where have all the good guys gone ?

boxerjake

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 8:51 PM, oldtimer said:

Sorry for not being too wordy.

He can be when he wants to be.  Been known to express six or seven syllables in the same word. Why he can even count to 21 without dropping his pants.

To the subject at hand. Been here at least a dozen years, which is equivalent in time to living through all of grammar school and high school.

Think of all the people coming-and-going in your life within that the span of what happened through that 20 years (Mind Your Math! Young Master Marty. Math!  Now stay awake you little pissant!)

In other words, it's normal that many would come and go. It's a hobby after all.

My profile tells me that I joined in 2002, but I think it was REALLY a year or two before that.  A number of the "regulars" from those early days are no longer even alive.  I spent more years heavily INACTIVE than active, simply because I was on active duty for a number of them and just stopped in on a very seldom basis (Dec 2004-March 207...in the desert; March 2009-August 2012; and my current job kept me busy as hell for the first year or so before I could actually get active again: October 2012-2014). 

A number of the "regulars" from back then just "lurk" without posting very often, though.  When you have seen the same questions/concerns crop up over and over each year, you just tend to get kind of TIRED of giving the same answer over and over....it is what it is.

The forum has been a relatively tight-knit group of people more often than not over the years and many have given of themselves to aid others who needed "something"...something you just don't really see on the internet very often in a forum.

So, as long as I am able to get in and out of this "Klipsch Joint" I will...I spend far more time reading than posting, though!...especially compared to my early days in here!

On 11/4/2017 at 4:27 AM, rplace said:

I saw the same things on home brewing forums and bicycle forums as here. Somethings got nasty, some got personal, some got their feeling hurt. Eventually most cooled down, some never did see the other guys side. Those same on-line communities have dried up for the most part. I've seen many posts about where is this guy or that guy or how come nobody comes around anymore. And remember the good ole days?

I feel it is because all those little groups that believed what they believed found some tiny corner of the Internet who felt just like they did and now they sit in a collective circle stroking each others...er, ego waiting for the like button to be clicked in order to strengthen their beliefs not question why they are who they are and how they came to be that way. Self reflection is hard, some don't want to hear their combo of integrated amp and hand me down speakers could be improved with X and Y. Others think I spend $500 on this cable and I alone can hear the difference.

Most perceptive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what's funny is I've got a Jean François  Lessard  6SN7 SRPP pre-amp for sale in the garage section and no one on the board seems to know about Jeff or his time spent here on the forum .

Time do change ... even the magnaquest site is gone , all of JFL amazing amps were plastered all over that site .

Not only is this an incredible pre-amp ... but it is also serial #001 and that ,  you can't find anywhere else .

13 minutes ago, boxerjake said:

what's funny is I've got a Jean François  Lessard  6SN7 SRPP pre-amp for sale in the garage section and no one on the board seems to know about Jeff or his time spent here on the forum .

Time do change ... even the magnaquest site is gone , all of JFL amazing amps were plastered all over that site .

Not only is this an incredible pre-amp ... but it is also serial #001 and that ,  you can't find anywhere else .

I know about his designs and if I wasn't beginning my slow exit from tubes I would have already been in touch. As I say this I now ask - you don't have one his 2a3 push pulls do you?

Back in the day - I learned things from others here - I grew from opinions and perspectives offered up on some really interesting subjects.  Klipsch did not understand that.  Klipsch saw what was bad and threw their loyal 'community' baby out with the bath water.  Klipsch squelched free dialogue on the assumption that users were too dumb to decide for themselves the value of that dialogue.  I visit here and respond when there's something of interest.  Doesn't happen often.  The place is controversially dead and frankly boring........... but quite pacified.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richieb said:

I know about his designs and if I wasn't beginning my slow exit from tubes I would have already been in touch. As I say this I now ask - you don't have one his 2a3 push pulls do you?

No .. but down in the garage sale I just sold off all the magnaquest transformers and grit chokes to build his Horus 300b .. as well as 2 walnut chassis that match my pre-amp , ear marked for the 300b project .  Had all the parts to build , had no time to do it :( 

This is a picture Jeff sent me when he was burning in the pre-amp when he still lived in quebec ... don't you love the home made interconnect ? Canar G-6 Guitar cable with cardas ends , I must have built a dozen pairs of those over the years ... 128 strand OFC doesn't get any better and at a 50th the cost of brand name .

preamp_burnin.jpg

On 12/1/2017 at 12:19 PM, oscarsear said:

Back in the day - I learned things from others here - I grew from opinions and perspectives offered up on some really interesting subjects.  Klipsch did not understand that.  Klipsch saw what was bad and threw their loyal 'community' baby out with the bath water.  Klipsch squelched free dialogue on the assumption that users were too dumb to decide for themselves the value of that dialogue.  I visit here and respond when there's something of interest.  Doesn't happen often.  The place is controversially dead and frankly boring........... but quite pacified.  

Sign of the times.  Early on the noise is used to gather folks.  Later it becomes a liability as broader opinions on the forums join.  Then it becomes offensive.  For some reason it is getting harder and harder to voice opinions though those differing opinions were what we learned from.  Though I will say there did need to be a referee around sometimes :unsure:

Just reminds me of the world in general these days.