Cap ESR? Or just measure dB loss at speaker terminal?

efzauner

Lots of recommendations to replace 20 year old crossover caps because of both drifting capacitance and increased ESR.   I can measure capacitance easily. ESR is more difficult.  

It is easy to measure the frequency response of the HP or Mid band pass section.  If I measure no loss or a fraction of a dB would this not indicate a low ESR?  

A 0.1 ohm ESR in series with an 8 ohm driver is only 0.1dB down.  Seems trivial to worry about?  

• Like 2

" Seems trivial to worry about?   "

If you read the comments from the knowledgeable here (BEC, others), they point to an ESR of 0.5 as becoming audible.

As a voltage divider 0.5Ω in series with a 6Ω tweeter is about -0.3476dB

I still don't quite understand why someone would not replace old capacitors, when new (very good) capacitors are so inexpensive and easy to replace?  I mean sure, you can spend bundles on some caps, but Dayton 1% Precision Audio Caps are terrific for the money....(and I'm not saying those are the only ones....)  Why wait for the old caps to degrade and fail?

The old capacitors will eventually start leaking all over the board -- just bad news all the way around.

The later axial mylars sound horrible -- they should also be replaced (regardless of how they measure).

Using metalized polypropylenes will require knocking a little off of the midrange output (since the original capacitors were somewhat lossy).

The Dayton capacitors are a good value, but there are better options (right Jim).

• Like 1

http://jupitercondenser.com/product/vt-round-aluminum-foil-wax-and-paper-capacitors/

http://jensencapacitors.com/products/speaker-capacitors/aluminium-foil---paper-in-oil---tinned-copper-leadout.aspx

https://www.v-cap.com/oil-capacitors.php

Some will tell you to not waste your money.  I'll tell you that it was not a waste of mine.  Depending on the setup, money might be better spent elsewhere first.

10 minutes ago, muel said:

The Russian caps were great in the NBS preamp but it would have been hard to not hear the the difference between them and the Duelunds.  That said, if I were to do it again I would have gone with Jupiter.  Sorry that I digress... the OP was about speaker capacitors.   

33425252101_0730131368_k.jpg

On 10/30/2017 at 7:02 PM, Deang said:

The old capacitors will eventually start leaking all over the board -- just bad news all the way around.

The later axial mylars sound horrible -- they should also be replaced (regardless of how they measure).

Using metalized polypropylenes will require knocking a little off of the midrange output (since the original capacitors were somewhat lossy).

The Dayton capacitors are a good value, but there are better options (right Jim).

I can understand electrolytics failing and leaking. But the KLFs have metal film in mid and high sections. What is the lifetime of these?  

" What is the lifetime of these?   "

Indeterminate.

The leads on inexpensive film caps are just just smashed into the ends of the caps after coated with a tin paste.

Better caps have soldered leads, and they last longer.

The old oil-filled caps also fail over lead termination issues.

50 years ago, JBL used stacked-film caps with hand soldered teflon insulated copper wire leads, wax potted in sand-filled paper tubes. I have never seen one of those that has failed.

$_35.JPG

3112backgz4.jpg