Yamaha RX-A3070 Aventage

mlalla

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha RX-A3070 Aventage? I was thinking of purchasing one and pairing it with a Klipsch home theater speaker package. Any idea how much the RP-280 5.1.4 DOLBY ATMOS® SYSTEM Black (# sys-rp280514-black) cost? It must be pretty expensive since they don't show a price. I will probably pick up the RP-280 HOME THEATER SYSTEM Ebony (# sys-rp280-ebony)RP-280 HOME THEATER SYSTEM Ebony (# sys-rp280-ebony).

Edited by mlalla

mlalla,

Welcome to the forum.

Though I have no experience with the Yamaha RX-A3070 I have heard nothing but great things about it.  Plenty of power for most HT systems, highly regarded auto EQ/setup, great punch and detail, with all the modern bells and whistles.  Yamaha is pretty known for being reliable also.

Bill

• Like 1

I was wondering where I would find a price for this system? 
http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-dolby-atmos-home-theater-systems?model=rp-280-5-1-4-dolby-atmos

I will probably purchase this one and will have to add additional speakers to create the Atmos system above.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/home-theater-systems-reference-premiere?model=rp-280

I have seen this system at Crutchfield for less than at Amazon.  

I have the Yamaha for the past few months and it is outstanding! I'm a novice but I have a pair of RP280FAs up front with the RP450C in between; pair of RP280FAs for surrounds; SVS PB2000 for sub; Emotiva BX-A300 Power Amp running the front speakers. All I can say is WOWSKER!! Just saw the R26FAs on sale and am thinking of purchasing a pair for the back surrounds then I will have a bonafide 11.1.4. All that's left after that is the 2nd sub. quasi hijack of thread: i've read that rears and surrounds are not important to timbre match the front soundstage and if true, any opinions on running the R26FAs as the rear surrounds? Before I lost my mind with this setup, I tried the soundbar route on a few occasions but got tired of compromising! :-)

Edited by nubee
misspelling
  • Like 2

don't have the 3070-but have the 3060 ( don't think there is that much of a difference). hooked up to a 7.1.4 system-RP280,450c and RS62II sides and back. 5800's for in-ceiling. I think its a great receiver and does a nice job on Atmos-DTS-x, movie enhanced is good too. I don't think you will have any regrets-especial if you can get a good deal on it. 

• Like 1

My 3070 is ordered and coming next week to replace my 860.  860 is fine (especially with an external amp) but I want to run 11 channels, and I want the TOTL Yamaha for the best DACs and YPAO.

If you dare to Ebay you'll find several sellers hawking various Klipsch packages.  You should probably hit up the forum go-to-guy @MetropolisLakeOutfitters to discuss your speaker needs and package deals.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the information. I'm really a fan of the SVS speakers. Doesn't the 3070 put out enough power for the RP280FA? Why the external amp?

5 hours ago, nubee said:

I have the Yamaha for the past few months and it is outstanding! I'm a novice but I have a pair of RP280FAs up front with the RP450C in between; pair of RP280FAs for surrounds; SVS PB2000 for sub; Emotiva BX-A300 Power Amp running the front speakers. All I can say is WOWSKER!! Just saw the R26FAs on sale and am thinking of purchasing a pair for the back surrounds then I will have a bonafide 11.1.4. All that's left after that is the 2nd sub. quasi hijack of thread: i've read that rears and surrounds are not important to timbre match the front soundstage and if true, any opinions on running the R26FAs as the rear surrounds? Before I lost my mind with this setup, I tried the soundbar route on a few occasions but got tired of compromising! :-)

Edited by mlalla

7 hours ago, mlalla said:

Doesn't the 3070 put out enough power for the RP280FA? Why the external amp?

Headroom baby.:P

A quality outboard amp will always(if $$$ and space permits) be an integral part of my setup.  I am quite sure the 3070 has enough gusto for most systems under most conditions but a good quality amp should be able to only add to that experience.

Don't know much about these entry level Emotiva amps but they seem to be on par or better than most of the flagship AVRs available.

Bill

The Pwr Amp takes over the heavy work for driving the Front L/R RP280FAs and the "Yammy" drives the remainder of the speakers. Like "Willand" said: "Headroom Baby!" My surrounds are RP280Fs and I'm seriously thinking about picking up another pair of the RP280FAs instead of the R260FAs for rear surrounds since they're both on sale; RP280FAs have a deeper discount than the R260FAs. Home Theater bug is much less expensive than car collecting, I can tell you that much, so I'm "going 'wit' it!" You can only live so many times with the time we have on earth :-)

I went with Emotiva's Basics line because the amp I have puts out 150W per channel, perfect for the RP280FAs and yes, I can hear the difference - not an instrumented test. The price was right so I simply had to experiment and "me likes." Just sounds more robust and then if you're into 2 channel stereo music, now you have a dedicated amp for those duties as well.

As I mentioned earlier, I am a novice and eventually - when the budget permits - I will step up to a true Pre/Pro & Pwr Amp separate set up but for now, just looking to finish off the 11.1.4 setup I have in mind, then add an extra Sub before settling down to watch the show! 11.2.4 - Almost There!

AVR watts per channel is only good for 2.0.  Once you add more speakers it drops significantly.  That's not to say 50 or 60 or 80 whatever watts per channel x 7,9,11isn't enough for 99% of the time, it's that dynamic headroom you want.  That's not to say that the Yamaha and other brands don't handle multiple channels well, it's their job after all.  But...that one time, when you want to listen to / watch something rich with noise at ridiculous volumes.  Anyway.  I've got an inexpensive Outlaw 5000, which is a 5channel amp that puts out an honest 125wpc (or so) to all 5 channels at once.  I use that for the front 3 for now, and let the receiver handle the other channels.  

Honestly though, most of the power that speakers need is in the lower frequencies, so if you're crossing over at 80hz to a really good sub, it's kind of a moot point.  I like to turn the sub off sometimes for music and crank it up, in 2.0 or sometimes multi channel so I appreciate having the extra juice.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:33 PM, mlalla said:

Doesn't the 3070 put out enough power for the RP280FA? Why the external amp?

I had to look it up to make sure, the Yammie 3070 can drive 11 speakers, but only has enough onboard amps for 9.  If you want to drive the last two speakers you'll need a 2-channel amp.  That would be 7 channel plus 4 Atmos 7.2.4 if you drove the AVR to its max.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a3070_u/index.html

I won't have 11 speakers anyway. I have 4 RP-280FAs with 4 elevations speakers built into the FA's, 1 center channel and 1 sub. I can still add another sub if I wanted. But like you said, if I want the full 11.2 ATMOS, I will need an external amp and more speakers.   

speaker layout.PNG

Edited by mlalla

1 hour ago, mlalla said:

I won't have 11 speakers anyway. I have 4 RP-280FAs with 4 elevations speakers built into the FA's, 1 center channel and 1 sub. I can still add another sub if I wanted. But like you said, if I want the full 11.2 ATMOS, I will need an external amp and more speakers.   

speaker layout.PNG

The 3070 should work nicely with your setup.  I got mine today and set it up after spending all too much time in the attic installing 4 new in-ceiling speakers (front and rear height) and re-wiring the 2 in ceilings that had cheap lamp cord wires (replaced with proper in-wall/ceiling wire).  Man that was tiring crawling around and moving insulation around etc.   Anyway.

I hooked up just the 3070, left my external amp out for now (so my rear heights won't be engaged for now).  Nominal testing so far it sounds really good.  Coming from a Yamaha 860, the YPAO has more options (height / angle measurements) which I'm glad for considering my in-ceilings (including my non-ideal in-ceiling side surrounds).  though it did decide most of my speakers should be set to large.  Yeah ok maybe the RF-7II...nonetheless it's easy enough to switch them to small and crossover at 80hz.  

It sounds better to me than my 860, and I wasn't expecting that at all.  Not sure if it's the DACs or placebo or what.  Maybe it's the improved YPAO.  Maybe I'm crazy....

Regardless I'm very happy with the 3070.  I'll route the front 3 back to my Outlaw 5000, and the rear heights so I can get the 11.1 I bought it for in the first place :D (and the pain and suffering of installing the height speakers!) - then I'll give it a proper test and blast some good Atmos movies.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2017 at 10:36 PM, bkevind said:

The 3070 should work nicely with your setup.  I got mine today and set it up after spending all too much time in the attic installing 4 new in-ceiling speakers (front and rear height) and re-wiring the 2 in ceilings that had cheap lamp cord wires (replaced with proper in-wall/ceiling wire).  Man that was tiring crawling around and moving insulation around etc.   Anyway.

I hooked up just the 3070, left my external amp out for now (so my rear heights won't be engaged for now).  Nominal testing so far it sounds really good.  Coming from a Yamaha 860, the YPAO has more options (height / angle measurements) which I'm glad for considering my in-ceilings (including my non-ideal in-ceiling side surrounds).  though it did decide most of my speakers should be set to large.  Yeah ok maybe the RF-7II...nonetheless it's easy enough to switch them to small and crossover at 80hz.  

It sounds better to me than my 860, and I wasn't expecting that at all.  Not sure if it's the DACs or placebo or what.  Maybe it's the improved YPAO.  Maybe I'm crazy....

Regardless I'm very happy with the 3070.  I'll route the front 3 back to my Outlaw 5000, and the rear heights so I can get the 11.1 I bought it for in the first place :D (and the pain and suffering of installing the height speakers!) - then I'll give it a proper test and blast some good Atmos movies.

bkevind,
Let me know if you experience this with your 3070. Sometimes when I turn it on the receiver, no sound comes out of the speakers. Then you will see an on-screen display pops up and says "switching audio to external speakers" And then I have sound. It's like the amp is shut off internally or something. It doesn't happen all the time. I'm using a Logitech Harmony remote to turn on all of my equipment and to do the switching to the correct inputs and outputs. When the sound doesn't come on I will just shut everything off and start over. That usually fixes the problem and when you will see the onscreen display says switching audio to external speakers. Has anyone else experienced this issue or know how to fix it without having to reboot the unit?

Edited by mlalla