Got a Fisher 500C for my Cornwall II's

svberger

Picked up this restored beauty yesterday, and have been enjoying the heck out of it the last 24 hours. I've had other Fisher pieces in the past, including another 500C, but this by far is the best sounding, and best looking, of all of them. The sound with the Cornies is as sweet and creamy as one might imagine. One of those periods where it's hard to turn stuff off and go to bed. 

1104171525.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, svberger said:

Picked up this restored beauty yesterday, and have been enjoying the heck out of it the last 24 hours. I've had other Fisher pieces in the past, including another 500C, but this by far is the best sounding, and best looking, of all of them. The sound with the Cornies is as sweet and creamy as one might imagine. One of those periods where it's hard to turn stuff off and go to bed. 

1104171525.jpg

Oh my that looks minty!

• Like 1

The story behind this: Its one of the very last produced with a serial number of 81110+, which helps explain its great cosmetics. I got it from a local audio pal who has a large stash of vintage pieces, including tons of Fisher gear, that he restores. He had this one for a couple years, replaced pretty much every cap, with the intention of keeping for himself. I’d been looking for a Fisher to use with the Cornwall’s for a while, went to his workshop. This place is literally like a Fisher museum. Truly amazing if you’re into this kind of thing, which I am. Looked at a few different options, then he brings out the 500C. Needless to say,  I was smitten. The best part is that I had some gear that I wasn’t using that he took in for trade, so I got this for a great price. It’s pretty much perfect in every way, including how strong the tuner is. Lots of good FM in the Bay Area, and it all sounds better through this. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your comments. Love sharing this kind of stuff with folks who appreciate it as much as I do. 

The guy who I got the 500C from also has a stash of cabinets for his different pieces. I know cabs are sold on Ebay quite a bit. There's also these guys for folks who want a beautiful custom cab. Not necessarily cheap, but I had them make me a cabinet for a previous Fisher piece and they do outstanding work. 

http://mcintoshcabinets.com/

4 hours ago, ccdowenye said:

The more I look at your beautiful Fisher the more I’m willing to pull the trigger on one. I just need to find a nice one!

I see that you are in Utah so you're not terribly far from Ken and Lloyd at Analog Engineering Associates in California.  In addition to electronic restoration, they offer some of the most amazing cosmetic restoration work that I've ever seen:

http://aeaaudio.com/vintage-amp-store/

Maynard

On 11/6/2017 at 4:06 PM, ccdowenye said:

They must do great work as everything they have is sold!

Again  thanks for the link. I’ll be checking them daily!’

I don't know how often people update their websites... you might just call to find out what they have available.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow. I bet that's an amazing pairing. I've always wondered how a Fisher tube would pair with Bell's. If I were to buy another receiver it would be one like yours. Not Sansui, Marantz etc..

Unfortunately, here in Sacramento I don't find them at all. Fully restored? Not a chance. You have an amazing receiver. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...