What is the difference between the R7II and the R7III

skip

11 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Would be curious to know how a molded rubber horn would affect something like a CF4

it would tame the high frequency in the most positive of ways.

Klipsch said they were listening to customers, including the fairly common mod to damp the exterior of the horn.  That may have influenced the use of the molded rubber over the plastic horn, right from the factory.

For damping some people used Dynamat, some used a spray rubber.  I used pure silicone caulk, one 11 oz tube per horn.  Everybody seems to have their own favorite DIY method of damping, but they all work.

The CF-4 to my ears (I own them) has a slightly nasal sound, not accurate.  If you apply silicone caulk it will lower the pitch of the horn using the rap test about 1/3 octave where you rap on the horn with your knuckles, "tick - tock."  IMO it helped to lower or damp a high frequency harshness, along with some other easy mods.  

K-63-KN CD with GE Pure Silicon seal clear, applied asymmetrically to the horn.  The second picture is the stock horn and driver.

The large CD in the foreground of the first picture is a SEOS 12 w/DNA 360 compression driver.

IMG_3776.JPG

CF-4 K-63-N w horn IMG_3741.JPG

CF-4 K-63-KN w horn IMG_3740.JPG

On the surface it appears that the RF7-iii is going to be a noticeable improvement.   The horn looks similar the the RP-series which has been almost universally praised.  The woofers are isolated from each other and have tractrix ports for each woofer.   Improvements in the drivers may be less noticeable, but still likely add to the experience.   

I'm interested to hear some people's listening impressions on these.  

• Like 1

I think I'd wait for the IV's.  I've heard thst they'll be even better.
Personally, I've been waiting on the 8's. Should have all the kinks worked out by then. Hopefully they'll have some cool blowholes.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Deang said:

Why does that just sound plain stupid to me...

me too

22 hours ago, SWL said:

Personally, I've been waiting on the 8's. Should have all the kinks worked out by then. Hopefully they'll have some cool blowholes.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I will be dead before that probably

22 hours ago, oldtimer said:

That would be the dolphin edition.

only at seaworld?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 7:53 PM, Jirachi said:

Would be curious to know how a molded rubber horn would affect something like a CF4

On 11/6/2017 at 7:14 AM, wvu80 said:

it would tame the high frequency in the most positive of ways.

A CF-4 with a molded rubber horn is now an RF7 III.  For $3600, y'all can "upgrade" your horns, too! 

The CF-3 and 4 both sounded great and still do.  They were made over 20 years ago and, to this day, still sound better than many new speakers costing tons more.  I've never put Dynamat, silicone, fiberglass, duct tape, dead road kill, or any other stuff on my horns.  Don't need it.  Braced cabinets, fixed glue problem on back panel, some new caps, and called 'em good. 

Tame the high frequency?  Really?  Maybe it's the source or "receiver" causing the issue.  Funny...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, avguytx said:

A CF-4 with a molded rubber horn is now an RF7 III.  For $3600, y'all can "upgrade" your horns, too! 

The CF-3 and 4 both sounded great and still do.  They were made over 20 years ago and, to this day, still sound better than many new speakers costing tons more.  I've never put Dynamat, silicone, fiberglass, duct tape, dead road kill, or any other stuff on my horns.  Don't need it.  Braced cabinets, fixed glue problem on back panel, some new caps, and called 'em good. 

Tame the high frequency?  Really?  Maybe it's the source or "receiver" causing the issue.  Funny...

:rockon:

I figured it was the shape of the horn combined with the crossover and driver that smoothed the response.  I've never fully believed that it is the softness of the material that makes it smoother but I may be wrong.  What I do know is that molded silicone is significantly cheaper to make so I always believed that this was the driving force behind it.  That last RF-7II horn was getting pretty expensive if you ever bought one by itself.  Again, could be wrong, I do know they are smoother.  

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

If it sounds like the CF-4, they will be phenomenal.  Roy of course was the designer of the CF-4, so if nothing else, he knows what I like.  B)

My CF-4 was a bit nasal and had a harshness in the HF I couldn't "un-hear."  I put silicone seal on the horn, braced the cabs, added some poly-fil and changed the CD, although I think the stock K-63-KN was fantastic.  My CF-4 w/15" sub is now the best speaker I've ever heard, dead flat accurate with great dynamics.

Maybe I upgraded my CF-4 to sound like the RF-7 III?  :)