where have all the good guys gone ?

boxerjake

25 years ago we had quite the small klipsch forum family going here ....

Just wonder what ever happened to guys like   :   Moon ... Fini .... Kelly .... Dean g .... Craig from Nosvalves ,  B4 there was a NOS valves .... even our old French Canadian buddy Jean franchise  lessard from the old magaquest site ??

How about out first forum moderator : Trey cannon or Amy

6 hours ago, boxerjake said:

Just wonder what ever happened to guys like   :   Moon ... Fini .... Kelly .... Dean g .... Craig from Nosvalves ,  B4 there was a NOS valves .... even our old French Canadian buddy Jean franchise  lessard from the old magaquest site ??

How about out first forum moderator : Trey cannon or Amy

DeanG and Craig pop in every once in a while.  Amy left the company to pursue another career but posted a few weeks ago around her birthday.  Not too sure when others have posted recently if they even have.

Bill

• Moderators

Fini is on facebook more than anything (I hear), Moon also I think, Trey is just usually busy, still works with klipsch in Indy. But you're right many have moved on or just busy, stuff changes sometimes. 

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Fini is on facebook more than anything (I hear), Moon also I think, Trey is just usually busy, still works with klipsch in Indy. But you're right many have moved on or just busy, stuff changes sometimes. 

Ahhh .... the good old days !  man there were some nasty battles on this forum back in the day , loads of drama ..lol

were you around when moon set off a fire storm on the AVS forum , then their members came over here to battle back ??

We had a secret sub forum section to piss on each other that was a invite only , hidden from sight of normal forum members ... funny as hell

• Moderators

I wasn't on the AVS forum much so I don't remember, but I do remember some came here, it was like one big forum almost with the same topics going on at the same time and many of the same people.

I don't think it is unique to the Klipsch forum. Back In the late 90s early 2000 a good chunk of the population was still figuring out what the Internet was. Virtually everyone would have been reading and writing on there computer in there home at a desk or table, maybe work. Hard to believe given how connected we are at any moment just 17 years later or so...Oh I think I have time to check my Instagram account while the light is red...maybe somebody thinks I'm special....

The ability to talk with people about such hot/extreme/volatile/divisive topics as "speaker wire" making a difference or not was not very prevalent in most peoples circle of our friends pre-Internet. Because nobody else we knew cared that much about good sound. THEN finding out that there were actually people who knew things and could back it up and that perhaps you actually did not know everything there was to know in the world of sound - Earth Shattering to some. Imagine that, you can actually learn something form others. Shocker! Like the entire world of Jazz out there (Thanks Allan Songer). Or there were wonderful people that would do anything for a stranger (Thanks GaryMD). What about a symphonic score of music not just a page of notes (Thanks LarryC).

Those fights were inevitable because some people were close minded and fought back about what-ever. Others delighted in pushing their buttons. Others still enjoyed the show and egged each side on in PMs. Yea sounds like a family to me.

I saw the same things on home brewing forums and bicycle forums as here. Somethings got nasty, some got personal, some got their feeling hurt. Eventually most cooled down, some never did see the other guys side. Those same on-line communities have dried up for the most part. I've seen many posts about where is this guy or that guy or how come nobody comes around anymore. And remember the good ole days?

I feel it is because all those little groups that believed what they believed found some tiny corner of the Internet who felt just like they did and now they sit in a collective circle stroking each others...er, ego waiting for the like button to be clicked in order to strengthen their beliefs not question why they are who they are and how they came to be that way. Self reflection is hard, some don't want to hear their combo of integrated amp and hand me down speakers could be improved with X and Y. Others think I spend $500 on this cable and I alone can hear the difference.

Spoiler alert I'm not talking about audio equipment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2017 at 10:43 PM, boxerjake said:

No we didn't... :D

I believe the forums was started in early 2001, maybe a little before that.

We've lost a few friends from their passing, some just got pissed and left. Others are pursuing different hobbies and/or careers, so they don't drop by as often.

Bruce

• Like 2

Hello. My name is Dan and I am in the Dallas area.  I am relatively new at this forum. I would like to be a "new" good guy.

I started reading this forum over a year ago as well as other forums for advice on audio equipment.  In 2014, following a familial tragedy, I decided to return to audio interests like I used to have three decades before in college.

I acquired a Marantz 2270 from a long road trip to OK and sold it after a year because I didn't know how to improve it. Boy did I sure miss it.  Shortly after getting rid of a Yamaha A-S801, I acquired a totally rebuilt Marantz 4400 locally.  Now that is an awesome piece of SS equipment.  I also acquired a pair of Forte I's in 2014 and sold them this year because I finally moved up to Forte II's. I have since replaced the crossovers, despite failing to improve the weather worn cabinet veneers from poor previous ownership.  They do sound awesome, though.  In addition, I couldn't help myself and bought a used Yamaha A-S2100.  I recently broke the power switch and use the indented/cracked surface to "flip" it on/off.

Now I am torn between buying new RF-7 III's, RF-7 II's or new Forte III's (neither of which I can afford at this time). But before that, I'll be waiting on pins and needles on the final cost of repair for the Yamaha.

I apologize for the wordiness.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DUROCKER said:

Hello. My name is Dan and I am in the Dallas area.  I am relatively new at this forum. I would like to be a "new" good guy.

I started reading this forum over a year ago as well as other forums for advice on audio equipment.  In 2014, following a familial tragedy, I decided to return to audio interests like I used to have three decades before in college.

I acquired a Marantz 2270 from a long road trip to OK and sold it after a year because I didn't know how to improve it. Boy did I sure miss it.  Shortly after getting rid of a Yamaha A-S801, I acquired a totally rebuilt Marantz 4400 locally.  Now that is an awesome piece of SS equipment.  I also acquired a pair of Forte I's in 2014 and sold them this year because I finally moved up to Forte II's. I have since replaced the crossovers, despite failing to improve the weather worn cabinet veneers from poor previous ownership.  They do sound awesome, though.  In addition, I couldn't help myself and bought a used Yamaha A-S2100.  I recently broke the power switch and use the indented/cracked surface to "flip" it on/off.

Now I am torn between buying new RF-7 III's, RF-7 II's or new Forte III's (neither of which I can afford at this time). But before that, I'll be waiting on pins and needles on the final cost of repair for the Yamaha.

I apologize for the wordiness.

Welcome Dan, quite a few members from the DFW area. Some nice equipment you have there.

• Like 1