Birch LaScala's

boxerjake

On Kijiji Edmonton area for $1400.00 Canadian which is closer to $1200.00 USD

Birch cabinets finished in tung oil , 9.5 out of ten ... light paint flaking on one mid horn as seen in the pic's .

Custom Cardas 5 way binding posts with litz wire ..

Also have a pair of Altec lansing 511B horns if you wanna mod

TUNG-OIL SCALA 006.bmp

For our new friend in England.

https://www.mylands.com/pure-tung-oil-4823

But I'd think you have the equivalent of Home Depot or Loews -- big box home improvement stores with paint departments.

Often what is sold as Tung oil in the USA (and maybe elsewhere) actually has additives making it a bit harder, dry faster, and easier to apply.  There is "pure tung oil" and "Tung Oil Finish."  The latter usually has additives.  (Just to be informed on matters.)

Pure Tung leaves a finish which is a bit rubbery but it is a classic.   If you lay it on too thick it will alligator or crinkle. 

Let me suggest you talk with Mylands to determine what they recommend, particularly if you want to avoid change in color of the raw birch. 

I am a big fan of wipe on finishes, such as Tung.  There are many wipe on finishes which are called varnish or oil.  I see Mylands has Danish Oil.  My favorite in Minwax Wipe On Poly.  I believe in new technology over the old.   Others will disagree.

I always give the same advice.  Clean the wood with no-scratch Scotch-Brite or 220 or 320 sandpaper on a block.  Remove any dust with a vacuum,  tack rag, Swiffer, or batting with a cloth.

Wipe on a coat with a patch of cloth (I've used paper towel) and expect the bare wood to drink it up like a sponge.  But wipe it off enough to avoid drips and sags.   Let dry overnight and scuff with a non-scratch Scotch-Brite or 320 sand paper on a block. Clean dust. Wipe on another coat.  Let dry over night.  Repeat.  

About three coats will do a good job.  But depending the product used it might take five applications. 

You can get a marvelous result by investing a half-hour an evening for five days.  But you can't get similar results in several hours in a single evening.

If you have doubts, first work on the bottom hatch.

Happy Guy Fawkes Day.  "A penny for the Guy."

WMcD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gaggs said:

hi, i also have a birch pair of la scalas and would like to protect them. here in england i have no idea what tung oil is, does anyone know an equivalent oil i can use?

Tung has been around for a looooooong time ...  These just have one coat , I wanted to put something on the bare wood so it wouldn't dry out  , but also something I could get back off if I wanted to , I live in northern alberta where its pretty cold and very dry in the winter months .. i've actually got a pair of black k-horns that have some grain splitting on the top hat sections due to just that .

Oil is simple and easy for the DIY crowd or those with limited access to proper equipment .... I worked for 30 years as an autobody refinisher at a GM dealership where I had unlimited access to a $150k  Alpo Rotocab down draft paint chamber ,  on weekends and evenings I use to spray lacquer  for a local cabinet shop , I'm sure I've done 1000  or more complete kitchens ,  in return I got unlimited access to a million dollars in wood working equipment .

If you look at my other thread with the Belle for sale , there's a pic on that thread of a pair of my birch k-horns spray stained with an alcohol stain and then one coat of lacquer sealer and one coat of 30% autolaq which is a pre-catalyzed lacquer .. not a spec of dust , dirt of lint in the finish , that's the bonus of access to a proper spray booth .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moray james said:

these cabinets have had a layer of stain probably light walnut wiped on prior to the oil or the stain may have been mixed into the oil, definitely not raw birch. They look to be in very good condition. I hope that you enjoy them.

I'm guessing the cow dung in Calgary clouds the comprehension of the english language ... for the rest of us " finished " means the top coat , or the protective layer ... the last thing applied.

32 minutes ago, boxerjake said:

I'm guessing the cow dung in Calgary clouds the comprehension of the english language ... for the rest of us " finished " means the top coat , or the protective layer ... the last thing applied.

Dont feel bad - earlier today it was inferred that due to my locale I am a rube. Wear your dung proudly , hold your head high ---- 

6 hours ago, boxerjake said:

why is pointing out that the loudspeaker cabinets have had a stain applied to the veneer a problem for you? I referred to them not being raw birch because raw birch has a different appearance, taking on a very different colour (patina) over time than these stained cabinets do when finished and these will never look like raw birch.

• 3 weeks later...