RF 82 ii vs Forte I

Jachko

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Emile said:

dtel,

Thanks! You just saved me $250! :) Many people told me to replace them, but was hesitant to do so ... especially since I replaced the crossovers on my Cornwall 1's and could hear no difference. So; now I have $250 to spend on some more Klipsch speakers :) 

I was told this by someone I trust with these things, Roy. We were listening to our fortes and I told him they were completely stock including the crossovers which I should fix. He said anything can go bad but in general these are not like the old oil caps, they last much much longer and he wouldn't mess with them. 

I was thinking like this because I had some really old oil can caps in some AA crossovers. One was even leaking a little, always stayed wet looking so I replaced them and heard a huge difference, I was not expecting that much of a difference. To me they sounded ok but apparently they were not, I was hoping for a big difference with the fortes. He told me don't bother, so I'm not, I know he wouldn't think twice about it if there would be an improvement, so they stay original.    

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Emile said:

Jachko,

Wrinkled? If it is just the center cone that has a dent in it, it can usually be fixed. Try putting some masking/duct tape on it and see if you call "pull it out." If that doesn't work, (carefully) use suction from a vacuum cleaner. No clue how the surround could be wrinkled ... if it is, take a closer look because the radiators need to be "sealed" to operate correctly. But ... you can usually find replacements on fleaBay. Just sold a set of radiators (out of my "bad" KG5.2's) for $35. :)

Cheers, Emile

I'm not sure exactly what he means.  In the description he says, "1 passive radiator has a wrinkled as shown."  I've attached the picture he provided.  I've been studying it for a good 20 minutes, but I cannot see what means.  

00F0F_aggIM2wZcHq_1200x900.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jachko said:

1 passive radiator has a wrinkled as shown

Jachko,

It's just the center cone that has been "pushed in." Normally nothing to worry about :) (and you can pull it out with tape or a vacuum cleaner) ... but do check closer when you pick them up.

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

If you have the chance to get Forte 2’s (those are what is pictured!) it is really not an option. 

I had RF-3’s, very similar to the RF-82’s.

Compared to Fortes they were missing something. 

Forte 2’s will make an excellent entry into the world of Klipsch!

Hurry man, before someone else jumps on them.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Emile said:

Give your friend Roy my thanks also :) 

He's you friend also, you just didn't know it, he is the head designer at klipsch. He is charge of anything pro and designed the Forte lll's, plus your forte ll. He's been at it for over 30 years, many under PWK, he was nailed down a few years ago as to what he designed. And after much prodding gave this, and it is from 2007, so you can add a few onto this list. I'm lucky to call him a friend.

the first speaker i worked on was the kp-450. i designed the network for it. the horn, driver and woofers were already done.

then i designed the horns, woofers, network and picked out compression drivers for the kp-600.

then i designed the forte ii and quartet including the first tractrix horns for klipsch. the chorus ii had this mid horn in it.

then i designed the horns for the kg .2 and .5 series. these had the first modified tractrix horns in them

then i designed klipsch's first thx home line.

then i designed the epic series including the horns in those.

i worked on the cinema line and thx speakers for cinema.

oversaw the 70 v line for the commerical line.

oversaw the commercial outdoor line.

then i lose track cause i have designed most of the horns used in the klipsch systems except for a couple used in the multimedia and ipod lines.

the common thread in all these is horns. honestly i am intrigued by horns and wave starting all the way back into the phase plug.

okay boring stuff. sorry.

have a blessed day,

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

okay boring stuff

Boring ... are you crazy?  Absolutely AWESOME! THANK YOU for giving me and thousands/thousands of people the incredible pleasure we get form listening to YOUR incredible sound. THANK YOU! :) 

21 hours ago, Jachko said:

Thanks again for the responses, guys!

@wvu80 That is very interesting info! Thank you! So, $450 is a darn good price it sounds like.

I have been emailing back and forth with the owner of the Fortes and I asked him a few questions about the speakers.  How old they are; if upgrades have been made; who the previous owner was.  This was his response: "These are at the bottom of my to do list right now and high maintenance hand holding isn't on it either." 

So I might be going with the RF 82ii's if I can't get my questions answered in a respectful manner.  

Forte owners, have you upgraded the crossovers or do you like the stock ones just fine?

Can WE have his CL ad or email address so we can hold his hand for just a little bit? Better yet, hook him up with our friend Chuck in Indiana so they can swap spit

Mark

• Moderators

30 minutes ago, Emile said:

Boring ... are you crazy?  Absolutely AWESOME! THANK YOU for giving me and thousands/thousands of people the incredible pleasure we get form listening to YOUR incredible sound. THANK YOU! :) 

ROY not me, all I do is use his designs :blush2: 

That's how he is, very modest, one of his favorite sayings is "eh it's OK", when he says that, it's good.

He loves what he does but does not do well with anyone making a big deal about him. He says it's all for and about PWK, his mentor and good friend.

Roy and Kevin ( Kharmondds who rarely post) has been friends for 30 years, I got to know them through klipsch get togethers. Now we usually all get together at our house, Roys or kevin's about once a month or so, just for fun but it always turns into listening to music and eating. 

After getting to know him outside of the speaker thing, I appreciate him even more now, he's a good guy. And the same thing can easily be said about Kevin, we are lucky to have friends like them, and we have a good time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

These are at the bottom of my to do list right now and high maintenance hand holding isn't on it either.

OK; buyer is an a..hole. And doesn't even know he's got Forte II's instead of I's.  Ignore his stupidity and attitude and just get them!  YES; upgrade the diaphragms for $61!

Cheers, Emile

1 minute ago, Emile said:

OK; buyer is an a..hole. And doesn't even know he's got Forte II's instead of I's.  Ignore his stupidity and attitude and just get them!  YES; upgrade the diaphragms for $61!

Cheers, Emile

Huh? The buyer is an *******? I think the buyer sounds like a decent enough guy, the seller, not so much :lol::lol::lol:

Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Emile said:

Cheers, Emile

I didn't say that, I want the seller's email address or CL ad so we (I) can have some fun with him

Mark

Holy crap--you guys are right.  They are the Forte II's.  Seller actually mentioned something about how the Forte I and II were "essentially the same with differences around the edges," and he doesn't even know which speakers he's got.  

How about I send his email on over to you guys AFTER I buy them.  LOL

• Haha 1