Recommended in-ceiling w/ RF-7II/RC-64ii?

bkevind

I don't suppose there is any "matching" ceiling speakers to go with my l/c/r.

I've got one set of in ceiling (it's pretty good RSL C34E - good for the money), but thinking of going with something Klipsch ultra2  for my height / surround (6 speakers)

Would of course prefer to have proper speakers and not in ceilings but it's just not an option in our room.  

I take it back.  I don't think it's worthwhile going for the pricey THX in ceiling, for my space - and likely not the best tonal match.

I also decided to have another isolated listen of the RSL pair I have now.  Man it's just not going to cut it.   Looks like I'll be going for 5800-c ii.  Sweet spot in price and seems it should be a pretty close tonal match to my LCR. In theory anyway.  Mainly I want a closer match than the RSLs provide, too much of a gap there in sound and efficiency.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bkevind said:

I take it back.  I don't think it's worthwhile going for the pricey THX in ceiling, for my space - and likely not the best tonal match.

I also decided to have another isolated listen of the RSL pair I have now.  Man it's just not going to cut it.   Looks like I'll be going for 5800-c ii.  Sweet spot in price and seems it should be a pretty close tonal match to my LCR. In theory anyway.  Mainly I want a closer match than the RSLs provide, too much of a gap there in sound and efficiency.

Think you are spot on. There is decent price, quality, offerings and sound without having to venture into the THX line...all Klipsch.

A good search at the klipsch.com brings you there, of course and for opinions, a search of the HT forum or Architechtural, may yield more. Cool...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, billybob said:

Think you are spot on. There is decent price, quality, offerings and sound without having to venture into the THX line...all Klipsch.

Yeah I have no doubt.  One thing I really like about the Ultra2 stuff is they come completely enclosed.  But definitely not worth the price for my purposes. I can get the Klipsch enclosure that might help a bit, even though it's just thin metal I think.  At least it will be to code then :) Or...I could build some basic backer boxes I suppose.  I don't mind having non Klipsch installed in the ceiling but I want the efficiency and brightness to be similar.  That's the deal breaker for the RSL.  They have a 3/4" soft dome tweeter, and are rated at 88dB SPL 1w/1m.  They sound a bit dull and muted compared to the aluminum tweets in my SVS ultras that are temporary rear surrounds, and the Klipsch up front.  I cranked the gain up on them but still just, no.  The SVS ultra actually works pretty well, perhaps overkill as rear surround, but my wife doesn't mind them there.  The aluminum tweeter is the right amount of bright, and in spite of less rated efficiency than the Klipsch, they get plenty loud and dynamic to match the LCR fine.

So I'll start with 2 pair of the 5800-c II in ceiling and leave the SVS for the time being.  

• Like 1

Do your research and if that is what you want and where you are at with it. Making a decision including the WAF as is called here never a bad thing. Sounds like you are happy for now with your SVS so. The THX line has their place in the scheme of things for some here. If in doubt, some here have much more than my limited experience with the architectural line of Klipsch although, did have the RSA-500 amp and  RW-5802 inwall sub here for a bit.

Not a salesman and it is your $$$...:emotion-21:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I use the ones in my signature for FH and Atmos. http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ickelcrhothc.html  How large is your room and how high is the ceiling?

If the room was closed, it'd be 13.9'x21.5' with 8' ceiling

However it's open to the rest of the house hallway to bedrooms on left front, directly behind is half wall (4' high) (at 21.5' from TV) open to main entrance, and left back open to dining and kitchen (small house - 2000 sq/ft 3bd + office)

11 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

5800 and 5650 work fine for Atmos.  What you are trying to do isn't my favorite idea in general, most any choice is a compromise.  

Yeah I'm S.O.L. to run proper side surrounds and rear surrounds, although I can leave the SVS Ultras as rear surrounds. The rears are a little close together, but work well enough.  Probably work better than in-ceiling would, but may work poorly in tandem with in-ceiling side surrounds.  

I'm still thinking about in-wall side surrounds at a better, lower height.  Or maybe on-wall closer to ceiling.  That area is a main walk way through the house so that's why I probably will just go with in-ceiling.  The left side would be a few feet further left than the right because of the open room.    If I could manage that then I could just have 2 pair of in ceiling for height / atmos effects. 

I ordered 4x CDT-5800-CII.  Will be front height and side surrounds for now.  Might add another pair later for rear height.  I found them cheap enough, with full Klipsch warranty intact so I jumped on them.

I reviewed the possibility of 2 in walls for side surround but it just won't work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

If you want to, let us know how it works out for you. Sometimes and more lately to find out info. on Atmos and HT applications, the speakers in question, are asked about. Thanks:emotion-21:

Sure will.  Not a proper room for any audio, but will give my thoughts.

Probably 2 months out.  Will be upgrading receivers to support 11 channels (LCR, 2Sides, 2Backs, 4 heights), but mainly I need to get off my arse and run the wiring in the attic.  I should use this time to relocate the AVR/Amp to the closet that shares the wall with the TV and stuff.

• Like 1

I used the regular Klipsch surround and thought switching to in-wall would be a compromise.  Now, I wish I had started with in-wall surrounds.  I don't feel they missed a stepped compared to the wall mounted surround over the past year.  You will like the in-wall surrounds.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I used the regular Klipsch surround and thought switching to in-wall would be a compromise.  Now, I wish I had started with in-wall surrounds.  I don't feel they missed a stepped compared to the wall mounted surround over the past year.  You will like the in-wall surrounds.

I wish I could do that for the side surrounds but I took a good hard look at it today and I can't make it happen.  Well I probably could but WAF meter pegged suddenly at that one :D

So the big LCR and sub on the front wall are fine, 6 speakers in the ceiling are fine, and the bookshelf speakers in the back are fine too.  But...no in walls for the side surrounds!  Makes sense, it would be weirdly out of balance for the room to have them where they'd need to be.

Haven't had any side surrounds to date in this house, for that reason.  Just the bookshelf speakers in the back.  So in spite of the so-so configuration ("side surrounds" will be in ceiling) all in all it will be an improved movie experience.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Sure will.  Not a proper room for any audio, but will give my thoughts.

Probably 2 months out.  Will be upgrading receivers to support 11 channels (LCR, 2Sides, 2Backs, 4 heights), but mainly I need to get off my arse and run the wiring in the attic.  I should use this time to relocate the AVR/Amp to the closet that shares the wall with the TV and stuff.

Sounds like a plan. At least you are picking a good time of year to do attic work, based on my attic experiences

down here. Lol :emotion-21:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Sounds like a plan. At least you are picking a good time of year to do attic work, based on my attic experiences

down here. Lol :emotion-21:

Exactly!  Attic here in the Spring/Summer and early Fall is impossibly hot.  Two steps in and I get right back out again.  I think in peak summer it's in the neighborhood of 170 degrees:o

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing the 4 in-ceiling speakers today.  What a PITA!  Also had to run new wire to my existing 2 in-ceiling to replace the cheap lamp-cord that was probably going to burn my house down :D

Haven't properly tested everything out, I also got a new receiver today, the Yamaha Aventage 3070.  I needed the upgrade to process 11 channels, and wanted the upgrade for the DACs and upgraded YPAO over my Yam 860.  

Ran YPAO with height / angle turned on, very cool, and was fairly accurate.  I had to adjust LCR, surround back and the new CDT-5800-CII from "Large" to small x 80Hz.  Seriously, the 5800's can definitely not play as large speakers....  LCR sounds better at 80Hz too, most of time.

Anyway by the time I got done kids are in bed, and the wife too so I didn't blast any good movies to test out atmos.  It's on the to-do list for tomorrow.  Ah but first I need to re-incorporate my outlaw amp, as the rear heights need external amplification.  I wanted to hear the 3070 on it's own and it sounds darn good in my limited time with it.

• Thanks 1

I don't think you'll miss too much going with in-ceiling vs. on-wall surrounds. 

When i added an outboard amp into my system i accidentally wired my front right height speaker as the right surround speaker and it took me a while to even notice.  

• Haha 1