4 x K-55M adapter (K-4M): uses?

Droogne

Hey

Somebody proposed to sell me a pair of K-4M adapters. I have not found much info about them, so thats why I'm asking here. I know it is an adapter to put 4x K-55M midrange compression drivers on, which you then can put on a horn. I just dont know which horn, and what the advantages would be. Could I DIY a truely awesome LaScala with it? Or will it only increase the possible SPL and sensitivity?

Greetings

87a2fbd0283287fa70032d665600b668.jpg

Advantages: VERY high output, efficiency and power handling. 

Early K-55-Vs/PD5-VH can safely respond down to 110 Hz and up to 4500+.  Four would have quite high output in the voice range, if the horn were big/long enough.  You might be able to warn 2 neighborhoods of an approaching tornado! 

1 minute ago, John Albright said:

Advantages: VERY high output, efficiency and power handling. 

Early K-55-Vs/PD5-VH can safely respond down to 110 Hz and up to 4500+.  Four would have quite high output in the voice range, if the horn were big/long enough.  You might be able to warn 2 neighborhoods of an approaching tornado! 

Well the guy is offering me to sell the adapters + 8x K-55M drivers... was thinking about building a LaScala pair for PA use (to complement my 2x huge 18" hornloaded subwoofers). This might do the trick ;) would it have any advantages in the home settings? Lower distortion? Higher clarity? etc. Also, would I need to use more tweeters? And what kind of horn would I need? would the regular K-401 do the trick? 

You can't use more than one K-55-M, practically, in a La Scala.  Too little space, too much output.  If the price is right, you have spares and some to sell.  Though not often needed, E-V doesn't make replacement diaphragms for the -M anymore.  There should be some folks out there that need a new or working -M. 

Back in the day when I did live sound, I found two K55V would keep up with four LaScala bass cabinets per side.

The five tweeter MCM 1900 units would not keep up outside, they seemed OK inside though.

While I carried twelve LaScala bass cabinets (out of twenty-four that I built), I never used more than four a side.

Four LaScala per side slam pretty good.

• Like 1

Hahah wow, 12 bins ö! I'm planning my own LaScala DIY build, but I have not found a really detailed build plan, so if you can help me with that would be awesome! Also, is there maybe an 18" LaScala build? If not, what would the lowest crossover point that you can have with the K55M? I have sub that can go up to 300hz, but the crossover point is 400hz normally. Have not decided on buying the K-4M, but good to know about the LaScala bassbin/midrange ratio ;) thanks!

Droogne, one suggest on LS build.  I highly recommend using 1" baltic birch ply or mdg on the outside wall panels to reduce the resonance of those panels.  Klipsch used 1" mdf in the Lascala 2.  I recently built a pair using 1" BB ply everywhere per my friends request (plus 1/16" veneer on inside and out and 1/4" cherry face trim on sides).  Helped reduce the resonance.  They are very heavy.  You will see several comments that the doghouse and back don't need to be thicker because the are braced and have short distances between joints but the two sides don't have any bracing at the termination of the horn at the front. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1-11-2017 at 3:05 AM, Marvel said:

I have some reasonably detailed plans and some build notes from Dennis (djk) that I will post, but probably not until Saturday (I stay away from my pc most evenings).

Bruce

Hey

I have a wood working youth project who are interested in buying the LaScala for me, and I did find good plans. Some better ones could never hurt! Thanks!

On 1-11-2017 at 5:24 PM, longdrive03 said:

Droogne, one suggest on LS build.  I highly recommend using 1" baltic birch ply or mdg on the outside wall panels to reduce the resonance of those panels.  Klipsch used 1" mdf in the Lascala 2.  I recently built a pair using 1" BB ply everywhere per my friends request (plus 1/16" veneer on inside and out and 1/4" cherry face trim on sides).  Helped reduce the resonance.  They are very heavy.  You will see several comments that the doghouse and back don't need to be thicker because the are braced and have short distances between joints but the two sides don't have any bracing at the termination of the horn at the front. 

I will be using 1" multiplex and extra bracing in the horn mouth. 

On 27-10-2017 at 8:50 PM, djk said:

Back in the day when I did live sound, I found two K55V would keep up with four LaScala bass cabinets per side.

The five tweeter MCM 1900 units would not keep up outside, they seemed OK inside though.

While I carried twelve LaScala bass cabinets (out of twenty-four that I built), I never used more than four a side.

Four LaScala per side slam pretty good.

For how many people was that installation? I'm having 6 build and was maybe interested in using them for our neighborhood festival. 

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

You may already have these, and they are in inches, but the measurements were taken from multiple LS (I didn't make the drawing). The notes are from Dennis (djk).

Perhaps they will help.

Bruce

build_instructions_djk.txt

LaScala.pdf

Love the text! REALLY helpfull! Do you know how to adjust the sizes when using 1"?

LaScala plans for the ones being built in 1977 time frame. 

You can adjust these overall dimensions for thicker bass bin BOX plywood, but if you intend to use thicker plywood for the doghouse section then you will need to make major changes to the given dimensions in order to ensure the bass horn lens is sized correctly. 

Don't ask me for the cut list, though, because the factory cut list doesn't exactly help out DIY folks because it is for mass production instead of individual units.

1977LaScalaDim1.jpg

1977LaScalaDim2.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:06 PM, Marvel said:

A single k55 has more output than a LaScala bass bin. The the adapter for four drivers was used on the MWM bass bin systems with multiple bass bins.

Actually, the adapter was used in the MSM unit which was part of the old MCM 1900 system. 

MCM-1900 system: MTM=tweeter unit; MSM=Squawker unit; MSSM=sub-squawker unit; MWM=Woofer unit.

MSM had four-way manifold with K55 drivers feeding into fiberglass mid-range horn.

MSSM was a wooden horn lens/box powered by a cone driver firing through a compression slot...into the wooden horn.  I believe the cone driver was a Cetec 8-inch or 10-inch unit, originally...lots of pics of those old early versions on the internet.

The four-way manifold was one of the early projects Jim Hunter worked on after arriving to work at Klipsch.