Chorus and Cornwalls- to much free time in the sonic world

sonic smith

• Moderators

Welcome, it would probably suck imo.

There in different cabinets because the cabinet is part of the design/components. Why not build whatever cabinet you choose and fill it with correct parts designed for that cabinet ?  I'm no expert but don't see how that would work.

SS,

I agree with dtel, sounds like you might end up chasing your tail a bit.

If it was me and I wanted to build a Cornwall sized cabinet, I would (and did) go with a cabinet based around one of Bob Crite's "Cornscala" designs.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

Bob has taken most, if not all the guess work out of building a speaker that should and will sound great.

I ended up going with Bob's "Style C" and I am extremely happy with their sound.

Front_View.JPG

• Like 1

Chorus 1s or Chorus 2s?

I would not be tearing apart a working pair of Chorus 2s!

As for Chorus 1s, I seem to recall Bob Crites stating somewhere in these forums that he had difficulty telling the difference between his Chorus 1s and Cornwalls.

The Chorus 1 is a nice package.

I have Cornwalls and would prefer them a little taller and narrower (I am NOT complaining).  At 6’5” I sit taller and even standing a higher tweeter sounds better. 

If it is lower bass response you are after you will need to choose a different woofer, and likely extend the port tubes.

I have never used them, but there are design programs that will give you an idea what to expect based on your choices.

BUT! If you can build cabinets you may as well cut to the chase right now and hammer out a JUBE cabinet!

It is where we are all going to wind up, or die trying!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geoff. said:

BUT! If you can build cabinets you may as well cut to the chase right now and hammer out a JUBE cabinet!

It is where we are all going to wind up, or die trying!

geoff may speak some truth here, that is what I actually did. :o

My Jub-likes were a challenge to build, but I am VERY satisfied with what I am hearing as I type this!!!

But my Cornscalas are not too shabby either. :wub:

CS to Jub-like.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sonic smith said:

I've owned most pairs of Klipsch speakers except for the K horns. Currently have a pair of Chorus speakers. Question – what would happen if I put the chorus speaker components in a Cornwall cabinet that I made myself ( i'm a woodworker )

First question is why?

If your cabinets are damaged then if you use the Cornwall style cabinet, give it the volume of the Chorus (or even tune it more optimally for the Klipsch Chorus 1 woofer - use something like woofer tester to get all parameters) then you very well could be very happy.

If you are doing it just to do it and don't understand the correlation between box size, positioning of woofer, front panel breadth and tuning, don't bother unless you just like woodworking.  You'll probably have something that doesn't sound as good but you will convince yourself (your baby can't be ugly) that it sounds very good. :huh:

Are you in the Seattle area? Maybe I can help you unload the Chorus's so you can make room for a set of Cornwall's or Cornscala's... 

If you have Chorus 1's and put the components into a Cornwall cabinet you'd end up with a pretty close copy of a Cornwall II / CP-1 speaker.

I agree though that if you were to do a custom build I'd look into the Cornscala, there's a number of designs and options with higher quality parts.

If you're wanting deeper bass response from the Chorus 1 I believe 7" port tubes is what works best. The Chorus II can be tuned by adding weight to the passive but I can't remember the details off hand.