Klipsch Heresy Height Channel Mod.

Droogne

As I'm slowly building a Heritage Home Theatre I came into a problem.. none of the Heritage speakers is suited to be mounted. As the heresy is the speaker that has the lowest mass, I was wondering if there is any way to make a DIY speaker which uses the heresy mid/high range drivers (K77 and K-55M as they are the same as the ones in the LaScala), but utilises a (much) smaller woofer and cabinet. This to reduce the weight drastically. I would cross them over @80 or 100hz to make this possible. I'm hoping that by doing this I can also reduce the required panel thickness, as it would never have to endure the lower frequencies as the normal heresy would. For crossover I would go active. 

Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, John Albright said:

Like this?  Crossover for a stock Heresy should be 70 to 80 Hz.  Don't want to go smaller.

2009 HT System.JPG

Nah, more like a totally new cabinet with a 6" woofer and really small size cabinet (like max 8" x 1 ft.)  and the horns mounted above it. Crossover would be able to happen as high as 100hz to compensate for the loss in low end due to the small woofer and cabinet. 

2 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

Why do that just find a pair of KG1's and your all set.

Because I want height channels using the same high/mid range drivers as the LaScala. Was maybe even thinking of using the LaScala K-400 (or K-401) for this project. I know it's not completely necessary, but I'm chasing "perfection" so to say.

Not following 100% are you concerned about the weight thus fears of mounting a heresy on the walls? Or do you want to build a custom center for size/looks reasons? If you are worried about the weight, this heresy has bee on my wall since 2004. Neither wall or heresy damaged. I've hit it a few times too with stuff. Solid as a rock.

I'll take a picture form the side so you can see how I mounted it if you like.

59f4d09995060_RoomLeft(Medium).thumb.jpg.c0ddf3c15ed69b5a4e2b3f07049a9b55.jpg

15 hours ago, rplace said:

Not following 100% are you concerned about the weight thus fears of mounting a heresy on the walls? Or do you want to build a custom center for size/looks reasons? If you are worried about the weight, this heresy has bee on my wall since 2004. Neither wall or heresy damaged. I've hit it a few times too with stuff. Solid as a rock.

I'll take a picture form the side so you can see how I mounted it if you like.

59f4d09995060_RoomLeft(Medium).thumb.jpg.c0ddf3c15ed69b5a4e2b3f07049a9b55.jpg

I could mount it like that as you say, but I doubt my rentlord will alow me to hang 4x 25kg speakers on his walls. Does it matter that the are on their sides? And what bracket did you use? The heresy II weighs less, which is why I'm looking for a pair. Was just hoping to make a custom heresy that weighs less AND has the same drivers as the LaScala (which the Heresy II does not). If I go DIY I would also be able to use a K400 horn. 

Edited by Droogne
extra info

16 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you have La Scalas and are going DIY, use a K400 horn and K77 tweeter in a separate enclosure and some form of matching woofers. 

What would you say is a "matching" woofer? Any woofer that could crossover at the same frequency as the original? Best to match the sensitivity I guess? Or doesnt this matter because I'm going active?  And if I do decide to stay passive, what woofer would work with the original xover? 

I have been thinking about the same thing. My thoughts are to use a pair of Faital 8FE200 woofers like Bob Crites does for his CSC-1 center speaker they equal the same sensitivity as the Heresy speaker but change too the K700 mid horn and A-55G mid driver which I am using in my Belle's,  Eliptrac HF horn with B&C DE120 driver also using in my Belle's and I will build a crossover to match closely to the ones that I built for my Belle's. Just might be the Heritage center speaker we are looking for.

6 hours ago, Droogne said:

I could mount it like that as you say, but I doubt my rentlord will alow me to hang 4x 25kg speakers on his walls. Does it matter that the are on their sides? And what bracket did you use? ...

I cut three pieces of 2x4 almost as long as the Heresy is tall. Opened the cabinet back and attached 1 2x4 through back panel into the 2x4. Next I attached the other 2x4s to the wall and ceiling. cut two "end" pieces from plywood with angle I wanted to aim it at your head. Attached those plywood pieces to the ends of the wall/ceiling 2x4s. Now the hard part. Lift the heresy into place up against the angled plywood and put 4 lag bolts through the plywood into the ends of the 2x4 that is attached to the heresy.

So everything is attached to the wall ceiling except on piece that is on the Heresy. Lift into place and attach.

Pretty amazing sound with all heritage speakers. I don't see how it being on its side is an issue. It's basically movie noise, not really critical listening.

I could see the landlord being a problem. Invite him/her over for a movie!

IMG_20171029_120445354.thumb.jpg.1d1810f62ecacbaff68622e5835709b5.jpg

IMG_20171029_120534597.thumb.jpg.87a03e7ea2a518894270219444df1ef9.jpg

IMG_20171029_120611509.thumb.jpg.228af630214ec1d4ac5ef831945ef77d.jpg

• Like 1

On 29-10-2017 at 5:37 PM, rplace said:

Pretty amazing sound with all heritage speakers. I don't see how it being on its side is an issue. It's basically movie noise, not really critical listening.

Did you ever tests it? I'm ready to mount them, but mounting height depends on horizontal or vertical placement.

I could see the landlord being a problem. Invite him/her over for a movie!

I persuaded him to allow the wall mounting! 

IMG_20171029_120445354.thumb.jpg.1d1810f62ecacbaff68622e5835709b5.jpg

I went a little more expensive, but much easier (and adjustable way): PA grade wall mount (35mm) and 35mm screw on adapter (on the heresy). I'll show some pics when I'm done.

About the DIY side of my custom heresy Ive decided to put it off for a while (as the heresies will be plenty good for now). Plan is to make the 3-way heresy into a 2 way with K-510 horn and a Faital HF200 driver. That is the same driver which I'm gonna use in the K-402 (LCR) and a matching horn (also used together with the K-402 in klipsch cinema set ups). Crossover will be active. This way I'll have max timbre match for a height channel. 

Greetings