World Series

DizRotus

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

It will be interesting with Verlander pitching in LA on Tuesday.  From 2005 - 2014, pitching for, Detroit Tigers, he was "0 for my career" as a hitter, those are his words.  In 2014 he got his first MLB hit.  He's had 2 more.   What will Hinch do if Verlander is pitching well past the mid-point and he comes to bat with 2 outs and runners on base?

Pinch hit for him.

Looks like making the ball more aerodynamic is paying off.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Pinch hit for him.

Looks like making the ball more aerodynamic is paying off.

If what Verlander and other pitchers are saying is true, it doesn't seem to me to be a question of aerodynamics per se.  They argue the new balls are smoother; the cowhide less textured and the seams flatter.  The pitchers claim they're unable to grip the ball in the way they're used to doing.  For some reason, sliders -- whatever they are -- are claimed to be harder to command with the new balls.

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, MLB is not opposed to more offense, i.e., more home runs.  American sports fans are impatient.  We demand scoring.  For each die-hard baseball fan who genuinely enjoys a pitchers' duel, there are hundreds who crave home runs.

Soccer, football to the rest of the world, has been described as long boring periods where occasionally something exciting almost happens.  Is it any wonder it hasn't been embraced by Americans used to immediate and frequent gratification?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, MLB is not opposed to more offense, i.e., more home runs.  American sports fans are impatient.  We demand scoring.  For each die-hard baseball fan who genuinely enjoys a pitchers' duel, there are hundreds who crave home runs.

exactly!

18 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If they're indeed smoother then they wouldn't move as much in flight making them easier to hit as well.

Precisely.  It's harder to impart rotation and less impact from whatever rotation is applied, therefore, easier to hit.  Sort of like that old question, "will it takeoff?".

23 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

If what Verlander and other pitchers are saying is true, it doesn't seem to me to be a question of aerodynamics per se.  They argue the new balls are smoother; the cowhide less textured and the seams flatter.

If Verlander says the ball is different, the ball is different!

It seems to me MLB went through this a number of years ago.  Pitchers were dominant and MLB wanted more offense so they lowered the mound.  It worked.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

If what Verlander and other pitchers are saying is true, it doesn't seem to me to be a question of aerodynamics per se.  They argue the new balls are smoother; the cowhide less textured and the seams flatter.  The pitchers claim they're unable to grip the ball in the way they're used to doing.  For some reason, sliders -- whatever they are -- are claimed to be harder to command with the new balls.

Soccer, football to the rest of the world, has been described as long boring periods where occasionally something exciting almost happens.  Is it any wonder it hasn't been embraced by Americans used to immediate and frequent gratification?

A slider is a somewhat faster version of a curve ball, it moves quicker and down, a curve ball breaks. It's harder to hit. I played baseball for 12 years, I only played two positions, catcher and pitcher. I was probably better at catching, but liked pitching better. I loved baseball, even after football or basketball practice, I would go play baseball. My Dad coached myself and my five brothers, he coached for 25 years. I miss those old days, it was a lot of fun. Pitching was the ultimate psych position.....me against you.

I don't remember the relief pitcher for the Astros, but he came in late last night, a right hander. He had an odd grip on his slider, like he was making the "OK" sign. His thumb and index finger touching, it had plenty of movement.

Whitey Ford threw so much "junk" pitches, that his left arm would hang with his palm facing outward, just the opposite from his right arm. He still hold World Series records.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If he's lights out, you keep him in, especially if Houston's bats are alive.

Even if he is not lights out, considering it’s game six, you leave him in as long as possible…  I have a feeling that the Dodgers will take this one, and we will go to a game seven. I think I can stay up for that one… 

19 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If he's lights out, you keep him in, especially if Houston's bats are alive.

Depends on the score. If they're behind and runners on base, you have to go for the runs and pinch hit for him, no way they leave runners on base to keep their pitcher (who can't hit) in the game. Go for the runs and play for the win.

29 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Depends on the score. If they're behind and runners on base, you have to go for the runs and pinch hit for him, no way they leave runners on base to keep their pitcher (who can't hit) in the game. Go for the runs and play for the win.

If they're behind than Verlander wasn't lights out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Whitey Ford threw so much "junk" pitches, that his left arm would hang with his palm facing outward, just the opposite from his right arm. He still hold World Series records.

I read that Whitey Ford only sweat on half his body, which made him more prone to overheating, but that was offset by all the money he saved on deodorant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m conflicted.  On the one hand I’d like Verlander and the Astros to win tonight.  On the other hand, a game 7 would be a fitting conclusion to this exciting World Series.

Who doesn’t love baseball in November.  Just imagine if the teams were Minnesota and Boston.

Happy Halloween.