First Impressions of The Three

Youthman

• Moderators

I stopped by Magnolia in Best Buy this morning and as I was walking through their demo area, to my surprise, they had The Three setup.  I was eager to hear how this portable system sounded as it seems to have received good reviews.

I found the controls to be super intuitive with only a power switch, a source knob and a volume know.  On the top, I spun the source wheel to change it to bluetooth, pulled out my iPhone and enabled bluetooth.  Immediately, "The Three" showed on my phone as an available device to connect to and had no trouble connecting.

I ran through several songs on Spotify and found the vocals, guitar, & piano to be very nice.  For kicks, I fed it some Tadashi (Christian Hip Hop) and KB and although it didn't have a lot of bottom end, it handled it pretty well. 

I played "Chandalier - Piano Version" and cranked it up all the way since there isn't any bass and it sounded fantastic!  Crystal clear highs and midrange was great. 

Overall I was really impressed with the sound quality from it.  No you aren't going to get a huge amount of bass but it does have a nice, full sound to it.

I had considered The Three for my office setup but ended up going with a Harman Kardon HK3380 and a pair of RB-61 II. 

It looks super classy with the gold knobs and switches, and being able to connect via bluetooth or wifi is pretty sweet!

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting; I just got mine, and it sounded really "muffled" and "stuffy". Wondering if there is any store near the Tacoma WA area that I can hear a demo to see if mine is defective. It almost sounded like it has blown twitter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
7 hours ago, WMcD said:

I think the muddy effect is because there are no horns.  A Klipsch product with no horns.  What a shame.

WMcD

Yes indeed.  However, the market apparently wants these personal size "speakers."   Kitchen counter audio systems.  They did/do make asome  I'm curious as to why anyone would expect something the size of the classic Tivoli Radio to produce sounds approaching the likes of something from the Heritage speaker line.

Didn't Paul say something about his theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change?  

The horn based Stadium countertop speaker did sound pretty incredible.

Travis

• 1 year later...

Bill the newbee here.

Thanks for having me, had to see what forums said about this little rocket music box!

Got my The Three about a week ago, really musical!

I run 24bit stuff from Tidal through my modified Little Bear b4-x

dual mono balanced portable headphone amp.

I modified the b4-x and run the Burson V5i-D op-amp pair (Supreme Sound).

I run the signal into a Fiio DAC with balanced Fiio in-ear headphones when I'm out and about.

Any way, the Klipsch The Three series II GREAT product!

Wicked easy to set up/ use/ a pleasure to my 65 years old 2 channel audiophile ears!

Over the Memorial Day Holiday I played "My Rig" all weekend!

Some awesome Dolly Parton Patriotic tunes and "The Ballad of the Green Beret" was coming

from my living room all over the neighborhood!

Take care/ stay healthy!

Bill in Boston