Inflammation, Longevity and Chronic Illness

Jeff Matthews

35 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

No idea whether it's real or not but it reads like an infomercial.

At the bottom of the site, buy my book, available now for pre-order:

That’s why I created a comprehensive companion tool, the “Fat for Fuel Ketogenic Cookbook: Recipes and Ketogenic Keys to Health from a World-Class Doctor and an Internationally Renowned Chef,” with celebrity chef Pete Evans.

It doesn't mean the info isn't good, but I agree with Carl, the site is polished like an ad, not like an informational article.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Eat healthy and stay active is simple enough advice.  For most, one is usually harder than the other.

Right.  That's almost rhetorical.

I know we have a few medical professionals around here and probably a few others who have some interest in the topic.  I was interested in the specific science described.  Namely, the claim that chronic inflammation is a sign of myriad degenerative illnesses such as arthritis, diabetes, muscular dystrophy,  atherosclerosis, heart disease, cancer, etc.  Next, the claim that the amount of chronic inflammation observed in very old people (longevity) is reduced, compared to the average population.  Next, the claim that elevated inflammation is associated with high levels of cytokines in the blood.  Next, the claim that muscular contraction produces/secretes myokines, which bond with cytokines and eliminate them.  Finally, the claim that the source of inflammation is free radicals, which come from oils and refined sugars, including carbohydrates.

It is really interesting, and from what I can gather, this explains why so many new drugs on the market come with side effects, such as muscle and joint pain, cancer, etc.  From what I can gather so far, these drugs are designed to target the inflammatory process and regulate it.  If this is so, it tends to at least show the pharmaceutical industry surely believes it's not bunk.

But I am still reading on this topic...  Wiki has a nice discussion on inflammation here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammation  I admit it is slow reading, with all the jargon, but I think I have described the claims reasonably well.

10 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

From what I can gather so far, these drugs are designed to target the inflammatory process and regulate it.  If this is so, it tends to at least show the pharmaceutical industry surely believes it's not bunk.

Example:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/27/science/ilaris-heart-disease-cancer-study.html

Many forms of arthritis are inflammatory.  So that condition is practically definitional.  I highly suspect there are more sources of inflammation than free radicals from oils and carbs.  When you get it all figured out, let us know, since for me and most people we have enough on our hands to do well enough to simply eat a healthy diet and keep active as we age.  It is an interesting topic, no doubt.