Do I need a sub? Should I wait?

alperin1

I will be building an HT system soon and I am looking at the KLF30's for the front with KLF C-7 for the center. Should I wait for the new line for the rears? I have an Adcom preamp and will be purchasing the ADCOM GFX 7500 amp. Should I get a Sub or will the 30's do the job.

The room is 13 x 21 with wood panel walls and has a stone fire place with three enties/exits.

I am lucky my wife wants all this good stuff too. She saw a widescreen projections TV and had to have the works.

Darin

The KLF30's are very dynamic, and have a lot of slam in the lower bass and midbass, but do not "plumb the depths" of the lowest frequencies. You may or may not feel that the extra half octave or so you'll hear / feel by adding a sub is worth it. Depends on what type of music you listen to, movies you watch, volume levels you want, and your own personal preferences.

Best this to do is set up the system without the sub, and spend enough time listening to it that you have a good idea of how it sounds. Then, find a dealer that will work with you, and bring a good sub home for the weekend. Get the best sub you think you might be able to afford for this test; a small (say $500 or so) sub is not going to add anything really significant to the sound your 30's are capable of. Listen to it for a couple days, alternating between sub in / sub out on the same passages. You will either find that (a) it's kinda cool, but no way worth the extra $$$, or (B) you can't live without it after you've heard it.

I would not enjoy my system nearly as much without a subwoofer, but I have La Scalas, which have nowhere near the deep bass response of your 30's.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's advice is good. With KLF-30s, you won't miss a sub except during certain movies and then not until you have had one for a while.

You will eventually need one to get the best performance from your home theater.

John

Alperin1,

Go to the home theater forum, the last 20 days or so. I had a questions reference waiting for the new reference series rear speakers. The answer that I received from Klipsch is to wait. In fact, the new RS-7 should be a better match for the 30s than the older S6s, these are Klipsch's words not mine. I'm in the same boat as you, I have the 30s and C-7. I waiting to purchase my rears.

Klipschguy,

I have an original REL Storm. With the La Scalas, it's a really great match. (Is Tom B. around? wink.gif ) Your Cornwalls are a very different animal, and unfortunately I have no idea whether it would work well, or even at all, with those.

This is where a helpful dealer is such a benefit. Bring one home for the weekend and listen to it, with the understanding that you're going to buy SOMETHING, it's only a question of what.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering