Dolby Atmos 5.2.2 or 7.2 ?

Alex95

Hello to everyone. I have this Sound system
Denon Avr 3300w
2x Klipsch R-28f front speakers
2x Klipsch R-15m Surround speakers
1x Klipsch R-115 SW Sub
Samsung 49" 4k Tv

My question is , i want to upgrade it to either 7.2 and add another sub ,the center speaker and the 2 side speakers or upgrade it to 5.2.2 and add the center, the sub and another 2 dolby atmos front speakers to fit up to my R-28 F 's. The picture at the bottom is exactly my room. What should i do and for what reason. Btw I've calibrated my system with the Denon Audyssey XT 32 and the sound comes a little more noticeable from the left side of my system. 

ethethtewh.png

Definitely 5.2.2. Place the surrounds at 110 degrees. Rear speakers are probably the least important improvement to a system, and should be on the last of the list to add. Atmos is incredible compared to 5.1 or 7.1

I’d suggest using real overhead speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, yepimonfire said:

Definitely 5.2.2. Place the surrounds at 110 degrees. Rear speakers are probably the least important improvement to a system, and should be on the last of the list to add. Atmos is incredible compared to 5.1 or 7.1

I’d suggest using real overhead speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and would second this advice other than the suggestion of using real overhead speakers. All of the articles I have read on Atmos installations state to make the determination on what Atmos speakers (overhead or upfiring speakers that rest on the towers) to incorporate based on your ceiling height in your room. If you ceiling is 10ft. or less, the upward firing Atmos speakers give a greater effect than speakers mounted directly above your head.

Do your own research before deciding. However, I know I researched extensively because I could have installed my Atmos speakers just as easily either way.

IMG_3685.JPG

Thank  you for your answers. About the issue that the sound comes louder on the left side of the system . Could it be that the size of the room is a trapezium or  Could it be that the subwoofer is on the left side? ( I may have the sub's crossover too high and it plays sounds that should come only from the tower speakers)

• 3 years later...

I have a decent 5.1 system and am looking to upgrade. My current speaker system is Jamo 5.0 S-803 HCS + Elac SUB_1010 10". I'm looking at my upgrade optoions. My 5.1 receiver is still good but I am going to get either a 5.2.2 or 7.2 as mine doesn't have Atmos, add another sub and Atmos speakers. I like the Jamo brand and would like to add 2 towers with the Atmos top mounts (S-809 + ATM-50 Atmos) and mount 2 more to the top of my existing S-803 fronts, which will be relocated to the rear surround position. If I get what I'm considering, the 809s would replace the 803s as fronts with the Atmos units on top, the 803s would replace the 801s as the rears with either another pair of the ATM-50s or the S-8 ATM mounted atop and a J-12 for the second sub. If I'm correct, this system configuration would eliminate my 801s, whereas if I went with a 7.2 receiver I would be able to use them? Or do I have to go to a 9.2 system? And is it going to work with a second pair of Atmos speakers at the rear?

Edited by RayD8R

• 1 year later...

Wow completely forgot about this post. Guessing it was too lame for any to answer? Anyway it's been awhile and I have undergone several upgrades and a huge learning curve with all this stuff. I didn't care for the Atmos much so after getting an AVR that was compatible and some speakers to try it out I scrapped the idea and sold the equipment and basically started over. I got an Onkyo TX'-NR6050 and a pair of R-610Fs to start with. I next got a pair of R-620Fs to replace the 610s at front. I think the 610s sound better so I sold the 620s and got a pair of R-41Ms. Those didn't do much for me so I got the R-51Ms and an R-25C then to an R-52C. For fronts I am now at R-800Fs, surrounds are R-50Ms and now R-610Fs are behind me with a pair of R-12SWs for the low stuff. I'm pretty happy with the way things sound so I'm just going to keep this setup as is for awhile.