Any regrets buying a curved tv?

kde

Anyone regretting buying a curved tv?  For some reason Samsung's 65" QLED is curved, and the 55" and 75" models are flat.  This will be for a standing unit (not wall mounted).  Worried that this is more of a fad... than something I would want for years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Schu said:

Curved not only is a fad... it WAS a fad because no one is really marketing them much any longer, the manufacturers have moved away from them already.

While you are right in the fact they are going away, that doesn't address the performance . VHS buried BETA back in the day even though Beta was a superior format . 

A curved display is in no way inferior to a flat one but the advantages just don't justify the additional cost IMO :D

30 minutes ago, kde said:

Just went to Samsung's website and saw there is a flat 65" model.  Still interested to learn more about the curved models...

What are you looking at?  I've been researching the 65's in preparation for Black Friday.  I now know what HDR is, what nits are and the difference between an IPS screen and a VA screen.

The Big Thing these days seems to be what they call "No tuner" TV's.  So many people are cutting the cable and going internet only or using a set top box, no tuner needed.  The Vizio M (mid range) and P (premium) TV's are No Tuner.

BTW, agree with @Schu ^^^ curved TV's are all but dead.  Same with 3D as well.

Do you use this site?  They seem very highly regarded for unbiased reviews.

http://www.rtings.com/tv

I am very pleased with my curved Samsung UN65KS9500 65" TV.  Stand mounted and flush against a niche in my family room.  With that said, I actually intended to buy the UN65KS9000 flat but Samsung.com was out of stock and the 9500 was available for $100.00 more.  I got such an incredible deal($1644.00 delivered) through my companie's EPP I did not mind the extra $$$.

If I was to wall mount a TV, it would be a flat model.

Bill

9 hours ago, Gnote said:

While you are right in the fact they are going away, that doesn't address the performance . VHS buried BETA back in the day even though Beta was a superior format . 

A curved display is in no way inferior to a flat one but the advantages just don't justify the additional cost IMO :D

Unfortunately curved displays do limit the viewing angle.  From what I have seen they are great for users who will only be middle or just off middle of the screen but not so good for farther off.  Worse than flat though of course most LEDs are terrible off axis anyway.  To me it just adds to that.

I have a curved 78" Samsung UN78KS9800 that I love, but not necessarily because it is curved. Personally I prefer the look of a curved TV cosmetically over flat and if you sit in the sweet spot and the right viewing distance (which I do) it definitely adds to the experience. It's no different than trying to get the best imaging out of a pair of speakers, sitting in the sweet spot that all of the speakers are directly aimed at is the best seat in the house. It is much the same with a curved tv. However, I love my TV mostly because of the superb Picture Quality.

Therefore, your application should drive your decision. If you sit in the sweet spot at the right viewing distance, curved is the way to go IMO. If you have a room full of people and your watching football from across the room, everyone in the room would have a better viewing experience with a flat tv. And even more importantly, the other specs of the tv (resolution, black levels, motion imaging, etc.) are going to determine your level of satisfaction with the PQ more so that whether the TV is flat or curved.

• Like 1

I have a curved 60" Samsung and like it very much. I have it in a small (12x12) room and bought it because it is pushed into a corner and the shape lends itself well to that use. It is mounted on an articulating wall mount and I can push it much tighter to the wall(s) than the flat screen. The main sitting area is an L shaped couch directly across from the tv. All seat have a clear view. I also think it doesn't reflect lighting nearly as much as the flat screen that I had before it did. No huge benefits but worked well in this scenario. So to answer the question, no regrets.

8 hours ago, mustang guy said:

I never really thought about buying a curved TV, but I am really thinking about a curved computer monitor. They are up to 49" now, but they still only have 1080 scan lines. I want 1440. Here is the 49" Samsung (3840x)1080p https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022584

I will say for computer monitors curved is the way to go. I have a dual 27" Samsung curved setup and love it!

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

we got our 55" Samsung a couple years ago.  not sure what model it is, and of course, I can't find that data.  55" curved 4k UHD and we love it.  in our open plan LR + kitchen area, even from an 'extreme' angle best guess about 30 deg from horizontal, still have a good view, good picture.  PQ is very good.  still very happy with our buy.

It'll eventually faze out like 3D stuff did (what a joke).  They just think they have to have something new to keep people buying TV's to replace the others that break or boards go down since none are built to really list like the old generation.  I don't miss being in that industry anymore and trying to get dealers to (reluctantly) come on board and buy this stuff that most tend to sit on till they're obsolete. 

31 minutes ago, avguytx said:

It'll eventually faze out like 3D stuff did (what a joke).  They just think they have to have something new to keep people buying TV's to replace the others that break or boards go down since none are built to really list like the old generation.  I don't miss being in that industry anymore and trying to get dealers to (reluctantly) come on board and buy this stuff that most tend to sit on till they're obsolete. 

I think you're right - that it may be just a passing fad.  and right again - they have to invent or create new features in an attempt to further attract buyers.  I think very few things last like they did for previous generations.  that designed obsolescence/predictive failure will account for some of the durable goods sales but probably not enough to satisfy the CEO's & stockholders.  need more reasons for the buyers to spend the money.