R26FAs as Rear Surrounds

nubee

I posted this as a response to a member asking about the YAMAHA RX-A3070 and I think I may have hijacked the thread so any opinions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

"I have the Yamaha for the past few months and it is outstanding! I'm a novice but I have a pair of RP280FAs up front with the RP450C in between; pair of RP280FAs for surrounds; SVS PB2000 for sub; Emotiva BX-A300 Power Amp running the front speakers. All I can say is WOWSKER!! Just saw the R26FAs on sale and am thinking of purchasing a pair for the back surrounds then I will have a bonafide 11.1.4. All that's left after that is the 2nd sub. quasi hijack of thread: i've read that rears and surrounds are not important to timbre match the front soundstage and if true, any opinions on running the R26FAs as the rear surrounds? Before I lost my mind with this setup, I tried the soundbar route on a few occasions but got tired of compromising! :-) "

I wouldn't prefer them since they're not in the same line as the RP. However, as surrounds, you would have a much greater chance of success with them than if they were your mains.

I am not sure if Atmos is stingy about timbre, so you might be able to get away with it.

Thank you "...kid." From what I've been reading, timbre matching is a must for the front soundstage and mixing/matching speaker brands for surrounds is not an issue but am now rethinking the strategy since I'm a pair of Floorstanding Dolby Atmos speakers away, I might just splurge for the RP280FAs. A little more research on the way!

1 hour ago, nubee said:

Thank you "...kid." From what I've been reading, timbre matching is a must for the front soundstage and mixing/matching speaker brands for surrounds is not an issue but am now rethinking the strategy since I'm a pair of Floorstanding Dolby Atmos speakers away, I might just splurge for the RP280FAs. A little more research on the way!

Another way to look at that is - god forbid - you have to have servicing done on the front speakers, or something goes wrong up front and you end up 2 speakers down.  Replacing them would not be as traumatic if you already have two at the rear.  I know that's an expensive way to look at it but...silver linings and all.