Wow what a difference Heresy vs KLF20!

efzauner

You're right Willand, there is something special about these speakers.    My son came home for the weekend and wanted to hear them with some of his music.....rap unfortunately.  We cranked 'em up and he was blown away.   I was blown away too.... Their sense of scale and impact is unlike anything I've ever owned.... they handle complex passages without even breaking a sweat.  I was nervous about how they would sound in this room, but they are the perfect size .   They are well balanced and there is not one hint of harshness.  In fact they are smooth compared to some metal domes I've owned.    Their best attribute is they never loose their composure even at higher volumes.  In fact they are so clear that I can see where you could play them at dangerous levels and not realize really how loud it is.    I almost bought another pair of monitors and I'm glad I chose these instead.  Huge value for the money.

More side by side.  Using my old Sure Obstacle course LP on the phasing test. The voice just seemed to sound dead center with the Heresys while hard to place with the KLF 20s.  I checked the woofer and midrange phase/wiring and they where OK.   I did not check the tweeters. Not sure how they would make a difference on the low male voice. 

I also tried this guitar test with the same subjective outcome

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

I also tried this test of panning across left to right. with this test the KLF seemed fine. 

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php

Still somehow the Heresys are just more easy to listen to even without the bass response. It is hard to explain.  ugh.  what do I do... get rid of the KLF20s and the C7 center (replace with heresy parts...) 

2 hours ago, efzauner said:

More side by side.  Using my old Sure Obstacle course LP on the phasing test. The voice just seemed to sound dead center with the Heresys while hard to place with the KLF 20s.  I checked the woofer and midrange phase/wiring and they where OK.   I did not check the tweeters. Not sure how they would make a difference on the low male voice. 

I also tried this guitar test with the same subjective outcome

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

I also tried this test of panning across left to right. with this test the KLF seemed fine. 

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php

Still somehow the Heresys are just more easy to listen to even without the bass response. It is hard to explain.  ugh.  what do I do... get rid of the KLF20s and the C7 center (replace with heresy parts...) 

Are the Heresy's mid and tweeter at the same height as the 20s?  If so, it sounds like something is out of phase, going bad or loose in the crossover/connections.  If they aren't at the same height, you are likely hitting some room interaction issues.

• Like 3

I'm going through a similar issue with my secondary pair of KLF's. They won't image....at all. One of the speakers plays significantly lower than the other and at loud volumes there is some distortion and bad stuff going on. Woofers are new, mid and tweeter diaphragms are new. I recently sealed and re-braced the cabs.

Tomorrow I'm ordering new xovers from Crites. I hope this fixes the issues. The KLF'S in my main system had similar issues when I first got them but after new crossovers, diaphragms, new mid-range drivers, sealing the cabs and adding additional cabinet bracing..... these things play like new. Imaging, soundstage and performance is through the roof.

I'm hoping you can get your 20's to their full potential. I had a pair for a short period of time and really liked them but they couldn't compete with a fixed up KLF-30 in my room.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Are the Heresy's mid and tweeter at the same height as the 20s?  If so, it sounds like something is out of phase, going bad or loose in the crossover/connections.  If they aren't at the same height, you are likely hitting some room interaction issues.

The Hs are on 16 inch stands..approx.  So not exacly same height  Mids/highs about 6 inches lower.   I can double check the crossovers. They seemed fine when I re-caped them. 

2 hours ago, SWL said:

I'm going through a similar issue with my secondary pair of KLF's. They won't image....at all. One of the speakers plays significantly lower than the other and at loud volumes there is some distortion and bad stuff going on. Woofers are new, mid and tweeter diaphragms are new. I recently sealed and re-braced the cabs.

Tomorrow I'm ordering new xovers from Crites. I hope this fixes the issues. The KLF'S in my main system had similar issues when I first got them but after new crossovers, diaphragms, new mid-range drivers, sealing the cabs and adding additional cabinet bracing..... these things play like new. Imaging, soundstage and performance is through the roof.

I'm hoping you can get your 20's to their full potential. I had a pair for a short period of time and really liked them but they couldn't compete with a fixed up KLF-30 in my room.

Good luck!

please do update us when you get them installed !   In the meantime I will recheck things. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, efzauner said:

please do update us when you get them installed !   In the meantime I will recheck things. 

Actually this is one of two reasons that many higher end manufacturers break in and measure the drivers before making matched pairs of speakers.  Also measuring the crossover components.

1.  Get the crossover right so performance can match reference within .5db or so.

2.  Deviations between the pair of drivers, particularly both mid and both treble in this instance, will definitely mess up imaging.

So we hope the drivers are close but not sure which is easier to deal with.  Crossovers or drivers, or even a not so good solder joint.  This is why some folks on this forum remove the slip on connectors and solder the wires to the drivers.  The speakers are much more stable with a good mechanical connection.

• Like 1

Investigating the differences between the Crites crossover and OEM. I see a different autoformer and  LF iron core inductor.  I looked at my crossovers pics that I took while recaping  and there where no switched wires.  I redid the solder points while I was recaping with Solen and Dayton. and also tightened up the connectors before installing them.  So not sure why they can be so off.   How much better his autoformer? 

should I move this discussion to the mods subforum? 

Got the crossovers from Crites yesterday and installed them immediately. I'm relieved to report that the new xovers fixed EVERY issue I was hearing. Now, they image and both speakers play at the same level. No distortion whatsoever.

This pair is just in an unfinished basement. Concrete walls, ductwork, placement is nowhere near a boundary.....just out in the middle of nowhere. They serve as motivation in my half assed work out room......

.....and boy do they motivate. They passed the test letting them rip. c2f4d3f3bbb0f25e45e0e73b8de3be6e.jpg

• 1 year later...