Real Guitar Legends

Jeff Matthews

I wasn't a Billy Idiol fan....never

paid intention to the guitarist .

I bought bozzio levin and stevens..

black light syndrome when it was released.. knew of Bozzio and Levin..

who is Steve Stevens.  must be someone new...I did not put together

the connection of Billy Idiol..

4 hours ago, pantoramasan said:

Maybe I missed it but, no love for Hubert Sumlin?

I saw him open (solo) for Taj Mahal, you could see that the talent was still there but his skills had diminished by that point. Old age is a cruel mistress.

I tended to shy away from Savatage when they started getting more progressive...but the old material is classic timeless metal.

I bought the Sirens CD just because of the artwork, and it turned out to be one of the favored metal albums for myself and my friends during that time period. (released on CD '88?)

30 minutes ago, RT FAN said:

I saw him open (solo) for Taj Mahal, you could see that the talent was still there but his skills had diminished by that point. Old age is a cruel mistress.

Unfortunately that is true and that is life. I have most if not all of his CD's and albums. My favorite is still Hubert Sumlin's Blues party. Great on vinyl and excellent on CD.

BTW, I recently saw TajMo' (Taj Mahal & Ket Mo) Here in Tucson, small venue. Was pretty good.

Here's two guys who both played guitar in Fairport Convention most people never heard of, but their contemporaries certainly have.

Jerry Donahue a/k/a The Master of The Telecaster, of whom no less than a guitar legend Danny Gatton called: "the string-bending king of the planet".

Martin Allcock, an awesome multi instrumentalist whose primary instrument is actually the bass, but who played keyboards and mandolin in Jethro Tull for 4 years and lead guitar in Fairport for 11 years. King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp said the following about Maart: "Maart is a much more versatile player than I ever was."

The really scary thing is that these two wonderful guitar players aren't even viewed as the best guitarist to play in Fairport! That tiile is usually reserved for Richard Thompson.

• Like 1