A vs B and C takes on the winner

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

What do you listen to the most? That is what I would use If I am understanding your question correctly.

I pulled the trigger on the Marantz PM8005, which gets raced against the Yamaha A-S1000. I want to let them slug it out in a sound quality match. The winner gets to take on the Luxman R115. All of this it @willland 's fault, just sayn'. He said that the best sounding SS receiver he has had was the Luxman R117, then said the best sounding amp that he's had was the Yamaha A-S1000. Now that I own both, I agree why he said that: they do sound great. Since sound is about as subjective as which is better, Blonde, Brunette or Redhead, I thought it best to get them all, and since so many things can influence judgement, I thought it best to get them all three in bed together, at the same time.

The R115 has the same build quality as the R117, just less watts.  The three have close enough wattage to make it a fair fight. 

I want to eliminate any variables such as different speakers or multiple musics sources, speaker spread / location and such. I want to be able to listen to them by switching back and forth while blindfolded to hear the quality differences. 

Double blind is not the correct test for this type of analysis... frankly. I don't really understand the need by so many to make the DB test as the faux benchmark for sonic comparisons.

What double blind tests is the ability of the user to accurately identify and match a given source signature... not whether or not that source is superior.

All this talk about not being able to SUBJECTIVELY select a superior sonic quality merely because one can see where that source is originating or whether or not that source costs more than the other comparative elements is in fact false. During a critical analysis the stronger effect is actually be MORE CRITICAL of the origin that might have a lower cost to performance ratio.

But test it however you want.

5 hours ago, Schu said:

What double blind tests is the ability of the user to accurately identify and match a given source signature... not whether or not that source is superior.

?

I'm not trying to be able to say which one is Coke and which one is Pepsi, I'm trying to hear which one sounds better. How many times have you thought something sounds great, until you AB it to something that sounds better? 

Again, it's not about money or looks, it's about which sounds better. If I were to use two pair of the same type of speaker, what's to say that I make a choice of the power source that I thought sounded better, but was wrong. It could have actually due to one pair of speakers needed refreshed or one pair of speakers had a better location in the room.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

All of this it @willland 's fault, just sayn'.

I stand accused and "somewhat" guilty of the charges.:P

6 hours ago, Schu said:

But test it however you want.

I think he really just enjoys the process and not putting too much credence on which piece "wins".

By the way, which test pair/pairs of speakers get the honor?

Bill

• Like 1

I would do the test with my most common source.  If A/B'ing in someone's home, the phone is OK.  Try something like Pandora.  If mp3's sound good, better recordings will be OK.  Forget how high a spl  is for testing.  My normal listening level is is 70-75 db with peak/trough of 87/55.

Sure the spirited high level stuff is fine but, it is not were you will be 98% of the time.  I am almost to he point of not running any speaker or sub hot.  I don't want what was not there.

1 hour ago, willland said:

I stand accused and "somewhat" guilty of the charges.:P

I am enjoying the Luxmans. I have put out a few extra jobs in the shop to be able to swing these. Now I want to AB them.

1 hour ago, willland said:

By the way, which test pair/pairs of speakers get the honor?

That's what I am trying to work out. I have 2 pair of RB35, but they sound a little different than one another and my second pair of Chorus Ii are not easy to get down from where they live, so for many reasons I want to use one pair of speakers to AB both amps without switching wires and such.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

Try something like Pandora.  If mp3's sound good, better recordings will be OK.  Forget how high a spl  is for testing.

i haven't been able to enjoy music from MP3 or my computer files. I must be doing something wrong, but when I do, it seems to be missing details, vs CDs or vinyl.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

Forget how high a spl  is for testing.  My normal listening level is is 70-75 db with peak/trough of 87/55.

This ^

I am looking for quality. 

Thanks for the advice, keep them coming. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Schu said:

Double blind is not the correct test for this type of analysis... frankly. I don't really understand the need by so many to make the DB test as the faux benchmark for sonic comparisons.

I know I'm being picky, so apologies in advance.

Technically @Woofers and Tweeters is not doing a DOUBLE-blind test, he is doing a blind test by simply shutting his eyes.  It's very subjective, just as you said.  For a double-blind test a second person would switch the gear so the listener would not know which gear was in play.

I am with you Schu, these listening tests are more difficult to do, especially in these days of AVR's which have all the electronic filtering in them.  That alters the audio characteristics dramatically IMO.  In the old days of receivers you just set everything to FLAT and then compared A to B.  It's not that simple any more, there are too many variables.

It's so complex that now I don't even bother to try to figure it out.  I just try to put in equipment I like then tweak it to my preferences.  If it sounds good, it is good.

This is what I use to connect multiple amps to one pair of speakers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7SEQ7G

It completely disconnects the every amp (or receiver) except for one (not all speaker selectors do this so don't try to reverse function a speaker switch box).  

You can easily move your source connection to each amp.

For me, I would select each one for extended periods of listening.  Take notes about each one, the sound, how the music "feels"... and set the notes aside to start on the next power source.  Each session play a lot of the same music you know and love.   After a week or two or more go over your notes to review.  While one might seem to "sound" better another one might make you "feel" better.  It seems kind of flaky to me as I write this but isn't how it makes you FEEL what it's all about?

I'd also consider going through this multiple times... some with everything flat and then other times I'd adjust tone controls however I felt and make note of both experiences.  

To me, this is all just another part of the fun.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, muel said:

Hi muel,

"Beginner" question ... Know these types of switches work with SS amps, but can I use this with a tube amp also? Have read that tube amps HAVE TO BE CONNECTED or :(  Do not know if tube amps "blow" if they loose their speaker connection. :)

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, muel said:

^Yes Sir that is what he needs if he wants to switch multiple amps quickly. Just feed the same input signal to all AUTs (Amplifier Under Test) then select which is routed to the speakers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Emile said:

Hi muel,

"Beginner" question ... Know these types of switches work with SS amps, but can I use this with a tube amp also? Have read that tube amps HAVE TO BE CONNECTED or :(  Do not know if tube amps "blow" if they loose their speaker connection. :)

Cheers, Emile

Be sure you have speakers attached to any tube amp that is powered on.  I have used both tube and SS amps switched this way but you better be sure you will never make the mistake!

I have the switch labeled so I'm sure which amp is connected to the speakers.  Also, I have only one amp power cord plugged in at a time so I will never accidentally leave a 2nd one on by mistake.  I label the power cords too so I don't get them mixed up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, muel said:

Be sure you have speakers attached to any tube amp that is powered on.  I have used both tube and SS amps switched this way but you better be sure you will never make the mistake!

Not sure :) Do I have to power off the tube amp before I disconnect ... or can I leave it on with "no load?" Thanks :) 

• Like 1