Wow what a difference Heresy vs KLF20!

efzauner

11 hours ago, efzauner said:

"Side by side I still like the Heresys better... Any thoughts?   Would the Simply Speakers titanium mid change this?"

I'm not surprised that the Heresys sound 'better'.  I like the KLF and the KG series, - I've owned the KLF20 and the KG5.5.  But none of those sounded as good as any of my Heritage speakers.  I doubt a Simply Speakers titanium mid would significantly improve matters to where the KLF would threaten any Heritage speaker for sound quality.

9 hours ago, jbsl said:

I had a pair of KLF 20s and they were okay speakers never thought bad of them but never thought they were great Klipsch speakers. :blink:

30s were a different story out of the box.  As a matter of fact, most of the components are basically what are used in the small heritage speakers and the woofers in the 20s are excellent.  If you knew much about crossover design, the 20's could best many Klipsch, as can the 30s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a pair of CF 4 when they came out and they were awesome speakers.  Unfortunately they were way too big for my listening room, so as much as I liked them they were just huge.  Anyway , shortly thereafter I switched to several stand mounted monitors and a sub . All which were very good , but none had the sense of scale and weight of those CF 4 ....... I have a great pair of Quicksilver amps that I love so I started looking at higher efficiency speakers to get the most out of them and thats when I decided to look at the Heresys.   They checked off all the boxes for me, compact,  easy to drive , sealed cabinet, can go close to the wall.   So I demo' d a pair last week and ordered a pair.    It was weird listening to them without a sub,  they really drop off like a rock around 60 hz ,  but with a good sub they rock.  Can't wait.   

I own two pairs of 20s and a pair of 30s. One pair of 20s is solid and needs nothing, but the rest could all use a cabinet refresh.

The solid pair of 20s is one of my favorite speakers I've owned. Smooth, musical mids and highs, with deep, punchy bass. Forced to choose, I'd probably take them over my RF-7IIs. 

In any case, it sounds like you have other issues if you're getting muddy bass. 

• Like 1

To my ear, Heresies are like a pair of rose colored glasses. As long as the source material is of good quality then it will sound great through them. When I moved up from RP-280F, I could suddenly listen to all kinds of music that was too bright or too this-way or that-way on the RP.  I don't know what the KLF sound like/should sound like for comparison since I've never heard them, but your remarks about switching to Heresies sound a lot like what I felt when I got them. I couldn't believe how much better they sounded.

28 minutes ago, Steve. said:

Has anyone ordered a pair recently?  Just wondering if the 6 to 8 weeks is normal or may i get them sooner?

Heresy III's? There are A LOT of online retailers to choose from if Klipsch is out of stock.

Thanks for the reply, already pulled the trigger......  was just wondering.... I demo'd them at Audio Visual Thereapy in Nashua NH .  They to my knowledge are the only Heritage dealer within close proximity.   John and Mark are great guys to deal with,  I would encourage anyone to visit them, great place and great service.   They had a pair of Heresy Capitol in blonde cherry, they were beautiful and I almost took them home.... but I just couldnt justify the $500 + premium over standard finishes.   Plus I really like the standard cherry, plus the PWK badge over the capitol logo.   

I don't spend as much critical time listening as I used to - but I do have a fully glued\braced set of KLF-20's with Crites XO and Ti tweets.

Also have had a couple of sets of H2's, also with Crites XO and Ti tweets.

Swapped back'n'forth quite a bit - diff rooms, treatments, amps\pre's.

I liked them both, but they were different. The KLF's are more "full" and certainly can pound out the bass.

The H2's were "clearer" and yes, more "airy" - but lacking that punch for the most part.

And all of the makes sense to me, given the little I know. Sold a nice set of H2's (KP201's), kept one set of not-so-nice (cosmetically) H2 KP201's and of course, keeping the KLF-20's.

5a280180e5fb0_KlipschKLF-20fitting00.jpg.15dfc308c0f5edbb38dad163ecd2c5c0.jpg

Klipsch KP201b.jpg

Klipsch KP201a.jpg

I had a pair of KLF 20s and they were okay speakers never thought bad of them but never thought they were great Klipsch speakers. :blink:

They were probably screwed up in one way or another.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2017-12-03 at 11:38 AM, Steve. said:

Has anyone ordered a pair recently?  Just wondering if the 6 to 8 weeks is normal or may i get them sooner?

I'm in Canada ordered a pair in walnut from a local heritage dealer a week ago. They told me 3 weeks so we will see!

My Heresys only took a week so hopefully you'll see them soon..... They are well worth the wait.   The fit and finish is excellent, beautiful matched veneer.   I've only got a few hours on them but they sound great.    Big , dynamic sound  thats the closest to live than I've ever had in my living room..... you will like.....  They are fun to listen to and will put a smile on your face when you crank em up

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SWL said:

I bought them new so to me just a okay Klipsch speaker.  They were good for 5.1 home theater but for 2 channel stereo listening Heresy, Forte much better.  I have read about mods you can do to improve the KLF 20s but I never knew about them when I had them.  I went from the KLF 20s to La Scalas and the 20s could not compete.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SWL said:

Sadly I agree, even if they did come straight from Klipsch.  Also front end equipment, positioning, and amps with these types of speakers (multi-woofer, large) have a big bearing on how they sound.  They are not a plop down and listen speaker.  I am still amazed as the components other than the woofers are quite similar if not the same across the line (H2, Forte, Cornwall, etc).  Crossovers are the major difference though everyone has complaints one way or the other across these speakers.  Makes me lean more toward equipment and room interaction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SWL said:

....but with all the potential in the world. emoji5.png

I didn't mean that Klipsch messed up with KLFs.  I mean messed up on the particular speaker, maybe messed up the wiring or possibly something happened in transit.  I myself think Klipsch should resurrect KLFs.  They would be more room friendly, like the RF/RP but much higher performance.  Yes they are a 3-way so will need to be priced accordingly to keep their profit in line.  To me a speaker like the KLF30 with some minor tweaks can crush most other Klipsch offerings.  If you look at some of the Ti updates, it is a no brainer though multi-woofer speakers are typically listed as efficient though need appropriate amplification to make them sing.  Most tube amps with 3.5 ohms in the bass need not apply.

• Like 1

I am thoroughly enjoying these Heresys....  They are such a departure from every other speaker I've owned , including Klipsch CF 4.....  They are an enigma....they are a  60 year old design,  but they do something quite right....  they make music...... I'm using a conrad johnson Classic 2 SE preamp and a pair of Quicksilver Mid Mono amps.   These speakers convey the dynamics and impact of live music like no other speaker I've owned. 

7 hours ago, Steve. said:

I am thoroughly enjoying these Heresys....  They are such a departure from every other speaker I've owned , including Klipsch CF 4.....  They are an enigma....they are a  60 year old design,  but they do something quite right....  they make music...... I'm using a conrad johnson Classic 2 SE preamp and a pair of Quicksilver Mid Mono amps.   These speakers convey the dynamics and impact of live music like no other speaker I've owned. 

I am all about the Heresy.  I have owned KG4's, Forte's, two pairs of Quartet's, and both my Heresy Is and Heresy IIs remain planted in their proper places in my home.  Nothing negative at all about the others but the Heresy line has something special the other players I mentioned do not.  IMO.

It's not Heresy to love the Heresy.;):D

Bill