6SN7 Tubes

jcmusic

On 11/1/2017 at 4:31 PM, wdecho said:

I have been buying some 6H8C NOS Russian tubes for less than $10 apiece on Ebay for an excellent 6SN7 replacement. Russian NOS tubes are a deal right now. Do not expect it to last forever. 

I did some reading on these and they didn't do so well in most peoples opinion!!!

On 10/31/2017 at 6:22 AM, canyonman said:

Hey Tim,

No problem brother willing to help however I can, with that said I use these tubes in my pre-amp and not my amp. Simply because in the pre-amp is where I get the most benefit in sound quality, I may try them in the amp also down the road...

Error/post deleted

10 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I am at the mercey of of some downloaded files.  4 out of 5 were good, but it's not the down load, it is the original recording.  I have been warned not to go to far back in time, lol.

Not sure where you are going with this, care to explain???

Forgive my curiosity as I was wondering too, what files and how does time frame apply?

On another note for canyonman, I have been doing a bit of research on the  parameters of the 6SN7, since I will be using that as my driver, only to learn why it is the better choice. It has to do with the trans-conductance factor, in that it being so linear in the audio spectrum. It is also the same reason to use the 6J5 as the pre-amp, or another 6SN7. The Russian version was running about $2.50 each (4@ $9.99) plus shipping. I nabbed 8 and will be testing them once they arrive. As you were saying the time is now to grab a few. 

Tim

39 minutes ago, wdecho said:

No use arguing with what someone has "read" but I have 3 amplifiers that use 6SN7 driver tubes or their equivalents and numerous brands both NOS and new production 6SN7 tubes and with my old ears I will stand by my statement about the NOS Russian 6H8C tubes. Not a lot of expense for skeptics to at least try. The last ones I bought were $13.98 for a pair shipped. One new production 6SN7 will cost that much or more. No need for me to use 3 exclamation marks to express my opinion.

Ok well they may work for you in your system, hopefully you know tubes are system dependent and you may have found a good match for your system? I was just saying what I read by many others on different forums. Also no need for you to point out my use of exclamation marks, unless you are looking for a pissing contest or something!!!