6SN7 Tubes

jcmusic

My Glass Audio 45 tube amp used a 6SN7, but I cannibalized the chassis to build the Little Sweetie monos which each use a 6SJ7. I'm just dying to know what the huge improvement in sound quality might be. Could you possibly let us in on the secret???

Ok guys this is what I have learned, the 6J5 GT tube is exactly one half of the 6SN7. So you will need adapters that go from two 6J5 GT's to one 6SN7 tube. The adapters can be found on ebay for around $50 for a pair. These tubes are the most linear octal tube out there period, if you know anything about tubes the more linear the better the sound quality. I have been using these tubes for about two months now prior to that I was using the 6F8G tubes which are identical to the 6SN7 but have a different pinout so an adapter is needed. I got tired of paying the unreal prices for vintage NOS 6SN7 tubes. I tried the 6F8G tubes at the request of a friend and never looked back, they are better than the 6SN7 in every way. Now back to the 6J5 GT's these are way better than anything I have ever tried before and I have tried a lot of them!!! These tubes are so linear it will take you a bit to get use to them but, they do sound a lot better than any 6SN7 I ever heard!!! Also they are easy to find and dirt cheap!!!

Now here is the only bad news!!! You will have to go through a few of them to get a matched pair or quad because they are very microphonic!!! Other than that they are simply awesome!!! It is well worth the effort to try and find some that work!!! If anyone is planning on trying them PM me and I can tell you which ones sound like what....

2 minutes ago, canyonman said:

Ok guys this is what I have learned, the 6J5 GT tube is exactly one half of the 6SN7. So you will need adapters that go from two 6J5 GT's to one 6SN7 tube. The adapters can be found on ebay for around $50 for a pair. These tubes are the most linear octal tube out there period, if you know anything about tubes the more linear the better the sound quality. I have been using these tubes for about two months now prior to that I was using the 6F8G tubes which are identical to the 6SN7 but have a different pinout so an adapter is needed.

Adapters???? How about hole saw, drill press, soldering iron..... we don't need no steenkin' adapters? Seriously, having to go thru a stack of tubes to find one that works or isn't temperamental doesn't sound very appealing. Many if not most of the published schematics for 45, 2A3, 300B, and other amps use the 6SN7.

1 hour ago, Davecv41 said:

Adapters???? How about hole saw, drill press, soldering iron..... we don't need no steenkin' adapters? Seriously, having to go thru a stack of tubes to find one that works or isn't temperamental doesn't sound very appealing. Many if not most of the published schematics for 45, 2A3, 300B, and other amps use the 6SN7.

Well bro you don't have to be a part of this thread! Just don't post in it any more if your not interested! it is for the others who may want to spend the time to find better sound quality!!!

12 hours ago, Don Richard said:

If the 6J5 is "exactly1/2 of a 6SN7" why go to the trouble of extra sockets or adapters then? Why, "exactly", would they sound different ? ;)

I don't know the why but, I can tell you that back in the day the 6J5 was a single triode in glass. Then I guess someone had the idea to put two triodes in a single glass and the 6SN7 was born... As for sound one vendor told me they sound exactly like their counterparts the 6SN7 of the same brand, because the exact same material was used. This I don't know for sure, what I do know is this is the most linear tube in the octal world period!!! The more linear the better the sound it is just that simple!!!

On 10/27/2017 at 6:58 AM, canyonman said:

Anyone here using these tubes in their systems? If so and you are interested in a huge improvement in sound quality just reply. 

Hey canyonman:

Sure I am interested, in any sound improvements possible.

My status is I am building mono-blocks, 6J5 pre-amp, 6SL7 Phase Splitter, 6SN7 Driver to P-P 807's. 6AQ5&6CB6- OC2 Screen Regulator to the outputs,...

What are your thoughts for sound improvement?

Tim

5 hours ago, Tim Sr. said:

Hey canyonman:

Sure I am interested, in any sound improvements possible.

My status is I am building mono-blocks, 6J5 pre-amp, 6SL7 Phase Splitter, 6SN7 Driver to P-P 807's. 6AQ5&6CB6- OC2 Screen Regulator to the outputs,...

What are your thoughts for sound improvement?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Without getting way technical this was intended for 6SN7 users, that want better sound quality at a much cheaper price than paying for vintage NOS 6SN7's... Basically I been using 6SN7's for years until I discovered the 6F8G about five years ago, been using them until a couple months ago when I learned about the 6J5 GT's and how cheap they are!!! In summary just use the 6J5 GT where ever you can in place of 6SN7's...

Ahhh ok Now I am with you, I read it! I understood that, just didn't make the connection. And yes the 6J5 is running cheap and even cheaper if you want to go with Russian equivalents.

I figure a question asked is opportunity to learn something, and since I am right at the beginning of this build, it would be good to ask. I appreciate your response thank you

Tim

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim Sr. said:

Ahhh ok Now I am with you, I read it! I understood that, just didn't make the connection. And yes the 6J5 is running cheap and even cheaper if you want to go with Russian equivalents.

I figure a question asked is opportunity to learn something, and since I am right at the beginning of this build, it would be good to ask. I appreciate your response thank you

Tim

Hey Tim,

No problem brother willing to help however I can, with that said I use these tubes in my pre-amp and not my amp. Simply because in the pre-amp is where I get the most benefit in sound quality, I may try them in the amp also down the road...