DizRotus

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, USNRET said:

Help me understand 

Pitcher throws ball into dirt.

what requires new ball?

rule

batter

umpire

The main reason for replacing a ball that has dirt on it is safety. The ball has to be visible to the batter so he can avoid it if it's coming right at him. A 100-MPH fastball takes less than one second to make the 60.5-foot journey to home plate. (My calculator says only about 4/10ths of a second.) If the ball has dirt on it, it's even more difficult for the batter to see it as it exits the pitcher's hand, and it's impossible for the batter to get out of the way if it's heading straight for his head. (Goose Gossage hit Ron Cey on his batting helmet with a 98-MPH fastball in the 1981 World Series and Cey dropped like a marionette that had all it's strings cut at once.)

The batter is trying to see that ball against a varied background that makes it even tougher for him. The reason the seating area behind the outfield fence in Dodger Stadium that's directly behind center field is covered in black fabric is to make it a bit easier for batters to see the ball. For decades, instead of black fabric there were patrons sitting there, and the varied background they created made it especially difficult for batters to hit (and avoid being hit).

Some truly great baseball was played in this year's World Series. The Dodger hitters didn't make adjustments during game 7, kept swinging for the fences and left 10 on base. That gave the series to the Astros. All we had to do was score a couple in the first (when we left the bases loaded) and it's a completely different game. We'll be back in it next year... 

4 minutes ago, hsosdrummer said:

The main reason for replacing a ball that has dirt on it is safety.

Got it, understand all but, what is the rule?
I am fine if there is a rule that states 'if the ball touches anything but pitcher's and catcher's hand / glove then it must be taken out of play. I am just trying to find that. I never see a signal from the ump to toss it, it just happens.
Idle curiosity from watching the games.

36 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Got it, understand all but, what is the rule?

There is no such rule in the MLB rulebook.  Replacing the ball every time is just what they do.  The balls that are removed from play are used by the clubs for hitting practice and are sold as officially licensed game-used memorabilia.

28 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

There is no such rule in the MLB rulebook.  Replacing the ball every time is just what they do.  The balls that are removed from play are used by the clubs for hitting practice and are sold as officially licensed game-used memorabilia.

Hate to beat the dead horse but if there is no 'rule' and the dirty / scuffed ball is an advantage to the offense defense then why wouldn't the catcher toss it back to his pitcher?

14 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Hate to beat the dead horse but if there is no 'rule' and the dirty / scuffed ball is an advantage to the offense then why wouldn't the catcher toss it back to his pitcher?

It would be an advantage to the defense, specifically the pitcher.  The point is to neutralize an advantage either way.  If the umpire does not toss it, the batter can request a new ball anyway.  Also, if a pitcher does not like the feel of a ball, they can also request another ball.

Just now, USNRET said:

I just edited my post realizing my mistake. Perhaps it is my eyes but I never SEE a motion that indicates "toss that ball out"

The players do it verbally.  In the case of the pitcher, he will step off of the rubber and indicate he is throwing to the catcher for the purpose of a new ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

The players do it verbally.  In the case of the pitcher, he will step off of the rubber and indicate he is throwing to the catcher for the purpose of a new ball.

Got it, saw it
Ball comes in and skips off dirt into catcher's glove...I see nor hear anything (in broadcast) but catcher tosses ball aside and ump gives him a new one. This is the communication I am missing therefore my question about rule.

8 hours ago, USNRET said:

Hate to beat the dead horse but if there is no 'rule' and the dirty / scuffed ball is an advantage to the offense defense then why wouldn't the catcher toss it back to his pitcher?

No problem at all!  But you did make me go to the rule book to find your answer.  Technically, there is a rule.

2017 Official Baseball Rules  (OBR)

TL;DR - The pitcher cannot pitch a ball which has a "foreign substance" on it, or a ball which has been defaced, or scuffed.

I was a pretty serious ump at one time so I have the three "bibles" MLB uses for training their umpires from the minors to the majors.  The Umpire Development Program (UDP)uses the UDP NAPBL Umpire Manual, UDP Manual for the two-umpire System, and the Official Baseball Rules (OBR).  Aside from the Official Rules the umpire interprets the rules and the manuals trains umps on everything, from what to do during the national to procedures for dealing with someone charging the mound, which is not covered in the official rules.

The OBR covers the rules, and has integrated into it the Casebook, which is the interpretation of the rules.

The Official Rules even gives the ump the authority to make decisions about anything NOT in the rule book.   Remember years ago when Randy Johnson threw a pitch, hit and killed a bird?  Is that a ball or strike?  Well, that's not in the rule book, but it was covered by my favorite rule, 9.01(c).  "The umpire has the authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules."  That is known informally as the "umpire is god" rule.  B)

Back to the ball question rule, from the OBR:

Rule 3.01 deals with The Ball

Rule 3.0 -Preliminaries

(3.02) No player shall intentionally discolor or damage the ball by rubbing it with soil, rosin, paraffin, licorice, sand-paper, emerypaper or other foreign substance. PENALTY: The umpire shall demand the ball and remove the offender from the game. In addition, the offender shall be suspended automatically for 10 games. For rules in regard to a pitcher defacing the ball, see Rules 6.02(c)(2) through (6) (Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6)).

Rule 6.2(c)

(c) (8.02) Pitching Prohibitions The pitcher shall not:

(4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;

(5) deface the ball in any manner; or (6) deliver a ball altered in a manner prescribed by Rule 6.02(c)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands

The interpretation is that when any ball is defaced (struck by bat) or has a foreign substance on it (pitch in the dirt) the umpire removes it from play and puts a new ball into play, all covered by Rule 6.2(c).

• Like 1