Something new=more use

dtel

• Moderators

Is it just me but when a change is made it tends to make you use everything more ?

We made a sub change, Ht main speakers plus switched receiver and now we are using it MUCH more than we have in years. I even tend to listen to regular Tv with the Ht speakers now, never did this before. 

Everything sounds much better and it's like a new excitement for HT, it hardly been used for years but that's changed now.

So now it's 2 Ch in the day and Ht at night, even if it just regular Tv at night, it's shocking how much  bass is in TV commercials and some Tv shows.

• Like 3

Agree that a change can get you excited to use things again. A couple of months back I swapped out some mismatched bookcases for new cabinets for my vinyl and gear and that got me back to using my room a lot more. I guess change is good, no?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Is it just me but when a change is made it tends to make you use everything more ?

We made a sub change, Ht main speakers plus switched receiver and now we are using it MUCH more than we have in years. I even tend to listen to regular Tv with the Ht speakers now, never did this before. 

Everything sounds much better and it's like a new excitement for HT, it hardly been used for years but that's changed now.

So now it's 2 Ch in the day and Ht at night, even if it just regular Tv at night, it's shocking how much  bass is in TV commercials and some Tv shows.

We have been doing this for a while now even though my two different systems are in different rooms. We use the HT system for all our TV needs...

• Like 1

• Moderators

I didn’t think about this until now but I used to listen to music only once every 3 -4 weeks in my office.  At the time I had KG 3.2 but recently upgraded to RB-61 II and I’ve been listening to them almost every day since buying them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Schu said:

It seems, like with most things in life, that a plateau is eventually reached... and malaise sets in. Making changes does indeed renew interest and passion.

I think that describes it perfectly, malaise.

The Ht was far from a plateau, the speakers were fine but it was a combination of things, an ok sub and a not so great avr. I tried a better avr but still old, almost 10 years old and the sound is much better, then a new sub made a huge difference. Plus one thing was we did 2 ch more than anything and it was not connected to tv in any way. 

5 hours ago, canyonman said:

We have been doing this for a while now even though my two different systems are in different rooms. We use the HT system for all our TV needs...

We rarely used the ht for regular tv until now.  A friend always asked why don't you use the ht for tv ? I never had a good answer, I guess it was just habit ?

Well I am glad we are using it more and it definitely sounds better, it takes up space (6 fortes) so it would be silly not to use it.

11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Yea sometimes even a small change will make me want to use the HT system more. It is amazing that some commercials sound great :D

Sometimes it's just the wife watching something on tv and I am on the computer with my back to everything and the sound is surprising better for some commercials compared to the tv show, some commercials have serious bass.

But the crazy thing is some channels do not have good sound compared to most, like  ESPN, I would think it's mostly geared to men and would have decent sound since it's mostly men watching and they are usually who set up HT in most homes.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

I do remember cranking it up once when I ran across Nascar, it was when they had a camera and sound IN the car, and also close to the track as the cars passed. It was quite a cool sound, some drag races are good also. 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Change is good and it will get you to use the new system more.  Watching TV using the HT speaker is nice, especially on game day if you like sports.:)

We do like sports, football games have good sound, games on channels other than ESPN at least, it sounds kind of flat compared to other channels. We watch Monday night, Thursday and depending on who's playing sunday during the day, and also that night, Christy likes football, good thing. Out of all the games only MNF has weak sound, even the commercials are dull ?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Me Loves Khorns said:

What are you guys doing for center channel in the new set up?

Forte ll for a center, Forte lll's L&R mains, back L&R are original Fortes and a Forte ll for rear center.........had to do something with the extra speaker, 1502 for a sub. A crazy mix of Forte's. But it does sound good...........maby a Forte lll for a center one day. 

Originally had another pair of Forte ll's as mains but decided to give them to our daughter with our old sub for her new/old remodeled house.  

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Out of all the games only MNF has weak sound, even the commercials are dull ?

Monday Night Football is now on ESPN.  Do you have the regular feed or HD?  The regular feed is highly compressed whereas the HD sound is MUCH better than standard, including the bass which was noted further upstream ^^^.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Monday Night Football is now on ESPN.  Do you have the regular feed or HD?  The HD sound is MUCH better than standard, including the bass which was noted further upstream ^^^.

Yes it's why MNF does not sound like any other game we watch, there is a big difference, don't know why.

All HD, it's all we watch, mostly because the picture is so much better, plus like you said the sound is much better also. Dish network, most channels have both HD and regular, if I hit the regular feed it switches to 2 ch and lower quality sound, and definitely a worse picture.

Now we have a older satellite receiver, I thought about calling for newer model but were not in contract anymore so we would have to sign up again. I guess I need to see if they have better receivers, kind of hope not, staying out of contract makes it free to quit if we decide on some other service. I know it will not be cable, here it cost more than satellite.

The crazy part is new people signing up for satellite service even after the lower trial period get's a better price than we do and we have been with them for many years. Thought about canceling and signing up with my wife's name. :o

Just now, dtel said:

The crazy part is new people signing up for satellite service even after the lower trial period get's a better price than we do and we have been with them for many years. Thought about canceling and signing up with my wife's name

Agree!!!  :angry2:

I just went through an upgrade with my Suddenlink cable TV.  I paid mo. $140 for basic cable and internet 50up/5down.  I got adverts for satellite for $25 mo and new people signing up for my same cable/internet package could get the $69 per month rate for two years.  Grr.  

I called Suddenlink and threatened to get the satellite package and they IMMEDIATELY lowered my bill by $40 and my internet is now 200/20.

It's all such a rip-off and Suddenlink didn't even tell me about the better package with the lower rates.  GRRRR!!!!

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

It's all such a rip-off and Suddenlink didn't even tell me about the better package with the lower rates.  GRRRR!!!!

My opinion....there is no better package. Companies charge more if they can, then lower the costs in cases like yours. They make money either way.

Call them again near the end date of that better package, and ask if you're eligible for any deals. Kind of a PITA (another item to keep track of) but the savings are worth it.

18 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Sorry for the thread deviation, dtel.

I quoted @dtel thread, so at least I didn't go off the rail by myself.  :lol:  Since I am dealing with this right now, let's just say I'm still a bit "edgy."  

What can I say?  I'm a sensitive guy.  :rolleyes: