Playing with active crossovers.

Droogne

Gonna be a proud LaScala clone with 3-way active crossover owner in a few weeks. First parts will arrive this week, in particular the PH2380 horn, the K-55M drivers and the K77 tweeters. Gonna have to wait a few weeks for the bassbin. As I cant wait to play with the active crossover, I was wondering if it would it be possible (and safe) to disconnect the tweeter and squawker of my Chorus II and use the chorus as a bassbin to use with the K55/K77 combo? Hoping it has a  kind of "CornScala"  effect.

Yes, but what you're describing (i.e., not using the K-400 midrange horn, using a Chorus bass bin) will basically require that you measure the frequency response so that you can balance channels, flatten the response, and set delays. 

I recommend something like this calibration microphone: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

...a microphone cable, a microphone stand, and a way to drive your preamplifier with a test sweep.  REW (Room EQ Wizard) is freely available to download to your computer.  A couple of threads that will help you to get started:

I can help with the REW equalization stuff.  All you need so is set up and run sweeps.  Emailing of the resulting measurement file, and return a resulting Xilica configuration file works great (I've done this for other guys to date with good results).

Whoa, thanks! Loved the (first) article you linked! I think I followed most of what you explained, but as I dont have the Mic at the moment I cant do any real tests.. Could I use the Auddyssey (3,5mm jack) mic I got with my marantz? Maybe as a temporary solution to  try out the software? 

On 2-11-2017 at 9:03 PM, Chris A said:

I can help with the REW equalization stuff.  All you need so is set up and run sweeps.  Emailing of the resulting measurement file, and return a resulting Xilica configuration file works great (I've done this for other guys to date with good results).

Hey

Can you also have a look at my 3 new comments about the mics? What would be the bare minimum of quality for the REW mic? I dont mind upgrading in the future to a decent mic, but if I can do with a 30eu (instead of 100) mic then that would come out great. 

Personally, I haven't tried to use those microphones.  I used a Behringer ECM8000, and the calibration, low level software drivers, and mixer were a continual source of problems.  I can't tell you how much time was lost and bad data recorded.  It's worth $70 or 60, most definitely.

I recommend only the UMIK-1 since I've personally used it and it works flawlessly with the ASIO4ALL driver--like a champ.  There may be others out there of the same quality and performance--I just don't know which ones they are.  Perhaps someone else can comment.

Chris

12 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Personally, I haven't tried to use those microphones.  I used a Behringer ECM8000, and the calibration, low level software drivers, and mixer were a continual source of problems.  I can't tell you how much time was lost and bad data recorded.  It's worth $70 or 60, most definitely.

I recommend only the UMIK-1 since I've personally used it and it works flawlessly with the ASIO4ALL driver--like a champ.  There may be others out there of the same quality and performance--I just don't know which ones they are.  Perhaps someone else can comment.

Chris

Ok thanks! I have asked the big local audio store for advice. If they cant reliably recommend a cheaper but effective alternative I'll just buy the UMIK. 100euro is still very doable, particulary if I can know for sure it does what I need it to do.

Understand that the UMIK-1 is not only a microphone...it's also a "mixer" with phantom power and a ADC with self-calibration, all enclosed in one piece--the size of a regular microphone.  The price of the UMIK-1 is below that of other (new) microphones+mixers already by about $70-$100.  The UMIK-1 also comes with an individual calibration file (accessible on-line by serial number stamped on the microphone itself) --something that can cost $100-$200 by itself--or more.  These are huge cost savings already.  Calibrated microphones used to sell for thousands of dollars--without ADC/digital output--only a few years ago.  This is a huge deal in terms of what you're able to do for almost no money at all.  A calibrated microphone and REW freeware replaces what would have cost you $20K (or more) in the early 2000s.

The UMIK-1 is sold by miniDSP (Hong Kong), and they are the price leader in whatever market they seem to choose to be in, including and especially the miniDSP line of digital crossovers.

8 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Understand that the UMIK-1 is not only a microphone...it's also a "mixer" with phantom power and a ADC with self-calibration, all enclosed in one piece--the size of a regular microphone.  The price of the UMIK-1 is below that of other (new) microphones+mixers already by about $70-$100.  The UMIK-1 also comes with an individual calibration file (accessible on-line by serial number stamped on the microphone itself) --something that can cost $100-$200 by itself--or more.  These are huge cost savings already.  Calibrated microphones used to sell for thousands of dollars--without ADC/digital output--only a few years ago.  This is a huge deal in terms of what you're able to do for almost no money at all.  A calibrated microphone and REW freeware replaces what would have cost you $20K (or more) in the early 2000s.

The UMIK-1 is sold by miniDSP (Hong Kong), and they are the price leader in whatever market they seem to choose to be in, including and especially the miniDSP line of digital crossovers.

The UMIK it is! Would never have noticed its value by reading its specs :) 

• 1 month later...

@Chris A

Although I should be studying, I'll be trying out what I proposed here, tomorrow, while waiting for my LaScala bins to come. Got the UMIK today, and did a sweep and tried out what you mentioned in your PEQ guide. Good stuff! (as always). Not sure on all the parameters though. I get the cutoff, but what about the "LF cutoff", "LF rise Start & End" and the "LF Rise Slope", for the moment, I just copied you but I'm not sure what they exactly, or to be more exact, how to use those to get what I want. I played with them, and I see a difference in the target, but still not sure on what to put it.  

11 hours ago, Droogne said:

I get the cutoff, but what about the "LF cutoff", "LF rise Start & End" and the "LF Rise Slope", for the moment, I just copied you but I'm not sure what they exactly, or to be more exact, how to use those to get what I want. I played with them, and I see a difference in the target, but still not sure on what to put it.  

I have put answers to your questions in the "Using REW to Find Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) Settings" thread.

• 1 month later...

@Chris A just bought myself a knock-off Xilica 4080, and will be testing it in the next few days. Might try to actively amp my heresy (or Chorusses LR) which I'm using as a temporary center till my LaScalas get here. Just to get the hang of it (and REW). Other option is to use the passives, reset Auddysey and try to configure everything up myself. I only have free time for now, so I can do both and have loads of time to read up on everything, from guides to threads. what what you recommend to learn the whole process? Will of course be basing my initial try outs on your forum guides.

8 hours ago, babadono said:

Knock off? What dat mean?

Sorry, I meant: OEM Xilica xp4080. Cant be sure yet it's the same quality, but the person selling it was a reputable seller which also offered real Xilica products. That aside, it might be not as good, but I also need a few processor channels for my rears so at this price Is couldn't really get wrong. Will try to test the Quality over this week. Any way to test this?

7 hours ago, Droogne said:

Any way to test this?

There must be but I sure don't know how? I would think if Xilica OEMs these they would be identical Hardware wise and maybe just have special markings that the OEM spec'd and maybe some pre programming. I think Xilica is the OEM for Danley's crossovers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Droogne said:

...what what you recommend to learn the whole process?

The following two threads: 

and

If you're using a MacIntosh, then this thread will help a little:

Chris

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

The following two threads: 

and

If you're using a MacIntosh, then this thread will help a little:

Chris

Ok, I feel kinda embarrassed right now.. I knew those threads and have read through quite a few times.. Just forget they had exactly everything I needed to know. Will try it all out tomorrow!