World Series

DizRotus

I'm rooting for Houston for several reasons, including Justin Verlander.  

Watching that amazing game the other night caused me to re-think the designated hitter rule.  There is a chance Verlander would have stayed in the game under AL rules.  With NL rules, it made complete sense to pinch hit for him in that game.  Which rules apply is another aspect of home field advantage.

My younger son suggests that, during the regular season, inter-league games should be played by the visitors' rules.  That way fans in AL cities would get to see pitchers bat, whereas fans in NL cites would see designated hitters.  If they did it for the entire regular season it would even out.  It makes almost complete sense.  It would be a mistake to use that system during the World Series.

I'm sure he's not the first person to suggest it, but my son is the first one to suggest it to me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

They should make both leagues have a DH or eliminate it from both leagues.  They're both under the same MLB banner and it's ridiculous to have separate rules for the AL and NL teams.

I agree. It think the pitchers should hit, just part of the game. Babe Ruth did it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

They should make both leagues have a DH or eliminate it from both leagues.  They're both under the same MLB banner and it's ridiculous to have separate rules for the AL and NL teams.

I agree, but which rules?  There are advantages and disadvantages to each.  Growing up in Cincinnati, I saw NL rules (I know, in those days of tiny mitts and horsehide balls there were no DHs in AL either) so I appreciate the strategies involved.  Having been a Tigers fan for many decades now, I appreciate seeing people, like Victor Martinez, contributing long after they would be liabilities in the field.  Also, AL pitchers face 9 hitters, rather than 8 hitters and a pitcher.

Until they agree on a unified rule, I like my son's plan, except during WS.

Go Astros.  You gotta love Altuve.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I agree, but which rules?  There are advantages and disadvantages to each.  Growing up in Cincinnati, I saw NL rules (I know, in those days of tiny mitts and horsehide balls there were no DHs in AL either) so I appreciate the strategies involved.  Having been a Tigers fan for many decades now, I appreciate seeing people, like Victor Martinez, contributing long after they would be liabilities in the field.  Also, AL pitchers face 9 hitters, rather than 8 hitters and a pitcher.

Until they agree on a unified rule, I like my son's plan, except during WS.

I agree but have no solution.  long time follower of baseball, don't watch a lot these days.  long time fan of NL teams, had to adopt one since no team in B'ham.  then the story strays OT... so back on point.  I love the requirement of the NL strategy because your pitcher has to at least try to do his part at bat.  and some have done it pretty well.  can't confidently name them, but seems like several Braves pitchers back in the day could hold their own - Maddux or others.  and yes, I kind of like AL pitchers having to face 9 real batters.  yes, the DH does give some players a few more years on the team.  IDK what you do or how you resolve this.

Diz - I like your son's idea too.  and yes, MUST scrap it for post-season, and go with home field "house rules" for playoff & WS

• Like 1

If forced to choose, I guess I would go with NL rules.  There have been some relatively good hitting pitchers.  Other than Babe Ruth, I can't recall one so good he was moved to a position to get the bat in the lineup each game. Rick Ankiel springs to mind as someone who converted from a poor pitcher to an outfielder.

You're correct @-js- house rules should apply during the entire postseason, not just WS.

• Like 1

I don't have a dog in the fight but so far it has been a very entertaining series. I think the Astros & Indians have played some of the best baseball over the last two seasons, so I guess I am pulling for the Astros. Sorry I just can't bring myself to root for any team from LA, especially the Dodgers who deserted Brooklyn all those years ago & broke my father's heart.

• Like 2

Not a baseball fan, or sports fan of anything other an Formula One, but that guy with the Dodgers who licks his bat and talks to it, sure sparked some interest.  Freaking psycho, but I like him, especially when he does that little dance routine on the home plate.

How Bout Them Asto's!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Not a baseball fan, or sports fan of anything other an Formula One, but that guy with the Dodgers who licks his bat and talks to it, sure sparked some interest.  Freaking psycho, but I like him, especially when he does that little dance routine on the home plate.

How Bout Them Asto's!!!

That's Yasiel Puig.  Dodgers fan's love him, as I am a Doyers' fan myself.  They chant his name when he comes to the plate.  Reminds me of the movie 'Major League'.  Cerrano pays homage to 'Jobu' throughout the flick.

Yasiel Puig

cover-1.jpg.ca8a2cc3e264c1d999fba1a57e484a64.jpg

Cerrano

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.6f178dd20a3d6526c5fcf6df4989cb7d.jpg

Stretch correlation.  Go Dodgers!!

52 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I think it's funny how spitting has become a custom.  Where else do large groups of people gather and spit constantly?

You've obviously never been to a family reunion in West Virginia.  Even grandma spits!  :lol:

• Haha 1