Forte III's and Rega Brio -R

bluesman1960

52 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I do not see a USB so it looks like it is just an integrated amp.  Others can weigh in but 50 wpc might be enough or might be low if you like some bass impact. 

I would take a look at this:

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

Hm, never would have thought of that piece....

bluesman1960,

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the Forte III's.

What is your budget for this integrated amp/receiver?

You may want to look into one of these for a bit less $$$ than the Rega.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas801bl/yamaha-a-s801-2-ch-x-100-watts-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-dac-black/1.html

Bill

OK, used.  Here you go. 

I have one of these.  Musical Fidelity A308CR preamp.  Best preamp that I have ever had:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-musical-fidelity-a308cr-2017-10-13-preamplifiers-94549-lafayette-ca#&gid=1&pid=4

QSC power amp:  Pro amp, but outstanding and inexpensive.  You will need to swap out the fan with a low flow.  Not that difficult. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSC-PLX-3002-Amplifier-Very-Good-Condition-/162724356596

Then if you ever find the matching Musical Fidelity A308CR power amp, jump on it. 

10 minutes ago, bluesman1960 said:

Driving them now with a Cambridge 740a integrated. Not bad but I feel a little lean in the bass dept.

I am a bit surprised at that because I have been driving my Heresy II's with a 640A v2 and the combo really thumps.  Now I know the FIII's are clearly different than the HII's but they do naturally have a bass advantage over them.  When I had my Forte I's and Quartets, I drove them primarily with 80's Denon integrated amps and they really had the punch that I desire.  The Yamaha integrateds should provide equal or better bass than the Denons and most likely better than the CA 740A.

Have you considered just adding a quality stereo amp to the mix and use the 740A as the preamp? 

Where are you located?

Bill

The rega is a great amp.

I’d suggest some other ideas. I’m a tube guy.  The easy tube choice is a Rogue chronos new.  Can’t go wrong. A bit high but you can get used or shop for a deal. It’s a wonderful choice. If going more old school.

A dynakitparts stereo35 as a power amp is a perfect selection. 17watts per Chanel.  Tube power amp. It was considered the poor mans mcintosh.   You can buy the kit and build it.  There is a ton of support or have it built.  The Stereo 35 is my fav amp from outside companies. I’d then get an Oppo Sonica dac.  It has a line in. It had a remote control option if you need. It will stream music from tidal or Spotify without the computer.  And if you then want a phono. Go get the shit phono stage for a $100.  The Oppo has a line stage input. 

Last option is the schiit stack. Get the schiit pre that fits your needs. Then get the schiit vador. More than enough power.  Still with separates.  Totally amazing. All three choices are US made and worthy of pride. 

love my Conrad Johnson CAV50 with my Old Forte, maybe the CAV45, but the only low part, is now the CAV45 have passive preamp, for some source it's a no go? worth to listen to it?

regards

BTW use to have the rega, not R version, but very fun amp, the only minus is with lot of instrument, i found the sound congestion_ed (in classical music) sound great but with small orchestra, not the huge complicated one...

But if i have no amp, i go listen some quicksilver...

lately i listen the new Mcintosh MA5200 (5k$CAD)without the transfo, and after 2 songs it was a no go to WAF and me it took 5 songs(could not afford to put 8k$ on a MA6700, so i didn't listen), Since i was there, i ask to listen the Ayre integrated that i enjoy  a lot this Ayre (20k$ CAD) but that's another ball game...

didn't purchased it, either, but make me dream to win the lottery :) i wish?