Record Rant &$#*&!

rplace

Time to vent.

Why is it that some LPs seem to have been played with a rusty nail no matter the condition? I recently purchases a few inches of used LPs in okay visual condition but nothing special. Who Odds and Sods, Police Outlandos, Cars first LP, Smithereens Green Thoughts and some others I can't recall right now. All were 4-5 bucks at a place that is know to sell pretty good used stuff near me. I also picked up a $15 first pressing of Rolling Stones Some Girls.

All the 4 dollar LPs sound great with only the slightest hint of anything at all. The Stones LP sounds like I'm playing sandpaper. 

I've probably bought 15 different copies of this Some Girls many in stunning condition visually. I find the same thing with Boston's debut LP. No matter how many I buy they always suck. I've got reissues, MFSL, CBS 1/2 speed masters, you name it. For the most part the audiophile pressings are clean, but I can't get an original from the 70s worth a darn. Anyone have a similar problem with a album they really like?

If you have a clean pressing of Some Girls or Boston and you don't listen to it PLEASE sell it to me.

Now back to your coffee talk!

• Like 2

Both of those LPs sold tons of copies so you would think some got trashed and some got take care of. Of those I just got Cars/Who/Police why would none of them have problems but the Some Girls did? I know the universe is not out to get me on this...but it sure seems like it.

Was your new copy a rerelease or a used copy? If used how decent?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rplace said:

Both of those LPs sold tons of copies so you would think some got trashed and some got take care of. Of those I just got Cars/Who/Police why would none of them have problems but the Some Girls did? I know the universe is not out to get me on this...but it sure seems like it.

Was your new copy a rerelease or a used copy? If used how decent?

I have the mofi of Some Girls and it is awesome.  I bought it new.  No I will not sell it to you....so there are good copies out there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have the mofi of Some Girls and it is awesome.  I bought it new.  No I will not sell it to you....so there are good copies out there.

I've got the mofi, I think it is a tad cloudy and bass heavy like a lot of the MFSLs. From what I've gathered on my InterWebs research the first pressings with Sterling in the dead wax sound the best. They say it was done a bit "hot" but that is what the Stones wanted back then. FWIW the Friday Music 180g Boston LP is really nice. So is the Simply Vinyl. I'm waiting on the 40th anniversary of it (Mmmmmm, blue) to show up any day. The CBS 1/2 speed is good too. However, I just want a clean original copy of both. I never should have sold all my LPs back in 1986 DAMN you CDs being new and shiny. Look a squirrel!

• Sad 1

Hmmm, maybe I'm not being clear in my quest or frustrations. Rereleases and audiophile versions sound clean - no pops, no surface noise, quiet, very enjoyable. I like the MOFI, I probably listen to it the most. I like just about every MFSL I have. I just don't fine them always to be correct. Good yea, accurate no but still a great experience.

Its the original, first pressings that I've bought on ebay and in person that seem to always be unlistenable. By the sheer law of averages I should have stumbled upon a quiet one by now. Any other LPs from the late 70s don't seem to follow this same pattern. All the rest seem to have winners and losers. With Boston and Some Girls I always roll snake eyes, never Far Away Eyes.

see what I did there :blush:

• Like 1

Didn't the liner notes on Exile on Main Street say something like "this must be played loud"? It's loud R n R and has had the sheet compressed out of it to even get it on the record. I say ask @Chris A if he has "de mastered" this disc. If so get a copy, see how it sounds. Of course it'll be digital.

I've got The Cars and Boston demastered from CDs.  They sound good, and in fact, The Cars eponymous album was one of the best demasterings that I've encountered, in terms of how much improvement occurred: about 6 DB Database points (about 6 dB of dynamic range), which is big.  It's mostly due to restored bass below 100 Hz and reconstructed peaks that were clipped (thus producing a lot of harshness due to the odd harmonics going by almost continuously).

The other albums you mention--I don't own, unfortunately.  I've got a compilation of Rolling Stones hits (Hot Rocks) that I've demastered, but the results weren't anything like the other two albums mentioned above.

If you'd like to hear either of these, shoot me an email with your gmail or Google account name in a PM and I can access you to those demastered flac files.  It's clear that you already own them in multiple formats...so everything's good legally.

Chris

Wow, thanks man! I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds very interesting I have a huge collection of CDs ripped to FLAC on a NAS. I can run them through the solid state end of my system with zero effort. I can with a bit of work put it though my BBX and VRDs where I run the vinyl. I'd love to check them out.

Guessing you take the digital CD and some how break it up into it's components? Sound like you can do it with vinyl too? I have not idea about the legal aspect of things. I could send you two Some Girls and you could keep one thus owning it...but baby steps...yes please. I'll shoot you off a PM.