RF 82 ii vs Forte I

Jachko

I just did an image search on google images with a photo the seller provided, and I found the exact photos that he used in the ad at http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649356899-klipsch-forte-ii-in-oiled-oak/.

Needless to say I am very unhappy.  

EDIT: He photoshopped out the US Audio Market logos as well.  

Edited by Jachko

Hijacked pictures including the “wrinkle”?  The fact that he describes a dust cap dent as a “wrinkle” and that he doesn’t know it is a Forte II suggests he may be a scammer who Is out to rob you of your money. 

The other thought is that he doesn’t understand how to successfully flip. Maybe he bought them for $725 on Audio Mart and is flipping them for $450. 

I cant find these on Craigslist. Are they still listed?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RX8 said:

Hijacked pictures including the “wrinkle”?  The fact that he describes a dust cap dent as a “wrinkle” and that he doesn’t know it is a Forte II suggests he may be a scammer who Is out to rob you of your money. 

I'm not ready to label the Seller a scammer but everybody ^^^ is absolutely right to be skeptical and cautious.

@JachkoIf you go to buy them, take a friend, examine them carefully and be prepared to walk away if they don't work properly.

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not ready to label the Seller a scammer but everybody ^^^ is absolutely right to be skeptical and cautious.

@JachkoIf you go to buy them, take a friend, examine them carefully and be prepared to walk away if they don't work properly.

Or ask him to meet you in front of the police station. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Warning!

Sure seems that way, starting with not wanting to answer questions.  Most people with Klipsch speakers are either clueless, but know they are nice speakers and are cordial or love to talk about and know a ton about the speakers.  Never met one talking like this or portraying that attitude.  Beware.

I will approach this situation with caution.  

I just emailed asking him to explain himself, and I will let you guys know when/if he responds.  My only thought is that he claims to be in the middle of a major home reconstruction and that "carting" the speakers out would be a big hassle, so maybe he was too lazy to "cart" them out to even take photos.  

But again, I will approach the situation with caution and if I do end up meeting with him I will bring a friend or two and meet in a public location.

Seems like such an obscure product to scam on, also it was like he didn't even want to sell me them.  

I bought my Belles from an individual who was also doing a home re-model. Oak/cane in damn fine condition driving from KC to Chi-ttown they were sitting In a corner with no way to have a listen. Got them home and quickly recognized something' was amiss - both tweets were blown. Repaired with Crites parts and freshened xovers, as good as new. Always an adventure but nice to know what may be in your path. 

1 hour ago, Jachko said:

Seems like such an obscure product to scam on, also it was like he didn't even want to sell me them.  

A few months back we seemed to have quite a few Klipsch Craigslist scammers popping up. This Craigslist ad doesn’t  match the M.O. though. Those wanted prospective buyers to email them outside of Craigslist, with a likely goal of having someone wire money to them. Not sure what is going on here. 

A suggestion is to contact the seller on Audio Mart. He is located in TN. Did he sell these to a buyer in the Boston area?  If so then you likely have a legit Craigslist seller. If those same Klipsch ended up with his neighbor in TN then you have a Craigslist seller who took random photos off the internet and is pushing them off as his speakers and that is someone you should stay away from.

1 hour ago, Jachko said:

I will approach this situation with caution.  

I just emailed asking him to explain himself, and I will let you guys know when/if he responds. 

There are a LOT of red flags.  You are right to be cautious.

@mustang guy suggested you meet at the police station.  That's also a good idea.  The big drawback to that idea is now I really think you should listen to the speakers before you take them home.  For instance if the tweeters are blown that can easily cost you another $150.

Has the Seller given you his phone number?  I would want to talk with him and get a first hand idea of what he is about. 

+++

My Story:  A couple of years ago I helped a Vietnam veteran who who disabled and had about 100 pairs of speakers and amps in a garage he needed help to sell because he was moving.  This guy was a more than a bit strange and was suspicious of everyone who wanted to buy his 40 year-old Frazier speakers.  He would rant and claim everybody wanted to rip him off, or  he thought people wanted to come out and listen to his speakers for free.  He was very hard to deal with and he would not take pictures of his speakers.  His attitude was that the Buyer should take his word for it, or he wouldn't deal with them.  I took all the pictures and handled the email contacts, which was hundreds.

The point is the Seller in My Story was legit but he had a really bad attitude towards potential Buyers he had never met.  I'll be polite and say he was not comfortable about dealing with the public.

I get that your Seller might be eccentric, but if you can't get a cogent story about why the pictures are appearing in two or three different ads I would pass.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

There are a LOT of red flags.  You are right to be cautious.

True, even if you're clueless about speakers and don't want to get a picture of your speakers and decide to steal a pic, wouldn't you steal a pic of an undamaged speaker if yours are undamaged ?

2 hours ago, Jachko said:

He responded, people!

"Let me know when I have to report to the internet police.

I default to my first assessment, high maintenance hand holding is what you require.

Go elsewhere."

Glad you learned about this guy's "issues" before you went to check them out.

Since then we have been angrily emailing each other back and forth, and I have to say it's been very fun.  

Here is my favorite response he has had.  

"Selling these is at the bottom end of my to do list as I am swamped with other things. Rather than drag mine out of storage I found pics that best represented them. I did not pick a mint set, but rather ratty ones for the only reason that they also have a mashed dustcap like those. Mine however are close to mint with perfect grills and the buyer (anyone but you) would see have been obsessively cared for and actually in far better condition than the ones shown. I edited my ad, feel vindicated, then stop emailing me. But also know before you started your crusade last night I was ready to accept your $400 and move on.

Well done Joan of Arc, well done!"

Strongly considering emailing him from a different email and offering $400, but it would be hard to give my money to such an a-hole.