Something new=more use

dtel

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rivernuggets said:

Sorry for the thread deviation, dtel.

It is fun to mix things up, gear or speakers. Reminds us how fun this is!

No problem I started it complaining about the satellite problems which is the same as cable or internet problems, they will get you one way or another. 

I have looked at many of the online services to cut the cord but none really have the channels/shows we tend to watch, not surprised really. We have a ridiculous number of channels and probably only watch 10-12 different ones, it's a racket. I would be happy with just local channels for sports, discovery, science, history, travel and a few others channels but of course no one has a package like that you must get the other 150 you will rarely or never watch..

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Now we have a older satellite receiver, I thought about calling for newer model but were not in contract anymore so we would have to sign up again. I guess I need to see if they have better receivers, kind of hope not, staying out of contract makes it free to quit if we decide on some other service. I know it will not be cable, here it cost more than satellite.

The crazy part is new people signing up for satellite service even after the lower trial period get's a better price than we do and we have been with them for many years. Thought about canceling and signing up with my wife's name. :o

The new Direct receiver can't transfer the recordings off the old receiver, so you'll lose whatever programs you had saved on it. I moved last year and left the old antenna on the old house and brought the receivers I had. The new antenna is much less forgiving of weather. Before I could get reception if I got the accumulated snow off the dish with a broom, now the new one cuts out every time it rains. So something new=less use.

• Moderators

I don't use a DVR so that's not a problem but like you said the new receiver may not be any better ? We get no snow and it has to rain really bad for it to cut out for a couple of minutes, not enough to even count.