Advice on turntables

Harleywood

I'm building a completely new system and looking for feedback on purchasing a turntable. I've looked at the Pro-Ject and Rega tables and really like both. However it seems like the first thing I'll have to do with either of them is upgrade the cartridge. I ran across the U Turn Orbit table today. I can order the custom model with acrylic platter and cue lift, hardwood walnut plinth and Otrofon blue cartridge for $595. Anyone have experience with these tables? All the reviews I've read are good. I'll be pairing it with a new Rotel RA 1570 amp I just bought and a pair of Epic two speakers. Thanks! 

Up grading the cartridge is something that is ongoing and should not dissuade you from getting a decently priced table. 

I've had great luck with the Rega tables I've used and have been saddened to follow the upgrade but that took me away from them. They are a great price performance table with plenty of aftermarket upgrades.

• Like 1

Ok. After much research I decided on the Pro Ject Carbon Debut Espirt. While the UTurn is a nice table and I really liked the solid wood plinth it's lacking in fine tuning features. No adjustable anti skate for one and the tracking force counterweight is not marked and is adjustable only with a set screw as opposed to being threaded. Plus the Pro Ject has a built in speed box which is a plus for me because some of my older 12" singles are spun at 45 rpm.  The Project comes in at $763 with the ortofon blue from the Needle Doctor which is $200 more than the UTurn but with the extra versality of the Pro Ject it seems worth it. 

Don’t forget fixmydual.com. I’ve run a Project Carbon with an Ortofon Blue and a Denon DP-300F with an Ortofon Blue.  I then decided to try a restored Dual 1219 turntable from fixmydual.com with a Shure  M97xE cartridge.  Any guess which turntable is between my Klipsch Jubilees today?  A hint would be that I’ve sold the Denon and the Project.  The Dual is built like a tank.  It’s an idler drive just like the older Thorens tables.  I believe you can get one with a new wooden plinth, dust cover and cartridge for under $600!

On 11/3/2017 at 12:06 AM, Trentster5172 said:

Don’t forget fixmydual.com. I’ve run a Project Carbon with an Ortofon Blue and a Denon DP-300F with an Ortofon Blue.  I then decided to try a restored Dual 1219 turntable from fixmydual.com with a Shure  M97xE cartridge.  Any guess which turntable is between my Klipsch Jubilees today?  A hint would be that I’ve sold the Denon and the Project.  The Dual is built like a tank.  It’s an idler drive just like the older Thorens tables.  I believe you can get one with a new wooden plinth, dust cover and cartridge for under $600!

Yeah those older Duals are top notch. Something about buying used audio equipment just leaves a bad taste in my mouth although I've never heard of the program you mentioned  or I might have considered that route. I think I'll be happy with the Project. Just got my new Rotel amp today. Trashed my entire older Kenwood system, amp, pre amp, tuner, and cassette deck. When I trashed I mean relegated it to the garage. Hooked it up to my old CD changer and table only. Even that 40 year old KW table with a Grado black cartridge sounds good. I can hear the noise now from my direct drive table and cheap cables. It still sounds good but I know it's going to sound better once my Project arrives and I connect it with some Red River RCA''s. Who knows though. I might end up with an old 1200 mk from Technics or a 6300 from Marantz in the future. Right now though I'm buying new to see if I've missed out on any advances in analog technology over the past four decades. Lol