Real Guitar Legends

Jeff Matthews

Have to add Brian may of Queen ... actually Dr. Brian May - astrophysicist and past chancellor of Liverpool University.

Reminds me of Freddie Mercury. If someone starts a thread on "legendary lead singers," he is absolutely # 1. :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Steve Howe iz quite good as well.

Thank You.  He’s number two on my favorite list. I did manage to get him to actually speak a few words to me when i met him after a show. He was the least engaging of all the YES band members.  The late Chris Squire was very easy to talk to. 

On 10/27/2017 at 12:12 AM, BigStewMan said:

Even Little BigStewMan should be in this conversation ... 

IMG_0461.JPG

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Thank You.  He’s number two on my favorite list. I did manage to get him to actually speak a few words to me when i met him after a show. He was the least engaging of all the YES band members.  The late Chris Squire was very easy to talk to. 

still waiting for video solo...

16 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

still waiting for video solo...

sorry to disappoint. the guitar is therapy for me. love writing new stuff; but, performing will always be at the very bottom of the list and i don’t suppose it will ever move up the list. I have friends that love to perform and i just don’t get it. 

Agree on what started us off with Roy Clark. If you have not heard it seek out the CD Chester and Lester:

Chester & Lester is a collaborative album by guitarists Chet Atkins and Les Paul released in 1976.

After a quick scan through the pages I don't see any mention of Prince. While not my favorite music no denying his chops.

Mick Ronson playing with Bowie is no slouch either.

As far as Guitar Legends go, I have a ton of the old guys I still like. I like guys like Steve Vai, Gary Moore, Eddie Van Halen and a lot of the other guitarists that have already been mentioned in the previous pages. As far as modern day guitarists with talent I think they are much fewer and far between. Today it seems to me the music itself is of less importance and image is everything. I saw dirtmudd post early on the girl phenoms, most of which could easily blow some of the men out of the studio. 

Tina S is one amazing guitarist. Totally emotionless when she plays, which actually distracts..... but she is one hell of a talent. 

As far as todays talent I really like Synister Gates and Zacky Vengeance of Avenged Sevenfold. They have the chemistry and talent that most modern rock bands lack. 

I like a lot of the progressive rock and metal guitarists. Savatage with Criss Oliva and later Chris Caffery and Al Pitrelli who later formed TSO really started the progressive metal. I really like Dream Theater's John Petrucci and Avalon's Timo Tolkki as well. If you aren't familiar with them, check them out.