Three Forte IIIs purchased, now need Amp match

Mike V

5 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Get a Pioneer Elite. 

+1  I have a Pioneer SC-77 and it does a great job all around. Also has a Phono input.

Don't worry about having unused AVR features. It's better to have the connections in case you want/need them later. 

Congrats on the Forte IIIs. VERY cool.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, willland said:

Let's hope this arrangement is only temporary.

Bill

I was thinking it was temporary but just wanted to say something anyway just incase. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Schu said:

You're right... no one like symmetry anyway. :P

Could have been part of what bothered me, and that stuff is usually not high on my list ?

On 10/26/2017 at 7:54 PM, Mike V said:

What type of integrated AV receiver do you all recommend

Suggest a dual amp setup. For example ... a Marantz SR5011 (cheapest) WITH a LINE OUT. Use the "line out" to feed a vintage amp (such as a Marantz 22** series) and you will get much better sound from your Forte's (at least from L/R :) ). 

I am using this in my TV room. Onkyo AVR with Klipsch KG5.2's, 3.2's, 1.5's, and a KV2 center ... PLUS Cornwall's via a Marantz 2252B. Originally had my Cornwall's hooked up to the AVR ... AWFUL/LOUSY :(  (Yes; did have to add additional AVR front speakers ... but since we are all crazy, you've probably got "extra's.")

Cheers, Emile

On 11/2/2017 at 2:08 PM, dtel said:

Hate to be the one to say it but the pic of your setup is not going to work very well. :ph34r:

Need to do some kind of rearranging, the speaker for the center needs to be under or above the tv, the voices are going to sound way off from the picture.  I don't see an easy way to fix it with that TV stand, sorry. Wall mount the tv and move the speakers ?

Sorry just trying to help

I am just testing the new speakers that just arrived.  I have a grand plan, with a much better paint job, a large TV on the wall (left of this corner) and using these three Forte IIIs as L/C/R for TV watching (mostly my wife), and two channel 2.0 stereo for my listening pleasure, plus much nicer chairs to listen from.  The furniture and everything else is going with my son as he moves out this weekend.  I am converting a game room used mostly by my kids to a beautiful music listening room.  I think my component stand will be to the right of the speakers and TV, where the TV in the photo is now.

I was just testing two of these speakers.  They sound so much better than what I am used to, I can only imaging how great they will sound when properly positioned and set up with a new AVR and components, plus a turntable that I have not had in 30 years,  I thought I made this point earlier.  I am a little disappointed people thought this was my final setup. :)

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 4:29 PM, Emile said:

Suggest a dual amp setup. For example ... a Marantz SR5011 (cheapest) WITH a LINE OUT. Use the "line out" to feed a vintage amp (such as a Marantz 22** series) and you will get much better sound from your Forte's (at least from L/R :) ). 

I am using this in my TV room. Onkyo AVR with Klipsch KG5.2's, 3.2's, 1.5's, and a KV2 center ... PLUS Cornwall's via a Marantz 2252B. Originally had my Cornwall's hooked up to the AVR ... AWFUL/LOUSY :(  (Yes; did have to add additional AVR front speakers ... but since we are all crazy, you've probably got "extra's.")

Cheers, Emile

I think I will be going with an AVR for starters.  When I get bored and less impressed with that over time, and my bank account replenishes, I suspect I will be look at dual amping.  Just do not say anything to my wife, who believes in budgets. :)

• Like 1

I guess in my excitement, I did not place this photo in the previous thread where I discussed my grand plan, and I did not explain very well that I had just opened these speakers and was just testing them for the first time (I have not tested the one on the far right in the photo yet).  They sound so much better than my old Polk Monitor Series 11T's that I bought 30 years ago.  My apologies for the confusion that I may have caused here. 

I have worked hard and I have a long list of Snob goals:

1) I am proud to be an experienced coffee snob that buys freshly roasted beans and grinds them for my espresso machine to make superb coffee.
2) I make my own beer, so I am getting to be a knowledgeable beer snob
3) I can fake wine expertise pretty well now
4) Audiophile

Ever since I was a relatively poor kid, and could only afford a JC Penny stereo in high school, I have dreamed of being a true audiophile "snob" with high quality audio equipment.  Now that I have put three kids through college, I am ready to spend.  I was afraid these Forte IIIs might not be all the speaker I wanted, but after testing them in the poor setup you saw in the photo, on a Yamaha RX-V377 (that my son will be taking with him), I am certain I made a great speaker choice, and I will not need a subwoofer down the road.  Frankly, I was shocked how well they sounded in the purely "make sure the new speakers work" setup.  I think this room will have excellent acoustics when my setup and optimization is complete.  Did I mention my architect daughter is helping me with the room design?  

I really do appreciate all the amp/AVR advice.  I need got start making some more decisions, but I really wanted to get the most important part, speaker selection, completed first, and I am quite happy with these Forte IIIs in this testing mode set up. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mike V said:

I think I will be going with an AVR for starters.  When I get bored and less impressed with that over time, and my bank account replenishes, I suspect I will be look at dual amping.  Just do not say anything to my wife, who believes in budgets. :)

Sounds like a plan.  Good news is the AVR play to their rated power level with 2.0.  Once you add channels the wpc goes down.  Marantz or Yamaha IMO would be my choice.  Get one with pre-outs for when you stumble into some nice amps accidentally :D

1 hour ago, AsD said:

Why would anyone ever want to use 3 speakers? I have seen 4 and offcourse 2. But never 3.

Actually three speakers(L-C-R) can sound pretty good for music.  Not sure if OP's current placement is ideal though.  My NAD preamp/processor has a mode called "Enhanced Stereo" which can be configured from 1 to 7 speakers.  I usually listen with 5 channels(L-C-R, surrounds) but with only the front three active the sound is quite pleasing.  With Audyssey MultEQ XT engaged with the "NAD Curve" selected, it has spot on imaging/soundstage with great body to the music.

Bill

18 minutes ago, willland said:

Actually three speakers(L-C-R) can sound pretty good for music.  Not sure if OP's current placement is ideal though.  My NAD preamp/processor has a mode called "Enhanced Stereo" which can be configured from 1 to 7 speakers.  I usually listen with 5 channels(L-C-R, surrounds) but with only the front three active the sound is quite pleasing.  With Audyssey MultEQ XT engaged with the "NAD Curve" selected, it has spot on imaging/soundstage with great body to the music.

Bill

Doesn't that just ruin stereo and pretty much nothing else? Surround i get. And quad listening can be fine to. But 3 speakers just sound weird to me.

1 minute ago, AsD said:

But 3 speakers just sound weird to me.

In theory, it does "sound" a bit weird but I was pleasantly surprised how it does "sound" musically using the NAD pre/pro/Acurus amps combo.  I actually prefer it with 5 channels and it too still has an accurate stereo effect with great imaging/soundstage.  I occasionally listen in just stereo with this setup but usually take a side trip to one of my dedicated stereo rigs for that pleasure.

Bill

51 minutes ago, AsD said:

Doesn't that just ruin stereo and pretty much nothing else? Surround i get. And quad listening can be fine to. But 3 speakers just sound weird to me.

3 hours ago, AsD said:

Why would anyone ever want to use 3 speakers? I have seen 4 and offcourse 2. But never 3.

Identical LCR's is always superior for home theater environments.  Perfectly matched timbre on the center channel as well as perfect panning across the sound stage.  Anything else other than three identical ones is a compromise.  Marketing has brainwashed people into thinking they need a horizontal center channel in all situations but that's just not true.  Your center should be the exact same thing as your main speakers whenever possible. 

If you did listen to 2 channel music, it would simply come through the main speakers, the AVR handles that, nobody's wiring up two speakers on one channel and one on the other.  Surely nobody thinks this but some of the comments has got me skeptical.  

As for getting three and nothing else, I'm pretty sure the plan is to add surrounds.  Not everybody can do everything all at once.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Identical LCR's is always superior for home theater environments.  Perfectly matched timbre on the center channel as well as perfect panning across the sound stage.  Anything else other than three identical ones is a compromise.  Marketing has brainwashed people into thinking they need a horizontal center channel in all situations but that's just not true.  Your center should be the exact same thing as your main speakers whenever possible. 

If you did listen to 2 channel music, it would simply come through the main speakers, the AVR handles that, nobody's wiring up two speakers on one channel and one on the other.  Surely nobody thinks this but some of the comments has got me skeptical.  

As for getting three and nothing else, I'm pretty sure the plan is to add surrounds.  Not everybody can do everything all at once.  

I know how ht works. Op clearly says that this is for music listening.

That is why i am a bit puzzled😛

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AsD said:

I know how ht works. Op clearly says that this is for music listening.

That is why i am a bit puzzled😛

Dude clearly has a TV in the middle and people wonder why he might want a center channel?  :) Obviously it's pulling double duty.  To be honest the only serious music listening I do nowadays is with concert blu rays.  I am not a fan of listening to those in stereo.  

12 hours ago, Mike V said:

Just do not say anything to my wife

I won't :) ... just remember a vintage amp doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. Have found many (Sansui, Technics, etc) on CraigsList and OfferUp for $50-100.

Cheers, Emile

The three speakers are for TV - L/C/R.  The TV is not yet purchased.  When I listen to music, it will be 2 channels.  Two of these these Forte IIIs fills up the room, no problem, but I am looking forward to a matched center speaker.  I already have a media room with 7.1 and am happy with it, even though it is ten years old.  I have no current intention of getting surrounds or a subwoofer for my "music room" with a TV.  When I watch movies where surround sound might be enjoyable, I will use the media room.  

To be honest, I have tried, but failed to enjoy concert DVDs in my media room.  Maybe I will like them better in my music room, who knows?