, i took a pair of coveralls and made a dummy. I positioned it outside by a window. Then the wife pulled up and the headlights illuminated this figure that appeared to be trying to get in through the window. She didn’t laugh.

Then we were in separate cars (she in front of me) trying to get out of a parking lot onto a main street.  While waiting, i decided to honk my horn, when she looked, i started waving my arms frantically, motioning for her to “come here.”  She comes running up to my car and i say, “You’d have already been in traffic if i hadn’t called you back, huh?"

She didn’t laugh that time either.

20 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you’re a much better husband that i was -- probably why you’re still married.  My wife worked at night, she’d get home after 11 pm.

one night, i took a pair of coveralls and made a dummy. I positioned it outside by a window. Then the wife pulled up and the headlights illuminated this figure that appeared to be trying to get in through the window. She didn’t laugh.

Then we were in separate cars (she in front of me) trying to get out of a parking lot onto a main street.  While waiting, i decided to honk my horn, when she looked, i started waving my arms frantically, motioning for her to “come here.”  She comes running up to my car and i say, “You’d have already been in traffic if i hadn’t called you back, huh?"

She didn’t laugh that time either.

A perfect example of sardonic humor.

JJK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

These guys work well too.  Ones a little wired though.

20170617_191808.jpg

Aw, look at those smiling faces!  :)

I bet after I fed them a couple of T-bones they'd hold the front door open for me as I was carrying out your TV.  :lol:

+++

Dave, if she hates coming home to a dark house just install LED bulbs and turn them on when you leave the house.  They cost pennies to use.

Actually, that's true.  I use 60 watt (equivalent) LED bulbs and I think they use maybe 7 watts per hour.  I would have to run those type of bulbs for years before I would recoup my $200 investment for a smart hub, bulbs and motion sensor.

Dave

I say go for it my wife loves it and anything that makes her feel safe while I'm away is money well spent. That kit looks good to me I didn't go that route only because I wasn't sure we would implement this system. I bought the hub by itself and then these outlets for the lamps and other misc lighting. I plan on buying the light switches next. So she can control the outside lights as well.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11995&gclid=CjwKCAjw7MDPBRAFEiwAppdF9ASuZXHre4eqPlJon1RX_XJAkKkU0iY5rKPsqr73BZCsf3cvIix59BoCtuQQAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, thisgsx said:

Here's my 3lbs of beast mode!emoji41.pngemoji16.png

Hey, thanks for turning my highly important thread on Home Automation into "America's Cutest Home Defense Dogs."  :rolleyes:

I fully admit, Beast Mode is cute.  :D

+++

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

I say go for it my wife loves it and anything that makes her feel safe while I'm away is money well spent. That kit looks good to me I didn't go that route only because I wasn't sure we would implement this system.

I bought the hub by itself and then these outlets for the lamps and other misc lighting. I plan on buying the light switches next. So she can control the outside lights as well.

I checked out the Monoprice Zwave plugin on/off as you linked to and it had almost no negative reviews and they are about half of what the name brands are. Some of those reviews looked formulaic (my skeptical side kicking in) but still, I've got to get something.

I can get a couple of them for $50 and free shipping, so that will be my first purchase.

@rockhound you didn't say ^^^, what hub did you buy?

PC Mag has both the Wink Hub 2 and the Samsung Smart Hub as Editor's Choice, with the Wink Hub 2 being higher rated due to being able to use dual band wifi and being compatible with more devices.

I still have some more reading to do but the Wink Hub 2 looks like a solid choice so at the moment I am leaning in that direction.