Heresy upgrade - what is this?

cb_600

Hi, completely new to this forum, but have been reading on/off for years. Klipsch fan to the bone! (And from Norway, so pardon my some what pore english in advance.)

I have just recently gotten hold on a pair of Heresy I in excellent condition, technical and cosmetic. I have hade the Forte II and Cornwall II before, both Crites upgrade. So I was wondering of do it to the Heresy as well, even tough they are 100%.

But when I opened up the speakers i discovered that there is more to them. The speakers should be completely original, besides the backplate that has been changed. It had been changed for unknown reasons to the former owner, he had the speakers for seven years. But he had the original backplates with ID-stickers, so I got them in storage.

To the point, I opened up the speakers by removing the backplates. Discover that the backplate i seriously heavy and filled with damping material, so the reason for change was a upgrade. Then I discovered that the crossover must have been modified as well, all the drivers and internal cabling seems original.

My question is: Can some tell what kind of upgrade that has been done on this crossover, it looks like that it have ben added some more components to it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

20171018_185659_001.jpg

20171018_185731.jpg

20171021_215320.jpg

19 hours ago, djk said:

Dean is probably right, it's probably there to flatten out the huge impedance peak in the midrange.

Looks like an early 70's network with the mylar caps, I would replace those caps and then see how it sounds.

Someone using tubes with high output impedance maybe.

just a side note and a personal preference, I would not use metal clamps to hold those two caps in place, a small dab of adhesive will work just fine and sound a lot better. Here is a picture of the kind of stands that I use under my H3 they are four post Skylan Stands which are very solid and stable they are filled with sand that eats up a lot of vibration/energy and they sound as good as they look.

Skylan Stands with Harbeth M40.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, here's my attempt to draw up the schematics, hope it's understandably. As I see it, the extra crossover can be removed quite simply, the question is what it's for? I just can't see why it's there. So I'm going to try and remove it and see if I can hear any difference, some day soon I hope..

Schematic Heresy.jpg

20171106_194308.jpg

20171106_195041.jpg

20171106_194251.jpg

Forgot to thank you guys for your previous post. Thanks for tips and schematics, appreciate it.

One more thing, thinking on swapping out the capacitors, as one of your tips, what capacitors is recommended i the reasonable price range? Or should I just buy Crites sonicaps kit right away?

1 minute ago, cb_600 said:

Takk, I think.. :)

But the Crites capacitors seems quite expensive, with shipping and taxes it will be roughly £90.

Wouldn't these be just as good, if I got the specs right: http://www.dynabel.no/selvbygg/delefilterkomponenter/kondensatorer/mundorf-evo-oil/kondensator-mundorf-evo-oil-22uf

If those, in the right specs, are a better value, then they would do nicely .

Do you mean better value as in build and material quality, or do you mean measured values? (Sorry, but I have to take it in with teaspoon, have a slow mind)

And in the schematics the capacitors are with 2uF, those I linked to had 2,2uF, would that have something to say?

Mundorf caps will be just fine.  Solens are made in France and I've had good results with those, too. In a simple crossover like the Type E, changing a 2.0 to a 2.2 will not make a serious difference, but it is better to use the original values so the crossover points remain the same.  A 2.2 uF cap will lower the crossover point 10%.