LA SCALA CROSSOVERS ( ALK OR CRITES ) WHATS BETTER?

klipsch1

Me personally, start out with just replacing the caps with something like the Dayton 5% caps from Parts Express (very reasonable), Solen Caps (similar price), and quite a few others that aren't much more.  I'm building a set of Belle's and using old Type AA crossovers and swapping out the caps.  Start easy....listen and enjoy.....make decision to spend more money, or not, later down the line.

If you can remove those metal cans in the crossover and solder a smaller replacement cap where the old ones were, then you're golden.  You might post where you are as a forum member might be close enough to help you out.  I know I'd be glad to help.

Just my $.02

1 minute ago, avguytx said:

Me personally, start out with just replacing the caps with something like the Dayton 5% caps from Parts Express (very reasonable), Solen Caps (similar price), and quite a few others that aren't much more.  I'm building a set of Belle's and using old Type AA crossovers and swapping out the caps.  Start easy....listen and enjoy.....make decision to spend more lmoney or not later down the line.

If you can remove those metal cans in the crossover and solder a smaller replacement cap where the old ones were, then you're golden.  You might post where you are as a forum member might be close enough to help you out.  I know I'd be glad to help.

Just my $.02

Thanks so much. if its that simple as to just un solder and put in place new caps where those old metal cans are, then I can do that. I was just concerned about what direction those caps need to go in . but if its all the same and just a matter of taking out the old cans and putting in place new caps in the exact same spot then I will do that. You guys are the best. by the way . I'm in Toronto , Ontario in Canada. :)

ok so just to make sure that I understand. ( I don't want to make any mistakes ). all I have to do is just take out the old metal cans and replace in the exact same place the new caps? would anyone have a picture of the AA crossover with those caps in place so I can see exactly where each wire would go or maybe a diagram? I just don't want to ruin anything. thanks

Just google...

klipsch type aa crossover new caps

And you'll see some pictures. 

And Crites website has pictures in a tutorial for the Type AA. His rebuild kit is $96 and comes with good caps plus some zip ties and cap mounts. If you have a basic solder iron, solder, heat shrink, and wire snips, you're in business. If you wanted to order lesser priced caps like Dayton or Solen, I/we would be glad to help you out. 

http://www.critesspeakers.com/rebuilding_a_set_of_type_aa.html

49 minutes ago, jason str said:

Bob's type A 4500 crossovers are a very noticeable improvement and well worth the investment though the tweeters will need to be replaced for this option.

And with the addition one inductor, an AA can become a A/4500. Along with the new caps. 

8 minutes ago, klipsch1 said:

I just purchased his AA rebuild kit.  So now I will have to change my tweeters? or will it be just fine? I can wait to hear what my lascars are supposed to sound like :)

Only if you change the crossover frequency such as on the 4500 type, the stock tweeter will handle very little power crossed that low.

17 hours ago, klipsch1 said:

Thanks so much. if its that simple as to just un solder and put in place new caps where those old metal cans are, then I can do that. I was just concerned about what direction those caps need to go in . but if its all the same and just a matter of taking out the old cans and putting in place new caps in the exact same spot then I will do that. You guys are the best. by the way . I'm in Toronto , Ontario in Canada. :)

16 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Oh then forget it.  This is Redwings territory. ;)

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Don't listen to the geezer.  I'll have a gift for you when I get my internet back.

:check:

:leafs:

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2017 at 3:04 PM, The Dude said:

Is that the only thing being reused?  I ask as I do not have a pair and would like to know where one could obtain a pair,  ( of tweeter coils of course). 

How would this AA network fair with aftermarket horns and tweeters?  I only consider the Universal from ALK as it is just that, universal.  If I know something else will work with aftermarket horns and drivers, then I would try it.

NOT that kind of universal.  It is usable in K-horn, Belle and La Scala (Big Klipsch universal), considerable knowledge and mods requires to use them in, say, JBLs. 

• Thanks 1