Bass Causing Low note Saxaphone Rattle.

JJkizak

Very rarely I will pick up listening to slow jazz a long bass note causing the lower saxophone notes to rattle or sync to the bass. This happens on the FM HD tuner only.

What causes this? It does seem to be consistent with a particular clip.

JJK

That sounds like a particular resonant frequency in that room.  In HT where we blast bass to 110db+ we often spend time with test tones to identify the frequencies that rattle objects or walls to try and damp them.  Your issue happens in all rooms especially ones with hard floors.  If u use a sub decoupling from the floor may help.  Simply place it on a rubber pad or even an entry mat.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think of anything in the FM chain that would be responsible for that. 

Can you describe the rattling a little more?  I know it syncs with a bass note, but is it, itself in the bass, or is it higher?

If it shows up (later) when you are listening to a disc, then it might be:

• A room or cabinet resonance, as RoboKlipsch said.  We had to put a brace under a book shelf that resonated.  Before we fixed it, it sounded like a giant giving a raspberry, with a little room shuttering in the background.
  • If higher in pitch, a bad reed.
  • I've heard a sort of rapid flopping sound in the extreme bass, once in a while.  It didn't come from my Khorns, but the subwoofer, maybe.

I would suggest running a frequency sweep off a Youtube vid or other source if you have one.  That will help you isolate the buzz to the exact speaker the sound is coming from.

I suspect a dust cap on your woofer where it has become partially unglued.  It may look tight but some careful testing with a thin blade might help you lift the part of the cap that is now loose.  If this is what it is, it is easily repaired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I would suggest running a frequency sweep off a Youtube vid or other source if you have one.  That will help you isolate the buzz to the exact speaker the sound is coming from.

But be sure to turn the volume down above 250 Hz.  A full range sweep is a good way to blow a tweeter, or perhaps a midrange.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, garyrc said:

But be sure to turn the volume down above 250 Hz.  A full range sweep is a good way to blow a tweeter, or perhaps a midrange.

Prudent advice.

There are also some sub sweeps which I think go into the LF range of the woofers.  If it's a loose woofer dust cap as I suspect then a full range sweep is not needed.